• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lots of sleep tied to higher risk of stroke

How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

• More than 8 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 to 8 hours

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Less than 6 hours

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't sleep

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/strokes/83836

Sleeping more than 9 hours a night or taking long midday naps were each associated with increased risk of incident stroke in a large, prospective cohort study.

Compared with 7 to 8 hours of sleep, 9 or more hours increased the risk of stroke by 23% (HR 1.23; 95% CI 1.07–1.41), while 6 hours of sleep had no significant effect on stroke risk, reported Xiaomin Zhang, MD, PhD, of Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan, China, and colleagues.

A regular midday nap lasting more than 90 minutes also boosted stroke risk by 25% (HR 1.25; 95% 1.03–1.53) compared with napping for a half-hour or less, they reported in Neurology.

What drives this connection is unclear, but "previous studies have shown that long nappers and sleepers have unfavorable changes in their cholesterol levels and increased waist circumferences, both of which are risk factors for stroke," Zhang said in a statement. Long napping and sleeping also may suggest an overall inactive lifestyle, Zhang added.

Sometimes I might take a short power nap during the day, but on weekends, I've taken some long naps. Not all the time, though. I do have trouble with sleeping at night. I go to bed early enough and usually fall asleep okay, but then I wake up only after about 5 hours and can't get back to sleep.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/strokes/83836

Sometimes I might take a short power nap during the day, but on weekends, I've taken some long naps. Not all the time, though. I do have trouble with sleeping at night. I go to bed early enough and usually fall asleep okay, but then I wake up only after about 5 hours and can't get back to sleep.

I sleep as much as I need... generally six hours, but sometimes more. I give myself an eight hour space, but rarely do I use it all. Once in awhile some catnap here or there, but nothing regular.

With the sleeping at night thing I feel you... I naturally want to be awake in the early AM, so I just stopped fighting it years ago. It was hell for school and work and still is, but w/e you adapt. Usually I'm gonna crash at 3 am and sleep until 8 or 9 then I'm up. Anything else is just basically perma-jet-lag or w/e...

Unfortunately, stroke and many other related problems are largely hereditary and that's the biggest factor of whether you get it. Same with cancer, diabetes, heart problems, and so on.