• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love the sinner hate the sin?

lovedmb

Flappycat said:
I see no reason at all to get emotionally involved in the negative behavior of others. If it negatively affects you or another, prevent or mitigate any harm through your actions if you can. In the absence of harmful effect, mind your own business.

And dude, most of those laws in Leviticus were probably intended for the protection of the Hebrews, possibly because of severe public health hazards of the time, so chill on the weird behavioral restrictions. I don't even believe in the guy, and I feel sorry for him for the reputation as some kinda screwball.
And the picking and choosing from Leviticus! LOL, let's not even go there!:biglaugh:
Great post.

Aqualung said:
Is this even possible anymore? Every time I mention a hate for a sin, I automatically get labeled as hateful, spiteful, judgemental, hypocritical, un-christ-like, and a miriad of other insults (which, BTW, are directed at me, and not my "sin"). Is it now the societal expectation that I love sin, as well as the sinner? After all, Paul told us to be in the world, but not of the world. You can't do that without recognising sin and disliking it enough to stay away from it. Christ taught us to love our neighbour as ourself, not love everything the neighbour the does. Can you love the sinner and hate the sin?
Aqualung,

I think that is a question only you can answer for yourself. Can you?

Aqualung

Tasty
Divine Androgyne said:
Aqualung,

I think that is a question only you can answer for yourself. Can you?
Sure, but how much fun is it to debate with yourself, especially when you agree?

linwood

lovedmb said:
If you do, would you mind directing me there? I'm new (obviously) and am not overly familiar with everything.
Most definately.
I`ll post it tomorrow sometime and PM you.

:)

lovedmb

Aqualung said:
Sure, but how much fun is it to debate with yourself, especially when you agree?
Funny, I have the *same* problem! I always agree with myself!
Frubals to you for making me LOL. I should be doing my accounting homework, but this was a nice distraction! :biglaugh:

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Ðanisty said:
I've always thought the concept of loving the sinner and hating the sin to be pretty idiotic in the first place. Either you oppose something or you do not. For example, claiming to love a homosexual while condemning their homosexuality is not only contradictory but insulting. If I was on the receiving end of such feelings, I'd just ask you to save your "love" for people you think really deserve it.

That is funny,seriously, do know what you are actually saying here?
Your saying you can't oppose things people do that are hurtful to themself and others and still love them at the same time.
How would express those views toward your child in the area of discipline,let's say your little johnny punched little suzie in the nose and then kicked her while she was down,then stole her bicycle.
Either your a relativist and you won't discipline because there is neither right or wrong, or you are going to follow your view as in the above and lie to her and tell her it was not bad what you did for fear you might send the wrong message and appear unloving and contradict yourself while insulting your little johnny at the same time.:banghead3

Or you will express your disapproval of such behavior and punish him because you love him and you don't want him ever doing that again to someone ,just as if you would not want big bad billy come along and kick the life out of your little Johnny.

It would appear in soceity that most parents can and do hate(intensely dislike) the sins(missing the mark) of their children while still loving them.
If you were never discouraged, rebuked and disciplined from such destructive and hurtful behaviors and actions as a kid ,I would have to believe you would be one messed up adult as your parents must be.

God is a loving Father, who disciplines ,rebukes, scourges his children for their own benefit,but he is not responsible for the decisions they make and or the repercussions of those actions after the fact that they were taught how to behave.
Just as you or I would'nt be for our own kids after being raised in a good home and someday them going out to kill someone.
Will the parent hate the child no,I think not, maybe hate and be very troubled by the behavior ,or at least you would hope but loving and acceptance of the child alone I think so.