• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love and Belief

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes, that is what a lot of people believe.
Really? When someone is stressed adrenaline is released and cortisol levels go up. Because there is the fight or flight response . Cortisol levels nor adrenaline create stress.

Works the same way with love. First there has to be an attraction, then a chemical reaction

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Really? When someone is stressed adrenaline is released and cortisol levels go up. Because there is the fight or flight response . Cortisol levels nor adrenaline create stress.

Works the same way with love. First there has to be an attraction, then a chemical reaction

Yes, some have to be a victim of circumstance.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They didn't believe in the correct version of God. If they had of they would have loved Jesus.
But how would you know if they did or didn't?

Much depends on both which texts one uses and how they interpret them. And if one is a literalist, then Jesus cannot be the Messiah as he did not fulfill all the messianic prophecies, which was well noted by Aquinas btw.

metis

No one can love as God does without believing in the correct version of God.
That's not what the Gospel says, as Jesus narrowed the 613 Commandment down to Two: the love of God and all humankind. He did not say political correctness was essential, and there were and still are those who doubted some things about him.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
By the way they treated Jesus. He literally said if they had known the Father they would have known him.
The Israelites did at times truly follow Yahweh, but it never seemed to last long.
those who know love, know god. no belief necessary. love is perfect

1 John 4 pretty much sums it all up

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It's exactly what it says. Show me where the gospel writers ever allowed the possibility that there was another way to God other than Jesus.
god is not a respecter of persons.. the Way is not through a person, neither to the left nor the right.

the Way is through Love. I and the Father are one. atonement is an action of love

you don't get to heaven based on your self serving deeds, or even Jesus'

god's will, or love's will, gets you into heaven

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
those who know love, know god. no belief necessary. love is perfect

1 John 4 pretty much sums it all up
Yes it does.
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Proper belief is essential according to the scripture you mentioned.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes it does.
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Proper belief is essential according to the scripture you mentioned.
to know and to believe are two separate things.

once you know god, once you have experienced something, belief is no longer necessary.

you believe because you don't know god

belief is not a synonym for to know, or for knowing

Synonyms of know | Thesaurus.com

Synonyms of belief | Thesaurus.com

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
once you know god, once you have experienced something, belief is no longer necessary.
You really should read your Bible.
18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You really should read your Bible.
18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
i have read the bible multiple times. Using multiple translations. I've also read the pseudopigripha, and other non-canonized books.

i don't believe.

I KNOW

john 14:20

metis

It's exactly what it says. Show me where the gospel writers ever allowed the possibility that there was another way to God other than Jesus.
If that were to be the case, then we would have to conclude that Jesus was a charlatan, which I don't. Scriptural literalism and the belief in inerrancy makes no sense whatsoever, plus it basically creates an idol out of the Bible itself. The early Church well know that it wasn't either, which is why there was so much contention in selecting the canon.

Read your Bible.
I taught it both at the church and synagogue level, and any serious student of scripture well knows that intelligent people can have different interpretations on the same verses. Thus, let me recommend that you get over your know-it-all arrogance on this.