• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Love...Believes All Things"

Eyes to See

Recently I have been a little more active on this website having interchanges of conversations with different people, seeing the things they are going through as they share their life experiences, and also their doubts and frustrations. I have tried to answer all questions relating to my faith as I have shared it here, but have failed to do so just because of the sheer number of people, and the questions, and my limited time. Contemplating some of the things this morning I thought I would put together these thoughts that try to address some of the doubts and questions about religion/faith/the Bible from my perspective. So hopefully those who have been asking me questions will find this thread and read through it, and hopefully it will answer some of their questions.

In a speech Paul gave in the Areopagus he made it known to the Greeks that were listening, and by extension everyone else who reads his words, that God is not far off from each one of us:

"And he made out of one man every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth, and he decreed the appointed times and the set limits of where men would dwell, so that they would seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us. For by him we have life and move and exist, even as some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also his children.’"-Acts 17:-26-28.

This indicates that we should search for God. It is part of our obligation as his creation. I understand it can be frustrating because of the sheer number of religions, the confusion among them, the behavior of some. And then you have people who were never really shown love, both male and female. They may have been raised in broken homes, homes where the parents didn't show love, in homes where they were taught that God is an evil and vindictive God, so it may be hard to come to terms with the fact that they are lovable people. And that God above all is love.

God's love moved him to furnish a ransom sacrifice for our sins before we ever knew him. And it causes him to answer all sincere ones who pray to him in earnestness for answers to the truth.

Now there have arisen skeptics and critics of God and his word and you can read their doubts and criticisms of the Bible, and if you don't investigate further you may believe what they say.

For example I recently read a list of things one member here said proved the Bible contradicted itself. The list was quite long, I answered a few of the criticisms for him, but not all. The point was to show him that you should not believe every word.

For example he tried to use the idea that Peter, James, and John saw Elijah and Moses in the transfiguration, as proof that the Bible contradicts itself because it says that the dead are asleep in death. But if you read what Jesus himself said about the transfiguration you will see there is no conflict. Returning from the mountain Jesus told the three:

"As they were descending from the mountain, Jesus commanded them: “Tell the vision to no one until the Son of man is raised up from the dead.”

Jesus himself said they saw a vision.

See how easy it is, if we actually did a little research, that a supposed undeniable proof God's word contradicts itself becomes explained. This can be done with all the so-called proofs the Bible contradicts itself. And that is where the title of the OP comes in. I didn't create this thread to answer all so-called criticisms of the Bible in it. I don't have the time or the inclination to do so. But the answers are there. Part of learning to love God it trusting what he says. 1 Corinthians 13:7 says concerning love it "bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

Love believes all the words from God's word. Even if we don't fully understand them at this time. And it also puts faith in our loving God that he as a good Father knows what is best for us. So even though we might not agree with or understand why he gives us certain commands, we trust it is for our good.

So while it is understandable why one may have doubts, or lack confidence in themselves, and in God's word, one is welcomed lovingly to ask wisdom of God, to search for him. He is very close to each one of us. And is willing to lead us in the way of truth.

To each and every one reading this you can be assured of God's love and know that he cares for you:

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time, while you throw all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you."-1 Peter 5:6-7.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Recently I have been a little more active on this website having interchanges of conversations with different people, seeing the things they are going through as they share their life experiences, and also their doubts and frustrations. I have tried to answer all questions relating to my faith as I have shared it here, but have failed to do so just because of the sheer number of people, and the questions, and my limited time. Contemplating some of the things this morning I thought I would put together these thoughts that try to address some of the doubts and questions about religion/faith/the Bible from my perspective. So hopefully those who have been asking me questions will find this thread and read through it, and hopefully it will answer some of their questions.

In a speech Paul gave in the Areopagus he made it known to the Greeks that were listening, and by extension everyone else who reads his words, that God is not far off from each one of us:

"And he made out of one man every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth, and he decreed the appointed times and the set limits of where men would dwell, so that they would seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us. For by him we have life and move and exist, even as some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also his children.’"-Acts 17:-26-28.

This indicates that we should search for God. It is part of our obligation as his creation. I understand it can be frustrating because of the sheer number of religions, the confusion among them, the behavior of some. And then you have people who were never really shown love, both male and female. They may have been raised in broken homes, homes where the parents didn't show love, in homes where they were taught that God is an evil and vindictive God, so it may be hard to come to terms with the fact that they are lovable people. And that God above all is love.

God's love moved him to furnish a ransom sacrifice for our sins before we ever knew him. And it causes him to answer all sincere ones who pray to him in earnestness for answers to the truth.

Now there have arisen skeptics and critics of God and his word and you can read their doubts and criticisms of the Bible, and if you don't investigate further you may believe what they say.

For example I recently read a list of things one member here said proved the Bible contradicted itself. The list was quite long, I answered a few of the criticisms for him, but not all. The point was to show him that you should not believe every word.

For example he tried to use the idea that Peter, James, and John saw Elijah and Moses in the transfiguration, as proof that the Bible contradicts itself because it says that the dead are asleep in death. But if you read what Jesus himself said about the transfiguration you will see there is no conflict. Returning from the mountain Jesus told the three:

"As they were descending from the mountain, Jesus commanded them: “Tell the vision to no one until the Son of man is raised up from the dead.”

See how easy it is, if we actually did a little research, that a supposed undeniable proof God's word contradicts itself becomes explained. This can be done with all the so-called proofs the Bible contradicts itself. And that is where the title of the OP comes in. I didn't create this thread to answer all so-called criticisms of the Bible in it. I don't have the time or the inclination to do so. But the answers are there. Part of learning to love God it trusting what he says. 1 Corinthians 13:7 says concerning love it "bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

Love believes all the words from God's word. Even if we don't fully understand them at this time. And it also puts faith in our loving God that he as a good Father knows what is best for us. So even though we might not agree with or understand why he gives us certain commands, we trust it is for our good.

So while it is understandable why one may have doubts, or lack confidence in themselves, and in God's word, one is welcomed lovingly to ask wisdom of God, to search for him. He is very close to each one of us. And is willing to lead us in the way of truth.

To each and every one reading this you can be assured of God's love and know that he cares for you:

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time, while you throw all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you."-1 Peter 5:6-7.

Hi there, I don't think we've talked before, but I was just enjoying your post, and wanted to respond, and with more than one thing, but along the way, I felt this is important on a place like RF (Religious Forums) to improve wording:

God's love moved him to furnish a ransom sacrifice for our sins

Since only a smallish minority would agree that was the particular or only thing Christ was doing, or even the main thing, on the Cross (and some wouldn't even agree at all on that particular one, out of the common ideas).

So, therefore, it's good to word it to allow the real range of Christian understanding, instead of only a narrow one from one denomination, right?

So, I think this short summary is very helpful:
7 Theories of the Atonement Summarized - Stephen D. Morrison

And notice how the first of the 7 theories -- the Influence theory -- is also among the oldest, and widely agreed with as being true (more than 1 of these is true simultaneously...), though I'd word it just a little differently than the author, as it is a summary (to me) of Romans chapter 6:

See what you think, by comparing: Romans 6 NIV

We see Christ's action on the cross, and seeing that clearly, that breaks the grip of sin on us, leads us to repentance, and thus salvation!

We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? ... all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death... 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, a that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

Another thought to share, from more than a decade of discussion on the internet on Christianity with the lost and also with just antagonists to Christianity (who often don't really know much of it), is that a lot of very carefully constructed attacks on faith and God have been gradually devised over the years and refined, and often with hidden premises.

And they get repeated on the internet a lot, over and over.

So that pretty often the hidden or implicit premises -- which many will just accept or presume without examining -- are just taken for granted too often then. The discussion then becomes about the obvious logical conclusions those hidden premises imply, which is like a red herring or such.

So, one thing I've tried to do (not necessarily helping everyone!) is to try to uncover the hidden premises for someone, so that at least they can see what they are assuming.

But I mention it here to you mainly so that you yourself will be aware that is the kind of argument you'd often see: one where the real issue is a hidden premise, and the surface argument is merely an obvious conclusion the hidden premise indicates.

Such as assuming (hidden premise) that death of this mortal body is a real final death (final cessation of existence).

Which will take a form such as: "Why does God let innocent children die?" -- ergo, "God is evil", etc.

(i.e., rewording to bring out the hidden premise into visibility:
"Why does God kill children into a final death?"
But we know this directly contradicts the concept of what God is (One who resurrects the dead), and that the text says that all death is only 'sleep' and all will awaken, and so all of those children are in reality alive....)

So, if someone tries to answer a question like "Why does God let innocent children die?" as many do: without addressing the hidden premise that all mortal death is a final cessation of existence, and nothing comes next (e.g., the premise that God doesn't exist as the starting premise of the question), then they end up implicitly confirming the premise without even addressing it, etc.

Such answers that don't address the hidden premise merely confirm to many non believers that God is 'cruel' 'evil', etc. in their minds, for failure to discuss the actual issue behind the seeming topic.

Eyes to See

Those questions, such as "why does God let good people die" or children, are rational reasoning questions people who have been caught up in the web of Satan's deceptions want answers to. So it is reasonable to ask this, anyone who is a thinking person. God has answers and they are found in his word. Sharing his word of truth with them can break them free from religious and materialistic dogma and lies they have been lead to believe all their lives. That is why it is imperative they have love. Without love one cannot draw close to God. And that is why Jesus said the truth will set you free.

And God's word can move anyone with a sincere heart. Many people rejected Jesus as the Messiah, but Peter knew who he was and Jesus told Peter: "In response Jesus said to him: “Happy you are, Simon son of Joʹnah, because flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but my Father in the heavens did."-Matthew 16:17.