• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love and Belief

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You claim that the Bible isn't authoritive. So why would you believe any of it?
Again, you are resorting to the use of dualisms.

Near me I have my Oxford Desk Dictionary, which I do find very useful, but I don't believe it is inerrant. I feel the same way about the Bible.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Again, you are resorting to the use of dualisms.

Near me I have my Oxford Desk Dictionary, which I do find very useful, but I don't believe it is inerrant. I feel the same way about the Bible.
Since the dictionary has been changed a lot, comparing it to scripture means you don't see scripture as reliable. That's a poor basis for your hope of eternal life.

metis

Since the dictionary has been changed a lot, comparing it to scripture means you don't see scripture as reliable.
Again, being "reliable" to which extent should have been your serious question that you missed. Plus, it is so disingenuous of you to again resort to the use of dualistic "thinking" whereas there are other options.

That's a poor basis for your hope of eternal life.
I'll let God do the judging, not you.

Jesus taught the issue of "love one another as I have loved you" per his Two Commandments, which seems to be something you are unwilling to accept, and that even shows up in your politics as well.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Again, being "reliable" to which extent should have been your serious question that you missed. Plus, it is so disingenuous of you to again resort to the use of dualistic "thinking" whereas there are other options.

I'll let God do the judging, not you.

Jesus taught the issue of "love one another as I have loved you" per his Two Commandments, which seems to be something you are unwilling to accept, and that even shows up in your politics as well.
I love everyone. That's not the same as agreeing with everyone.
And you are picking and choosing from scripture if you think it's only love and not believing correctly also.
But if you can choose what you think is true or not by downgrading scripture to just sort of reliable sometimes, you can do that easily.

metis

And you are picking and choosing from scripture if you think it's only love and not believing correctly also.
Matthew 22[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

So, was Jesus wrong?

But if you can choose what you think is true or not by downgrading scripture to just sort of reliable sometimes, you can do that easily.
It's not "downgrading"-- it's seeing the scriptures in a realistic way since we well know of many "variations" dealing with the same narrative, such as the women's visitation to Jesus' tomb whereas no two gospels agree.

So, you can make an idol of the Bible if you want, but I'll not go there with you. Thus, this is my last post on this with you.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
So, was Jesus wrong?
No.. but what does that have to do with the belief vs love? Both are necessary. We aren't talking about the law.
Jesus advocated both loving others and believing in himself for salvation. I don't know what is even controversial about that fact.