• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love and Hate

Psalm23

I have heard sometime ago that love and hate are not opposites of each other. What do you think?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I think you've opened a pandora's box of interesting concepts to discuss... I look forward to seeing what people have to say about this. :D

For me, they are both rooted in deep seeded feeling. Sometimes they can bleed into each other, but they can also be kept separate. I would say they exist independently of each other, but they can overlap. Someone can both love and hate someone at the same time - especially where passion is concerned.

For me, personally, it's very hard to dwell on hatred/negativity, but it is very easy for me to dwell in love/positivity. Dwelling on either one too much can be a problem if taken to unhealthy levels, but they are both a necessary and common aspect of human emotion, IMO.

That's the simple breakdown for me. I wanna see how folks go deeper into it now. :)

Viker

Häxan
Hate is a lack of love. Like when you go into a completely dark room. Someone might turn on a light (love). They can work as opposites if we want them to like in a story. I don't think they necessarily are.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have heard sometime ago that love and hate are not opposites of each other. What do you think?
Some kinds of love are opposites of some kinds of hate. For example complete indifference is the opposite of obsession.

On the other hand fear is not the opposite of love yet undermines love. Hate is sometimes the result of that fear. For example if you fear that a friend has betrayed your or is in some way two-faced, you may feel repulsed by them.

Another strange thing is that sometimes people hate themselves and therefore express hate towards others. Also sometimes we avoid people we care for, not because we hate them but because of shame, fear of rejection, or guilt over something they are going through, etc.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

do we need a definition of love in order to answer this?

it is not an easy concept.

but maybe we don’t, if we recognize them as opposites.

Psalm23

Some kinds of love are opposites of some kinds of hate. For example complete indifference is the opposite of obsession.

On the other hand fear is not the opposite of love yet undermines love. Hate is sometimes the result of that fear. For example if you fear that a friend has betrayed your or is in some way two-faced, you may feel repulsed by them.

Another strange thing is that sometimes people hate themselves and therefore express hate towards others. Also sometimes we avoid people we care for, not because we hate them but because of shame, fear of rejection, or guilt over something they are going through, etc.

Fear is something I see that undermines trust. If you are afraid then that can push you away from someone and not want to open up lest you get hurt in some way. Fear of what someone may truly think of you may cause one to jump to conclusions about what what someone said that is not grounded in truth.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Not to be confused with like and dislike, love and hate are the most powerful of emotions. Within the brain they act on different areas.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Both love and hate starts from within us as humans, but only love survive when one understand that hate does not lead to other than more suffering for one self or others.
Love from within also called compassion arise when a person are able to undo the hate from within toward his or her self, than when the self hate has been let go of, love and compassion toward others come natural, with no "need" to change others to become like our own being.

So love/ hate is both opposites and same.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It can be.
But the real opposite of love, is selfishness. When you truly love someone, you put their interests ahead of yours.

Selfishness is when you put your interests first. Doesn’t make for a good marriage! Or any relationship.