• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love For All, Hatred For None

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
God cannot have a biological son because God is not a man. It’s that simple.

Perhaps we should count how many scriptures you ignore to uphold the claims of your prophet.....?

God created Adam as his first biological son. (Luke 3:38) He created Jesus as his second biological son. A life transferred from heaven to the egg cell of a Jewish virgin....born to be the savior of mankind by paying the debt that Adam left for his children.....sin and death. A perfect sinless life needed to be offered in exchange for the perfect sinless life that Adam took from all of us. Jesus had to come from outside the the now imperfect sinful human race to pay the "ransom".

“More specifically, what does the original author mean by “only begotten?” Of course, the original author didn’t write in English; he wrote in Greek. The single Greek word translated “only begotten” is monogenes. Ancient writers often used this adjective to describe a child’s unique relationship with their parent. Moreover, the emphasis was on the specific relationship, not the physical begetting itself. In fact, monogenes is better understood to describe a relationship as “one-of-a-kind” or “unique.” This is exactly how the biblical writers would have understood the word.

Likewise, Jesus is God’s unique, one-of-a-kind Son. You can call him the “only begotten” Son if you like, but remember, this word isn’t about procreation. It’s about a unique relationship between the Father and Son.”
What Does It Mean That Jesus Is God’s Only Begotten Son?
And your source has what credentials to give you better scriptural advice about that, than mine?

"Monogenes" simply means an only child. The "special relationship" this gives an only child to a parent, is that there are no siblings. This word is used throughout the scriptures to describe other "only children". It has no special meaning when applied to Christ but simply means that he was produced in a different way to all other "sons of God".

Jesus the man was not an "only child" in the sense of having no siblings, because as a son of Mary and the adopted son of Joseph, he had at least 6 half brothers and sisters.

Jesus was not the agency through which all things were created, God was the agency through which all things were created. I do not consider anything Paul wrote to be “the Gospel Truth.”

Who said Paul's writing are not as valid as any other apostle's contribution to scripture? If the Bible is God's word, then what is in that book is there because God wants it to be there.....who is to say otherwise? You can't pick and choose which bits of the Bible to believe and which bits to dismiss without knowing accurately that those writings are false. No one can prove that Paul was not exactly who he said he was. Conjecture is not proof.

I believe that Jesus already had a soul when He was in spirit form, in heaven, but when He was born into this world, His soul became associated with His body.

Again you fail to understand the meaning of the Hebrew word "soul". It denotes a "breather". You can't have a soul without breath. You cant have breath without a body and lungs. A "soul" is a physical being....not an invisible spirit.

I already know what it says in the Old Testament about the soul being “the breath of life,” so when the body dies, most Christians believe that the soul also dies,

Well you just confirmed that you don't. The "soul" is not the "breath of life"....that is the "spirit"....a different word with a completely different meaning.

so why do you think Jesus said the following?

Matthew 16:24-26 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
"Soul" is synonymous with life. So Jesus was saying that if you want to save your life by disobeying God, you will lose it.

Why do you think Jesus said...
"And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, fear him who can destroy both soul and body in Ge·henʹna." (Matthew 10:28)

God can kill souls, which means that they are not immortal. (Ezekiel 18:4) They do not exist apart from the body. Adam was not given a soul, but became one when God started him breathing.

According to Strong's Concordance, the word "soul" in Hebrew is "nephesh" which means....
"self, life, creature, person..." "that which breathes"...
  1. living being

2. living being (with life in the blood)

3. the man himself, self, person or individual"
It is Christendom who adopted the false religious notion of an immortal soul that can exist apart from the body.

Why would it matter if we lost our soul if it was not eternal?

It is life itself that is eternal if we obey God. That is what we lose...eternal life. Instead we will experience the opposite....eternal death.

The soul animates the body and gives it life, but it is not a Baha’i belief that the soul is only the breath of life and that the soul dies when the body dies. Baha’u’llah wrote that the nature of the soul is a mystery of God, but Baha’u’llah and Abdu'l-Baha wrote extensively about the function of the soul. My encapsulated description of the soul and its function is as follows:

The body is just a vehicle that carries the soul around while we are alive on earth, a place to house the soul. The soul is our self, the sum total of the personality, the person himself; the physical body is pure matter with no real identity. The person, after he dies and leaves his physical body behind, goes to the spiritual world where the soul takes on a spiritual body made up of heavenly elements that exist in the spiritual realm. Since all we have ever experienced is physical, it is impossible for us to understand what it is like to be a spiritual being rather than a physical body.

That is NOT what the Bible teaches.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I believe it not only because He claimed to be, but because it makes perfect sense given what is written in John, 14, 15 and 16 referring to the Comforter and the Spirit of truth.

John 14, 15 and 16 are about the holy spirit, nothing to do with Baha’u’llah.

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."

John 14:26 clearly identifies the holy spirit as the helper....so its not Baha’u’llah.

That the Comforter is the Holy Spirit that was sent at Pentecost is one of the biggest misconceptions that Christians have. There is nothing in the account of Pentecost to suggest that the Truth was divulged at Pentecost in its fullness and that now nothing remains to be revealed.

Then you make a liar out of Jesus who clearly identified the holy spirit as the one that would "teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."

Baha'i's seem so bent on making Baha’u’llah into something he is not, that you have to ignore so much scripture to make it so.....but he never was part of the divine plan.

The Holy Spirit is the Bounty of God which is the Comforter/Spirit of truth because it comforts people and brings them the truth. God sent the Holy Spirit (Bounty of God) to Baha’u’llah and then Baha’u’llah brought the Holy Spirit (Bounty of God) to humanity. That is why Baha’u’llah has been referred to as the Comforter/Spirit of truth.

Only to Baha'i's. He doesn't mean that to anyone else.

The Church misled Christians into believing that the Comforter and Spirit of truth are the Holy Spirit that Jesus sent to live inside of them, but anyone who thinks can figure out that a spirit living inside of people cannot DO any John 14, 15 and 16; only a man could do those things:
  • Teach you all things
  • Call to remembrance what Jesus said
  • Testify of Jesus
  • Glorify Jesus, receive of Jesus, and shew it unto you
  • Guide you into all truth
  • Speak what He hears and shew you things to come
  • Reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment
Obviously, Jesus was referring to a man who would bring the Holy Spirit, not the disembodied Holy Spirit. Baha’u’llah did all these things and as a result of His revelation the world will be reproved the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment. No spirit living inside of Christians is going to do this.

Again you think that the holy spirit is "living inside Christians" because....? The holy spirit is God's active force. It empowers humans and angels to carry out the divine will. It emanates from God and results in doing what Jesus said it would do, affecting his followers in various ways. At Pentecost, it empowered Jesus' disciples to speak in foreign languages so that they could preach the gospel to those visitors in Jerusalem who came for the festival, in their mother tongue.

John 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Referring to Jesus as the Son of Man, Baha’u’llah glorified Jesus and testified of Jesus in His Writings:
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 86

Muhammad, the Bab and Baha’u’llah were all prophesied in the Bible... For example:

“The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.” (Rev. 11:14) The first woe is the appearance of the Prophet, Muhammad, the son of ‘Abdu’lláh—peace be upon Him! The second woe is that of the Báb—to Him be glory and praise! The third woe is the great day of the manifestation of the Lord of Hosts and the radiance of the Beauty of the Promised One. The explanation of this subject, woe, is mentioned in the thirtieth chapter of Ezekiel, where it is said: “The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying, Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Howl ye, Woe worth the day! For the day is near, even the day of the Lord is near.” (Ez. 30:1-3)

Therefore, it is certain that the day of woe is the day of the Lord; for in that day woe is for the neglectful, woe is for the sinners, woe is for the ignorant. That is why it is said, “The second woe is past; behold the third woe cometh quickly!” This third woe is the day of the manifestation of Bahá’u’lláh, the day of God; and it is near to the day of the appearance of the Báb.

“And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever.” (Rev. 11:15).”

The seventh angel is a man qualified with heavenly attributes, who will arise with heavenly qualities and character. Voices will be raised, so that the appearance of the Divine Manifestation will be proclaimed and diffused. In the day of the manifestation of the Lord of Hosts, and at the epoch of the divine cycle of the Omnipotent which is promised and mentioned in all the books and writings of the Prophets—in that day of God, the Spiritual and Divine Kingdom will be established, and the world will be renewed; a new spirit will be breathed into the body of creation; the season of the divine spring will come; the clouds of mercy will rain; the sun of reality will shine; the life-giving breeze will blow; the world of humanity will wear a new garment; the surface of the earth will be a sublime paradise; mankind will be educated; wars, disputes, quarrels and malignity will disappear; and truthfulness, righteousness, peace and the worship of God will appear; union, love and brotherhood will surround the world; and God will rule for evermore—meaning that the Spiritual and Everlasting Kingdom will be established. Such is the day of God. For all the days which have come and gone were the days of Abraham, Moses and Christ, or of the other Prophets; but this day is the day of God, for the Sun of Reality will arise in it with the utmost warmth and splendor.”

Some Answered Questions, pp. 56-57

From: 11: COMMENTARY ON THE ELEVENTH CHAPTER OF THE REVELATION OF ST. JOHN
That is one of the greatest misapplications of scripture that I have ever seen. :facepalm:

You can't fit Islamic prophets into Jewish or Christian scripture without a lot of tap dancing. That is worthy of Broadway!

There are also many prophecies in the OT about a Messiah and what He would do, and Jesus did not do all of those things so He cannot be that Messiah the Jews were waiting for.

Jesus fulfilled all the prophesies about him in the OT....what he didn't fit was the Pharisees misinterpretation of those prophesies. He wasn't what they expected, but he was what they got. Only the humble ones accepted him as Messiah. True to form, the Jewish leaders had a habit of failing to accept and implement the correction of Yahweh's prophets. Rather than heed the message, it was more convenient to kill the messenger. (Matthew 23:37-39) God 'abandoned' that nation and formed a new one under a new covenant with Jesus as Mediator and High Priest. (Acts of the Apostles 15:14) His apostles formed the foundation of that new arrangement and there is no indication that we were to expect any others.

It is apparent to me that no one could ever accept Bahá’u’lláh as a prophet of God unless they had no idea what the Bible teaches. The more I speak to those of your faith, the more I see complete ignorance of scripture. The cherry picking just makes me shake my head.

As with Tony, I do not doubt your sincerity for a moment, but IMO, you have simply been led to believe so many things that are just not scripturally true according to my studies.

Incidentally, you never answered me.....why does Bahá’u’lláh have such an elaborate tomb, when Jesus does not have one at all?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
John 14, 15 and 16 are about the holy spirit, nothing to do with Baha’u’llah.

The Title Christ, means 'Anointed One' it means Jesus was annointed of the Holy Spirit.

It is Christ that is also Baha'u'llah.

That is how Christ is the First and the Last, it is the same Holy Spirit in each of Gods Mesengers.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Incidentally, you never answered me.....why does Bahá’u’lláh have such an elaborate tomb, when Jesus does not have one at all?

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We are not doing it by ourselves. :) (Matthew 28:19-20)
I am sure you are not alone.... :)
Baha'u'llah also assists us Baha'is... :D

“Let not your hearts be perturbed, O people, when the glory of My Presence is withdrawn, and the ocean of My utterance is stilled. In My presence amongst you there is a wisdom, and in My absence there is yet another, inscrutable to all but God, the Incomparable, the All-Knowing. Verily, We behold you from Our realm of glory, and shall aid whosoever will arise for the triumph of Our Cause with the hosts of the Concourse on high and a company of Our favored angels.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 139

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Why do you think Jesus said...
"And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather, fear him who can destroy both soul and body in Ge·henʹna." (Matthew 10:28)

God can kill souls, which means that they are not immortal. (Ezekiel 18:4) They do not exist apart from the body. Adam was not given a soul, but became one when God started him breathing.

According to Strong's Concordance, the word "soul" in Hebrew is "nephesh" which means....
"self, life, creature, person..." "that which breathes"...
  1. living being

2. living being (with life in the blood)

3. the man himself, self, person or individual"

You may find this interesting, or troubling... or just plain ignorant... :oops::rolleyes::)

Not sure...

There's more than 1 word for soul.

Strong's H5397... and then look at the root...

Could this be relevant to Matthew 10:28? Specifically the shift from: ἀποκτεννόντων [kill] to ἀπολέσαι [destroy]. If Matthew 10:28 is intended to support the idea that a soul can "die" why shift from "kill" to "destroy". It seems like it would be more clear to maintain the same word thru the verse. Less poetic, but more clear.

Also, because there is another word for soul, not just nephesh, Ezek 18:4 does not automatically mean that there is no such thing as an immortal soul. All it means is that the 'nephesh' is not immortal.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@dejee,

regarding the immortal soul... I forgot about the book of Daniel. i was reminded because of the recent thread about Kaddish. Both Daniel and Kaddish are in Aramaic.

In chapter 2, Daniel offers a blessing "from everlasting even to everlasting". this would indicate some form of immortality, doesn't it?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Also, because there is another word for soul, not just nephesh...

No, not in Hebrew. "Nephesh" can be translated as "being", "creature", "life", "living thing", or "soul"....but the Hebrew word for "soul", is only "nephesh".

Does that make sense?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
No, not in Hebrew. "Nephesh" can be translated as "being", "creature", "life", "living thing", or "soul"....but the Hebrew word for "soul", is only "nephesh".

Does that make sense?
Did u check Stong's? That appears to be the source Dejee is using.

This particular word is memorable because in Joshua, some people believe that the war against the indigenious people is a spiritual battle. This concept is rooted in the hebrew word H5397.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You may find this interesting, or troubling... or just plain ignorant... :oops::rolleyes::)

Not sure...

Could this be relevant to Matthew 10:28? Specifically the shift from: ἀποκτεννόντων [kill] to ἀπολέσαι [destroy]. If Matthew 10:28 is intended to support the idea that a soul can "die" why shift from "kill" to "destroy". It seems like it would be more clear to maintain the same word thru the verse. Less poetic, but more clear.

Also, because there is another word for soul, not just nephesh, Ezek 18:4 does not automatically mean that there is no such thing as an immortal soul. All it means is that the 'nephesh' is not immortal.

This is an important aspect about Love.

We now know all people are in reality a soul/spirit that traverse all the worlds of God. In this matrix we are given the chance to find our true state of being, life and death being part of our choice. Life is developing our limbs of spiritual virtues in the love of God, death is remaining ignorant of God and foregoing a life of virtues. It is a 'State' of being we need to obtain.

In the spiritual worlds life is nearness to God, death is remoteness. In this world it can be seen as the difference between a rock and a human. As such, one can understand the Love God has for us, why we are continually given guidance and what punishment results in us choosing to remain ignorant of the Spirit.

You may like to read a talk given by Abdul'baha on 'The Station of man and his progress after death'.

Some Answered Questions | Bahá’í Reference Library

Regards Tony

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This is an important aspect about Love.

We now know all people are in reality a soul/spirit that traverse all the worlds of God. In this matrix we are given the chance to find our true state of being, life and death being part of our choice. Life is developing our limbs of spiritual virtues in the love of God, death is remaining ignorant of God and foregoing a life of virtues. It is a 'State' of being we need to obtain.

In the spiritual worlds life is nearness to God, death is remoteness. In this world it can be seen as the difference between a rock and a human. As such, one can understand the Love God has for us, why we are continually given guidance and what punishment results in us choosing to remain ignorant of the Spirit.

You may like to read a talk given by Abdul'baha on 'The Station of man and his progress after death'.

Some Answered Questions | Bahá’í Reference Library

Regards Tony
I agree, except, God is both close and far. Both, always, for everyone. The whole world is filled with God's Glory?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree, except, God is both close and far. Both, always, for everyone. The whole world is filled with God's Glory?

I see we can never know God in essence, God is beyond our state of being, thus always far.

As for nearness, I see Gods Glory is this creation and I see it is God's Mesengers, they are chosen to be the 'Self of God' in each age. We see a man like us, but they have the power of creation at their disposal. They are all powerful and they are treated as the weakest.

Baha'u'llah offered it in one way like this;

"...For witness, how patient I am in bearing the burden which the husbandman layeth upon me. I am the instrument that continually imparteth unto all beings the blessings with which He Who is the Source of all grace hath entrusted me. Notwithstanding the honor conferred upon me, and the unnumbered evidences of my wealth—a wealth that supplieth the needs of all creation—behold the measure of my humility, witness with what absolute submissiveness I allow myself to be trodden beneath the feet of men….”

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps we should count how many scriptures you ignore to uphold the claims of your prophet.....?

As this is a discussion, you are aware that accusation is just applicable to your stance. ;)

It could be that the Love you see in Jesus through God, could also be the Love that is given by Baha'u'llah and all Gods Messengers from the East and West.

I would offer the proof is in favour of Baha'u'llah, as it is His Message from the One God, fulfilling the promise by Christ, that shows all humanity how to become one fold under one shepherd. It shows that we are one human race and that we have all be sent a Message from God as per God's ancient Covernant with man. We have been shown how to beat swords into plowshares.

What greater Love than to know we are a family of man, who each in turn, are to serve each other.

Thus one must ask why we can hate? Why do we become so selfish as to want to expel our brothers and sisters from the family of man?

Regards Tony

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The Title Christ, means 'Anointed One' it means Jesus was annointed of the Holy Spirit.

It is Christ that is also Baha'u'llah.

That is how Christ is the First and the Last, it is the same Holy Spirit in each of Gods Mesengers.

Baha'u'llah is an obscure prophet in an obscure religion whose leaders cannot substantiate a thing he wrote.
Claiming that he was "the Christ" when Jesus warned about false Christs, basically ignores the truth.

Jesus came into the world as scripture said he would, through Abraham's descendants, the Jewish nation....and he left behind all we would need to preach the good news of God's kingdom all the way to the end of the age. (Matthew 24: 3; 14) Why would we need another "Christ" when scripture never mentions one, except for the imposters?.....why would you want another "Christ" when scripture never gives us a need for one, but such an imposter would fit the devil's agenda of 'deceiving even the elect if possible'?

Look at all the religious confusion in the world and understand that finding the truth in amongst all of that is like finding the proverbial 'needle in a haystack'. Only God can provide the means to find the truth, and if you try to meld all those religious ideas as coming from one God, then he is responsible for all that confusion and the hatred and bloodshed that came from it.
What kind of a God who values peace and truth, would do that?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Is that supposed to be Jesus' tomb? The place where they laid Jesus's body initially belonged to Joseph of Aramethea.

The basic difference between your prophet's tomb and one that is supposed to be Jesus' tomb.....is a body. Jesus' tomb was empty, so does Baha'u'llah have his body in his tomb? If so why? The prophesy concerning the death of the Messiah was that his flesh would not see corruption in the grave. God made sure that with Jesus, there was no body to decompose. Can the same be said of Baha'u'llah?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Baha'u'llah is an obscure prophet in an obscure religion whose leaders cannot substantiate a thing he wrote.
Claiming that he was "the Christ" when Jesus warned about false Christs, basically ignores the truth.

Jesus came into the world as scripture said he would, through Abraham's descendants, the Jewish nation....and he left behind all we would need to preach the good news of God's kingdom all the way to the end of the age. (Matthew 24: 3; 14) Why would we need another "Christ" when scripture never mentions one, except for the imposters?.....why would you want another "Christ" when scripture never gives us a need for one, but such an imposter would fit the devil's agenda of 'deceiving even the elect if possible'?

Look at all the religious confusion in the world and understand that finding the truth in amongst all of that is like finding the proverbial 'needle in a haystack'. Only God can provide the means to find the truth, and if you try to meld all those religious ideas as coming from one God, then he is responsible for all that confusion and the hatred and bloodshed that came from it.
What kind of a God who values peace and truth, would do that?

Now where have we heard that before. ;) I bet you with my life, that all God's Messengers have heard those accusations.

The other thing Christ did, was tell us how to know a true prophet. Thus before we jump on the false bandwagon, the most popular ride in religious history, maybe we should be of the few, that with Justice, will test the Messenger as per what Christ Offered.

It is worth considering many of the false views will be coming from thise that use Christs name;

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Christ talks about His New Name, a new name that needs to be accepted to know Christ is also the Father.

Big topic, happy to leave it there. :)

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is that supposed to be Jesus' tomb? The place where they laid Jesus's body initially belonged to Joseph of Aramethea.

The basic difference between your prophet's tomb and one that is supposed to be Jesus' tomb.....is a body. Jesus' tomb was empty, so does Baha'u'llah have his body in his tomb? If so why? The prophesy concerning the death of the Messiah was that his flesh would not see corruption in the grave. God made sure that with Jesus, there was no body to decompose. Can the same be said of Baha'u'llah?

Love tells me to leave this alone now. ;)

Leave it with a quick off the cuff poem;

Oh that our hearts could sing together, what a day that would be, one that lasts forever!
But alas here we are, us that are raised from but earthly clay, playing with God's word, all in our own chosen way.
God please make clear the day, when all the hearts that are yours, walk only in Thy Way.

Regards Tony

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Not sure...

If you get rid of Christendom's idea of an immortal soul, then "kill" and "destroy" mean the same thing. Death ends life...destroys it. There is nothing in the Bible that tells us otherwise. The only way to regain our life was by resurrection. This is the opposite of an immortal soul because a person (soul) has to be dead in order to be resurrected. Immortal souls are never dead. So it's a contradiction.

According to the Bible, a soul can enjoy "everlasting life" but that is not immortality.
It is important to know the difference. God can "destroy" souls which mean that they are not immortal. Immortals cannot die, ever. That idea gave rise to very unpleasant doctrines like hell. The Bible does not support the existence of such a place, where the wicked consciously suffer torment, eternally.

In order to keep living, humans needed to obey the rules that were laid down by their Creator. Initially, there was just one. Death was the penalty for disobeying that command. The way God implemented the death penalty was to bar the way to the only source that he provided to keep mortals alive indefinitely...."the tree of life". They never gained access to it again.

Not sure I follow your reasoning here.....

When the human psyche is programmed for everlasting life, then it will try its best to get rid of any suggestion that life can end. This is what spawned the idea of an immortal soul in the first place.
God said that humans would die, but the devil played on man's inbuilt desire to go on living to spin the web of his original lie..."you surely will not die". You will find this idea of continuing spiritual life in every religious system. That, I believe, is because they all have the same author. (1 John 5:19)