• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love is ...

Love is

• an action

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • an emotion

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Love requires both action and emotion

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
One time when I was in church, my Pastor said “Love is an action, not an emotion.” That stuck with me, and I have let that philosophy dictate how I manage my personal relationships. I have always attempted to allow my emotions to be a secondary priority in relationships. Perhaps my pastor was wrong, and love is an emotion. I’m not so sure as I used to be that love is solely an action, devoid of emotion. So I create a poll on RF, asking what is love?

Lain

One time when I was in church, my Pastor said “Love is an action, not an emotion.” That stuck with me, and I have let that philosophy dictate how I manage my personal relationships. I have always attempted to allow my emotions to be a secondary priority in relationships. Perhaps my pastor was wrong, and love is an emotion. I’m not so sure as I used to be that love is solely an action, devoid of emotion. So I create a poll on RF, asking what is love?

I voted "an action," for while love might have an emotion and an action together it does not require an emotion. Love by definition is an act of the will, that is the root of it, so even with a great emotional bitterness towards a person it is fully possible to love them to ridiculous heights simply by an act of the will.

Emotions should be secondary, even tertiary, or even almost irrelevant in your relationships. They come and go, often not even under your control, but a will to love someone can be constant and when this will is mutual and strong the relationship will survive. We shouldn't trust our emotions anyway.

King Phenomenon

I voted "an action," for while love might have an emotion and an action together it does not require an emotion. Love by definition is an act of the will, that is the root of it, so even with a great emotional bitterness towards a person it is fully possible to love them to ridiculous heights simply by an act of the will.

Emotions should be secondary, even tertiary, or even almost irrelevant in your relationships. They come and go, often not even under your control, but a will to love someone can be constant and when this will is mutual and strong the relationship will survive. We shouldn't trust our emotions anyway.
I suppose you could do all kinds of loving acts with no emotion and live with a monotone voice even haha but one might want to shed a smidgen of that “love emotion” in one’s life.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

There is a Taoist saying “if there was no happiness, there would be no sadness”

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Love the way i understand it is by unconditionally loving all beings. There would not be a need for a good action to unconditionally love someone. But there would not be a need for emotions either.

Unconditional love is love because you can, not because of need :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me, the impulse to spontaneous action is the natural response of love when a need is seen. If a loved child falls and skins a knee, a loving parent will want to comfort the child and put a bandage on the scrape.

King Phenomenon

To me, the impulse to spontaneous action is the natural response of love when a need is seen. If a loved child falls and skins a knee, a loving parent will want to comfort the child and put a bandage on the scrape.
Is the impulse to spontaneously dry off after a shower love?

King Phenomenon

Love the way i understand it is by unconditionally loving all beings. There would not be a need for a good action to unconditionally love someone. But there would not be a need for emotions either.

Unconditional love is love because you can, not because of need :)
Unconditional love to me is loving a son that committed a bad crime say which would require an act of associating with them and the emotion of being joyous with them.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Love for others is selflessness, or I should say being unselfish, putting others’ interests ahead of your own. It requires action, but it is emotion, too....that moves to action. Love is a motivator.

King Phenomenon

Love for others is selflessness, or I should say being unselfish, putting others’ interests ahead of your own. It requires action, but it is emotion, too....that moves to action. Love is a motivator.
Eh just don’t over do it…. Oneself might be even more important. For without proper care of yourself your no good to no one

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Love is an emotion, a function of the brain that cam be measured on an mri. Any actions born of love are secondary consequences of that emotion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I see it as both. If someone can't perform actions and/or their actions are compromised then the best way they can show love really is maybe expressing how they feel through their feelings with others. Opening themselves up. Someone who doesn't have emotions and all actions doesn't sound like they are humanely entuned with people they may be doing things for. Emotions without actions can give the wrong signal that you do not care unless you act on it. I feel it goes hand in hand. Like "I love you" and a hug. I'm hungry and fixing food. Will you marry me and the commitment. Crying out trauma and working through it through your relationship with others.

RestlessSoul

There is a Taoist saying “if there was no happiness, there would be no sadness”

Have you watched any of the Fargo TV Series? In Series 3 there's a character, VM Varga, who is almost the embodiment of evil. At one point he says "The problem is not that evil exists, but that good does. Because if it didn't, no one would care."

I wonder if the writers had that Taoist saying in mind?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
My wife and I were married for 61 years and then she died two yrs. ago,

We had a little argument just about every day, usually she was right.

I miss her terribly. That could be real love, in all the right ways.

RestlessSoul

My wife and I were married for 61 years and then she died two yrs. ago,

We had a little argument just about every day, usually she was right.

I miss her terribly. That could be real love, in all the right ways.

Yes, yes it could. Not many people get to experience what you have had; you’ve been blessed, my friend.