• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love the sinner hate the sin?

Aqualung

Tasty
Is this even possible anymore? Every time I mention a hate for a sin, I automatically get labeled as hateful, spiteful, judgemental, hypocritical, un-christ-like, and a miriad of other insults (which, BTW, are directed at me, and not my "sin"). Is it now the societal expectation that I love sin, as well as the sinner? After all, Paul told us to be in the world, but not of the world. You can't do that without recognising sin and disliking it enough to stay away from it. Christ taught us to love our neighbour as ourself, not love everything the neighbour the does. Can you love the sinner and hate the sin?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Aqualung said:
Is this even possible anymore? Every time I mention a hate for a sin, I automatically get labeled as hateful, spiteful, judgemental, hypocritical, un-christ-like, and a miriad of other insults (which, BTW, are directed at me, and not my "sin"). Is it now the societal expectation that I love sin, as well as the sinner? After all, Paul told us to be in the world, but not of the world. You can't do that without recognising sin and disliking it enough to stay away from it. Christ taught us to love our neighbour as ourself, not love everything the neighbour the does. Can you love the sinner and hate the sin?
i don't know ........ i guess it depends upon how you show disapprival for that sin

if you say "i completely condone every aspect of the homosexual lifestyle" but then say "but i love you as a person" - well, it's hurtful, and will probably recieve a negative response

im not saying you cannot believe how you do, i am merely pointing out how people will react to your beliefs

Ori

Angel slayer
It doesn't seem to work, when I used to be a christian I had the same experiences as you Aqualung.

Aqualung

Tasty
Okay, so I"m supposed to embrace every sin that I ever see anybody commit? When Jesus or Paul took the time to explain what sin was, that was so we could know how to sin correctly?

Ðanisty

I've always thought the concept of loving the sinner and hating the sin to be pretty idiotic in the first place. Either you oppose something or you do not. For example, claiming to love a homosexual while condemning their homosexuality is not only contradictory but insulting. If I was on the receiving end of such feelings, I'd just ask you to save your "love" for people you think really deserve it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I, too fall short, Aqualung, particularly when the sin is particularly heinous or the sinner unrepentant or even proud of his misdeeds.
I also become quite irked and depressed when society backs him up and celebrates his sins.

pdoel

Aqualung said:
Okay, so I"m supposed to embrace every sin that I ever see anybody commit? When Jesus or Paul took the time to explain what sin was, that was so we could know how to sin correctly?
Personally, I think we've all been saved from Sin as a result of Jesus Christ's death. We all are sinners. I think too many people forget that and only seem to like to tell of other people's sins they see as being wrong.

We all sin. No sin is greater or worse than another. But through Jesus Christ, we are all saved. Case closed.

As to how people react to being told that you do not like their sins. Think of it this way. How do you feel when people tell you that you are not a Christian, and that you have chosen to follow the false prophet of Joseph Smith, therefore, you are not a Christian and a sinner?

That hurts, doesn't it? So why wouldn't it hurt when the same is done to any other sinner?

Aqualung

Tasty
Ðanisty said:
I've always thought the concept of loving the sinner and hating the sin to be pretty idiotic in the first place. Either you oppose something or you do not. For example, claiming to love a homosexual while condemning their homosexuality is not only contradictory but insulting. If I was on the receiving end of such feelings, I'd just ask you to save your "love" for people you think really deserve it.
How is that contradictory? There's no contradiction. You can seperate a person from their sins. Well, I can. One doesn't have to think about them completely the same. It's the difference between thinking of a person as a sinner, and thinking of them as a person who sins.

Aqualung

Tasty
pdoel said:
Personally, I think we've all been saved from Sin as a result of Jesus Christ's death. We all are sinners. I think too many people forget that and only seem to like to tell of other people's sins they see as being wrong.

We all sin. No sin is greater or worse than another. But through Jesus Christ, we are all saved. Case closed.

As to how people react to being told that you do not like their sins. Think of it this way. How do you feel when people tell you that you are not a Christian, and that you have chosen to follow the false prophet of Joseph Smith, therefore, you are not a Christian and a sinner?

That hurts, doesn't it? So why wouldn't it hurt when the same is done to any other sinner?
We're not asking if it hurts. Sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes it's hard to hear that. But even if I don't voice it (which I wouldn't if it weren't for this forum), can I still hate the sin yet love the sinner?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Aqualung said:
no, im not sayinyou need to change anything

all i am stating is that when you say to someone "i love you as a person, but i hate your sins, and i think your lifestyle is a sin" people will not be able to differentiate, no matter how earnest you are

this is not a fault in you, and you should not change your beliefs because of it, i am merely pointing out how it will be recieved by others

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Aqualung said:
I can love the sinner and hate the sin. Jesus Christ loved the sinner but hated the sin.

It's the Christian's responsibility to stand firm for Christ. And in doing so, you're going to wind up in arguments. You're going to inevitably turn your back against ideals that you know are wrong and unGodly.

As Christians we SHOULD love the sinner, as Christ loves(d) the sinner. But we are not obliged to to play the role of "push over" for the sake of love...for the sake of saving face.

Ðanisty

Aqualung said:
How is that contradictory? There's no contradiction. You can seperate a person from their sins. Well, I can. One doesn't have to think about them completely the same. It's the difference between thinking of a person as a sinner, and thinking of them as a person who sins.
Because for some the sin is an integral part of who they are...the sin is inseperable from the sinner. I would assume you think I'm a sinner because I admire and respect Lucifer and look to him for guidance. My faith in Lucifer is such a part of me that it can't be taken away without me becoming someone else or broken entirely. If you hate that part of me, then you may as well hate me. I'm a big girl. I can handle it.

pdoel

Aqualung said:
We're not asking if it hurts. Sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes it's hard to hear that. But even if I don't voice it (which I wouldn't if it weren't for this forum), can I still hate the sin yet love the sinner?
What's the point of hate? Do you know how much baggage that carries? Why hate anything? It's not our place to hate Sin. God does that for us. We ALL have sin and we all CONTINUE to sin. So I guess I just don't understand the point of picking out every single sin and marking it as something you hate.

We each interpret religion differently. Not ONE of us has any idea if our interpretations are correct, or even close. I can say that there is no human alive (or who was ever alive) who knew ALL the answers (Except for Jesus).

I guess I just don't understand what the purpose of hate or judging is. I can judge people all I want, but what does that get me? Maybe an ulcer? And there's no way my judgements will be completely accurate according to God's true plan.

So, I say live your life, let others live theirs. Be accepting of each other and realize we're not all going to share the same ideas.

Aqualung

Tasty
Ðanisty said:
Because for some the sin is an integral part of who they are...the sin is inseperable from the sinner. I would assume you think I'm a sinner because I admire and respect Lucifer and look to him for guidance. My faith in Lucifer is such a part of me that it can't be taken away without me becoming someone else or broken entirely. If you hate that part of me, then you may as well hate me. I'm a big girl. I can handle it.
Actually, I don't think that's sinful. I think that's misguided. :D

dawny0826 said:
I can love the sinner and hate the sin. Jesus Christ loved the sinner but hated the sin.

It's the Christian's responsibility to stand firm for Christ. And in doing so, you're going to wind up in arguments. You're going to inevitably turn your back against ideals that you know are wrong and unGodly.

As Christians we SHOULD love the sinner, as Christ loves(d) the sinner. But we are not obliged to love the sin and are not under obligation to play the role of "push over" for the sake of love...for the sake of saving face.
Thank you! :clap

Aqualung

Tasty
pdoel said:
What's the point of hate? Do you know how much baggage that carries? Why hate anything? It's not our place to hate Sin. God does that for us. We ALL have sin and we all CONTINUE to sin. So I guess I just don't understand the point of picking out every single sin and marking it as something you hate.
We have to hate sin. If we don't hate sin, why not just jump head first into it?

I guess I just don't understand what the purpose of hate or judging is. I can judge people all I want, but what does that get me? Maybe an ulcer? And there's no way my judgements will be completely accurate according to God's true plan.
What I don't understand is why you think that hating a sin is judging as spoken against in the Bible. So much of the Bible is explain sin so that we won't jump into it.

So, I say live your life, let others live theirs. Be accepting of each other and realize we're not all going to share the same ideas.
I do let others live theirs, because I love the sinner.

Aqualung

Tasty
Mike182 said:
is there a difference?
sin is knowingly doing that which you know you should not do. Misguidence is doing what you should be not be doing either because a) you don't know you shouldn't be doing it or b) you think you should be doing it.

pdoel

Aqualung said:
What I don't understand is why you think that hating a sin is judging as spoken against in the Bible. So much of the Bible is explain sin so that we won't jump into it.
Here's a perfect example. My Bible teaches me that judging is a sin. Yours does not. Yours teaches you that homosexaulity is a sin, mine does not.

Who is right? Why is it ok for you to continually say homosexuality is a sin and you hate the act of homosexuality, but it's not ok for me to say you are a sinner for judging others?

Who is right? We won't know until judgement day. That's why I think it's silly to point fingers on things we will not know the answer to until we stand before God and are judged.

Aqualung

Tasty
Well, you'd probably not be saying I"m judging if you think I'm judging, because then you fall into your own sin. But if I think that homosexuality is a sin, I'd better be prepared to know what homosexuality is and to recognise it and to hate it, lest I go down that same path.

pdoel

Aqualung said:
Well, you'd probably not be saying I"m judging if you think I'm judging, because then you fall into your own sin. But if I think that homosexuality is a sin, I'd better be prepared to know what homosexuality is and to recognise it and to hate it, lest I go down that same path.
Actually, no. I can think that you are judging without judging you for doing so. That's not my job to judge. It's God's.

:)