• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin OR Do Fundies just really HATE gays?

Walkntune

I think the problem is that you are comparing a destructive addiction to a substance to being homosexual.
I think the problem is people spin things to mean what they want or assume.
I have CLEARLY addressed the issue that the alcoholism was in reference to not understanding how someone can love a sinner and hate a sin.
In fact I have addressed it twice.Take any meaning past this and I can only assume you are really addressing issues in your own heart!
How can one really hate the sin and love the sinner anyway? People are defined by their actions, and to say you hate what a person does to make them happy is to say you hate them as a person. I'm not defending what all people do to make them happy, such as pedophiles and murderers, but what gays do is consensual, so where is the justification, other than in this or that holy text, for hating them?

This is the post I was addressing.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Really? I wouldn't hit on you if I knew you was straight

Some will though and thats life..

Just like some straights wil hit on gays..

They just "like you" ..as a person and possibley hoping for more..

Some are just flirting for fun and seriously wouldnt want anything "sexual " with you at all and you are just too serious and uptight..And it goes both ways..

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I think the problem is people spin things to mean what they want or assume.
I have CLEARLY addressed the issue that the alcoholism was in reference to not understanding how someone can love a sinner and hate a sin.
In fact I have addressed it twice.Take any meaning past this and I can only assume you are really addressing issues in your own heart!

This is the post I was addressing.

OMG..now you are saying Im adressing issues in "my own heart".?

I guess you are missing the point..

The point is you seem to consider homosexuality a sin.Period.

Thats not an issue with my "heart"..thats an issue with yours.

Love

Dallas

Walkntune

OMG..now you are saying Im adressing issues in "my own heart".?

I guess you are missing the point..

The point is you seem to consider homosexuality a sin.Period.

Thats not an issue with my "heart"..thats an issue with yours.

Love

Dallas
OK lets get this straight to see if we are spinning things.
Did I say you are addressing issues with your own heart or did I say if you spin this past my explained intentions then I can only assume you are addressing issues in your own heart?
Where did I say homosexuality is a sin?
Was it in the statement" I don't understand homosexuality enough to criticise?"
Please show me in my posts so I can see where you are coming from!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Did I say you are addressing issues with your own heart or did I say if you spin this past my explained intentions then I can only assume you are addressing issues in your own heart?

Yep you said that ...And apparently if I responded it woud be a "spin" and an issue with my own "heart".

My only other option was to say "I completely agree"..In order for it NOT to be a spin and not an issue with my own heart or just not respond at all.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
In the words of the Westboro Baptist Church, "I don't hate gays, God hates gays."

Just forget it..Apparently you have issues with your heart and cant read words on a peice of screen paper.. And not see that if you are homosexual its similar to an alcoholic but not really even though thats the comparison given..

Like any other sin ...

Love

Dallas

Walkntune

Yep you said that ...And apparently if I responded it woud be a "spin" and an issue with my own "heart".

and not an issue with my own heart or just not respond at all.

Love

Dallas
Look! I tied the alcoholism in with the post how can someone love a sinner and hate a sin.
I showed you the post it was in reference to and spelled it out for you.
You tied it in with homosexuality.Why did you do that?
My only other option was to say "I completely agree"..In order for it NOT to be a spin
Your saying you would rather spin it in order for there to be a debate then to accept the idea I mentioned how one could love a sinner and not a sin! Gotcha!
You wanted to find an angle to pounce on?
Let there be no shame in your game!

Can I request from the MODS that this thread be moved over to drama?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Look! I tied the alcoholism in with the post how can someone love a sinner and hate a sin.
I showed you the post it was in reference to and spelled it out for you.
You tied it in with homosexuality.Why did you do that?

Your saying you would rather spin it in order for there to be a debate then to accept the idea I mentioned how one could love a sinner and not a sin! Gotcha!
You wanted to find an angle to pounce on?
Let there be no shame in your game!

Can I request from the MODS that this thread be moved over to drama?

O.K.:yes:

Love

Dallas

Duck

I have had friends that were homosexual and were fun to be around though I never could relate to their sexual preferences.I am a very soft hearted guy and quite sensitive to others feelings.I always put myself in others shoes but that one is just a little more complicated! I do get hit on by gays occasionally and have pondered why. I thought they just sensed my sensitivity and maybe found it attractive or safe. I am not judgemental on someones shortcomings( not saying homosexuality is ) but I love dancing around someone's ego!
;)

So if you can put yourself in others shoes, try this one... Your gay friends can't "relate to" your "sexual preferences" either, ever thought of that? Without meaning to offer offense to any women here, but I really don't get what heterosexual men find attractive there. Give me broad shoulders, a hairy chest and muscular legs anyday (not to leave out a nice willy either)!

Perhaps you are being hit on by gay men because they find you physically attractive? How did you react to being hit on by a gay man? Did you say 'no thank you' or did you get violent? Hopefully it was the former.

Walkntune

So if you can put yourself in others shoes, try this one... Your gay friends can't "relate to" your "sexual preferences" either, ever thought of that? Without meaning to offer offense to any women here, but I really don't get what heterosexual men find attractive there. Give me broad shoulders, a hairy chest and muscular legs anyday (not to leave out a nice willy either)!

Perhaps you are being hit on by gay men because they find you physically attractive? How did you react to being hit on by a gay man? Did you say 'no thank you' or did you get violent? Hopefully it was the former.

I got caught in a very awkward moment of being caught off guard and trying not to hurt someone's feelings.I told him I was only interested in females and he said to bad!

Another time I met someone where I used to walk in the park everyday. He was sharing a story about a girl he just broke up with half his age.anyway after just normal conversations for a few days he finally broke down and told me the she was a he and that he didn't blame me if i didn't want to be friends.I told him as long as he understood there would never be any interests but I was puzzled to why he lied to try and hang around someone playing straight in order to get to know them?

I guess I have always been naive in this area. A girl I hung around would always tell me when other girls were flirting and I would argue that they weren't and just being friendly.She always told me I was naive.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
As long as Christian groups spend large amounts of resources towards denying gays basic civil rights, e.g. protection against discrimination, the "love the sinner, hate the sin" thing will be a joke to me.

There's no love in, "We're working hard to allow you to be fired for no other reason than being gay".

IOW, those Christian groups seek to deny rights to others that they demand for themselves. That's pure bigotry to me.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
OP:Fundamentalists are individuals like everyone else, so it depends. There are "fundies" who hate everything they call a sin. The problem is that they [those types] overlook their own sins.

But even if being a homosexual really was a sin, they should not judge them anyway- Jesus, Himself, talked to people who were called sinners by the more upright folks of the day. It is said that Jesus came for the "sinners", and that he came to save the world, not to condemn it. On top of all else, no one is without sin- so condemning someone is like condemning yourself. Hating another person is like hating yourself.

Duck

Another time I met someone where I used to walk in the park everyday. He was sharing a story about a girl he just broke up with half his age.anyway after just normal conversations for a few days he finally broke down and told me the she was a he and that he didn't blame me if i didn't want to be friends.I told him as long as he understood there would never be any interests but I was puzzled to why he lied to try and hang around someone playing straight in order to get to know them?

Perhaps this gentleman was concerned that your initial reaction would have been violent? Something that is a legitimate concern for many LGBT folks.

Jeremiah

If you hate the "sin" then you hate me because that is who I am; it cannot be divided. How can you say you love me when you condemn what makes me who I am?

Pointless, senseless hate of any kind is destructive. So let me ask you this: Does this notion actually reduce sexual prejudice or is it only making it worst?

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member
If you hate the "sin" then you hate me because that is who I am; the two cannot be divided. How can you say you love me when you condemn what makes me who I am?

i refuse the word hate anyway but don't you think your actions are chosen by you and they define what you are and who you are is far from any act because it is a spiritual existence? our actions and how we live our lives can change or evolve but who we are remains the same IMO

Jeremiah

i refuse the word hate anyway but don't you think your actions are chosen by you and they define what you are and who you are is far from any act because it is a spiritual existence? our actions and how we live our lives can change or evolve but who we are remains the same IMO

"
don't you think your actions are chosen by you and they define what you are and who you are is far from any act because it is a spiritual existence?"

I am sorry but this does not make sense. Please try rewording it.

Smoke

Done here.
Some will though and thats life.
Straight men object to being hit on by gay men either because they are insecure about their sexuality or because they are homophobes who consider it an insult to be mistaken for a gay or bisexual man. (There's considerable overlap between the two categories, since closet cases and insecure straight men make the most emphatic homophobes.) I have even seen straight men get offended and upset when they were hit on by men while in a gay bar. The same kind of reaction is common among straight women who get hit on by gay women, though women are less likely to turn violent over it.

Gay men are accustomed to being hit on by straight women. I got hit on all the time when I was younger, even by women I met in gay bars. Gay women are accustomed to being hit on by straight men, and even to being hit on by straight men precisely because they're gay.

We aren't supposed to be insulted by this kind of thing. We're expected to take it all in good humor and for the most part we do. Those straight people who have such a huge problem with being hit on by gay people are revealing their bigotry and their lack of maturity.

Nevertheless, since such bigotry and immaturity are disturbingly common among straight people, it's a good idea for gay people to exercise some caution. It's never pleasant to be the focus of all that.