• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lot - Why he wasn't such a bad guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishka

Veteran Member
FFH said:
Okay, I read the story again and it clearly says that Lot "perceived not when she lay down nor when she arose", both times, with the older daughter, and then with the younger the next night.

Clearly Lot is clear of any guilt.

I still trust a bit in the Jewish tradition, I'm sure Lot knew something.

FFH

Veteran Member
Basically the only difference between the Joseph Smith translation and the King James is that the JST adds the phrase "dealt wickedly" and "did wickedly", referring to the daughters.

FFH

Veteran Member
beckysoup61 said:
I still trust a bit in the Jewish tradition, I'm sure Lot knew something.
Not according to scripture, which has been verified by Joseph Smith, as being a correct and complete story in the King James.

Bishka

Veteran Member
FFH said:
Not according to scripture, which has been verified by Joseph Smith, as being a correct and complete story in the King James.

I'm pretty sure he did, but we all have our own opinions.

FFH

Veteran Member
Joseph Smith Inspired changes are in purple, and the King James difference are in parenthesis.

Gen. 19: 31-38

31- And the firstborn dealt wickedly, and said unto the younger, Our father has become (is) old, and we have (there is) not a man on (in) the earth to come in unto us, to live with us after the manner of all that live on the earth:

32- Therefore come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

33- And they did wickedly, and made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

34- And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

35- And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

36- Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

37- And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab the same is the father of the Moabites, the same which are unto this day.

38- And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: (the same is) the father of the children which are Ammonites, the same which are (of Ammon) unto this day.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

beckysoup61 said:
But what if this was this original, and it was changed in the Bible. That's what I'm getting at. What if this is what actually happened. Many people (not just LDS) believe that the Bible has been changed, what if this is one change? Why couldn't it be this way?

Becky, I like you and am not wanting to come across as if I am being mean, but how in the world are you making the argument that an "inspired version" of a story, that was originally written down well over 2500 years ago, and re-written (in its inspired form) by Joseph Smith in the 1800's was "changed" in its original writing, and Joe's version is actually the more accurate?

I guess what I am getting at, is how is the original, as you put it, story written in 1875 A.D. (or thereabouts) while a "changed version" of this original 19th century story was written 500 or 600 B.C.? I hope the logical problems with this are obvious.

B.

rocka21

Brother Rock
[SIZE=+0]i also think it is interesting that both authors of the NEW WORLD TRANSATION - JW, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]and the BOOK of MORMON- Both saw an ANGLE of LIGHT. ( please correct me if i am wrong).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]i wonder who else can come as an angle of light? hummmmm.....[/SIZE]

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
rocka21 said:
[SIZE=+0]i also think it is interesting that both authors of the NEW WORLD TRANSATION - JW, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]and the BOOK of MORMON- Both saw an ANGLE of LIGHT. ( please correct me if i am wrong).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]i wonder who else can come as an angle of light? hummmmm.....[/SIZE]

well, first off, everybody sees an "angle" of light everyday. I think what you meant to write was ANGEL. Second, I have no idea about what JW's claim. Third, the fact that satan can appear as something doesn't mean that ALL angels are satan, that would just be stupid of you to claim that all angels (or angles) are satan. uh, fourth is that God the Father and Jesus Christ also appeared to Joseph Smith, can satan come to people impersonating God? yeah, didn't think so. Finally, if you think our church was inspired by satan why has our church done so much good and grown so fast? Jesus said that "by their works ye shall know them" because good fruit does not come from a bad tree. For you to make petty and obviously false claims like that just shows your ignorance and lack of brotherly love for a fellow christian denomination. thanks.

Faint

beckysoup61 said:
Many people I've met (LDS and non-LDS) seem to think the story of Lot and the men that came to visit him is a horrible story.
I'm one of those. He offers his daughters to be raped. Later he has sex with them. God condones all of this. It's a bad, bad message to send, but understandable when viewed in context with the misogyny of that ancient culture.

I've actually come to refute that claim. Apparently there many of you
who thought that the Bible was not in it's complete form and that there was additions and removals, etc.
This is true, it has been a work in progress for many, many years. The simple variations in the current versions attest to the fact that translation and interpretation are not uniform.

what the LDS Church calls the Inspired Version of the Bible. Joseph Smith knew there were things that were wrong with the Bible, additions, removals, etc. so he went through and with God's help helped restore some plain and precious truths to the Bible.
Whatever. He REWROTE sections the way he wanted to. That's the bottom line here.

The Lot story happens to be one of those. So those who do believe there is much missing out of the Bible, why can't this story be the way Joseph received it?
First, I would question why an all-powerful/inspirational deity could not inspire the original scribes to record the details properly. Then I would ask what makes Joseph Smith more of an expert in language translation than all the others who have set work to interpret the text. Third, if there are so many errors, how can any of the original be trusted?

(Joseph Smith Translation in red, KJV version of the Bible in Black.)
The term translation is misleading. I would use the term "rewriting", as in "altering" the original content.

As you can see this is in a bit of a different order then the KJV. So why couldn't this have been the story? There are many of you who said that the Bible was incomplete or missing or added to.
Why? Because according to reputable scholars, the Bible does not translate this way. All we have is Smith's claim "just trust me on this".

So what do you think? Excluding that you don't believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet. That's not part of this discussion, let's just say that this was found in another manuscript, would you discredit it, would it make much more sense then the original.
IF it was found in some long-lost, confirmable section of the Bible...and not some relatively modern man's "visions", then perhaps I'd be more likely to believe it as the correct version of events (which are not to be confused with actual historical events). Look, you can't say if "you don't believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet" is not part of this discussion. It is. If I believed he was a prophet, I would likely discount any evidence to the contrary of the ideas you're promoting. But I don't believe he was anything, so it makes his version all around pointless.

A

angellous_evangellous

angellous_evangellous said:
I don't see any serious impact in the story. Lot offering his daughters to the Sodomites is an illustration of the Sodomites' lust for only men and can be read as either further illustrating Lot's wickedness or his good hospitality. Either way is honest to the story, but the lust of the Sodomites and Lot's poor morality are still preserved, provided that the story still has the dialog between Abe and God as well as the fact that Lot was a leader in such a bad city that was condemned entirely by God, and that Lot chose to live there out of greed.

After re-reading this thread, I still stand by my original assessment.

rocka21

Brother Rock
comprehend said:
well, first off, everybody sees an "angle" of light everyday. I think what you meant to write was ANGEL. Second, I have no idea about what JW's claim. Third, the fact that satan can appear as something doesn't mean that ALL angels are satan, that would just be stupid of you to claim that all angels (or angles) are satan. uh, fourth is that God the Father and Jesus Christ also appeared to Joseph Smith, can satan come to people impersonating God? yeah, didn't think so. Finally, if you think our church was inspired by satan why has our church done so much good and grown so fast? Jesus said that "by their works ye shall know them" because good fruit does not come from a bad tree. For you to make petty and obviously false claims like that just shows your ignorance and lack of brotherly love for a fellow christian denomination. thanks.

sorry, i should of left the last line out. sorry about my ignorance and lack of brotherly love.

i remember reading a long time ago the Joseph Smith story. If i am not mistaken, the angle said it was an angle of God. i wish joseph smith would have asked " do you come in the name of Jesus". i think that is in both Jw and lds stories - an angle from God appeared and gives the TRUE revelation of scriptures

just a side note. if an angle ever appears to you, before you let it speak , before you say anything. ASK FIRST- DO you come in the name of JESUS. - then proceed according to the answer you get.

rocka21

Brother Rock
[SIZE=+0]straight from the mormon straight. WOW[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
“Not only was his robe exceedingly white, but his whole person was glorious beyond description, and his countenance truly like lightning. The room was exceedingly light, but not so very bright as immediately around his person. When I first looked upon him, I was afraid; but the fear soon left me. “He called me by name, and said unto me that he was a messenger sent from the presence of God to me, and that his name was Moroni; that God had a work for me to do; and that my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people. it was mormons son, Marroni! After Mormon completed his writings, he delivered the account to his son Moroni, who added a few words of his own and hid up the plates in the hill Cumorah. On September 21, 1823, the same Moroni, then a glorified, resurrected being, appeared to the Prophet Joseph Smith and instructed him relative to the ancient record and its destined translation into the English language.

A glorified resurrected being........... WOW! speechless........... i thought it was an angle. sorry , ...........it was a profits son who hid plates and came back in a glorified resurrected body on sept. 21, 1823 and told Joseph Smith were they were.

nutshell

rocka21 said:

“Not only was his robe exceedingly white, but his whole person was glorious beyond description, and his countenance truly like lightning. The room was exceedingly light, but not so very bright as immediately around his person. When I first looked upon him, I was afraid; but the fear soon left me. “He called me by name, and said unto me that he was a messenger sent from the presence of God to me, and that his name was Moroni; that God had a work for me to do; and that my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people. it was mormons son, Marroni! After Mormon completed his writings, he delivered the account to his son Moroni, who added a few words of his own and hid up the plates in the hill Cumorah. On September 21, 1823, the same Moroni, then a glorified, resurrected being, appeared to the Prophet Joseph Smith and instructed him relative to the ancient record and its destined translation into the English language.

A glorified resurrected being........... WOW! speechless........... i thought it was an angle. sorry , ...........it was a profits son who hid plates and came back in a glorified resurrected body on sept. 21, 1823 and told Joseph Smith were they were.

What was the message your were attempting to convey with your post?

nutshell

rocka21 said:
sorry, i should of left the last line out. sorry about my ignorance and lack of brotherly love.

i remember reading a long time ago the Joseph Smith story. If i am not mistaken, the angle said it was an angle of God. i wish joseph smith would have asked " do you come in the name of Jesus". i think that is in both Jw and lds stories - an angle from God appeared and gives the TRUE revelation of scriptures

just a side note. if an angle ever appears to you, before you let it speak , before you say anything. ASK FIRST- DO you come in the name of JESUS. - then proceed according to the answer you get.

Before Joseph saw any angels he was first visited by Jesus. Joseph also taught the difference between identifying an angel from Jesus and a false angel.

rocka21

Brother Rock
nutshell said:
Before Joseph saw any angels he was first visited by Jesus. Joseph also taught the difference between identifying an angel from Jesus and a false angel.

i missed that when i read Joseph smiths account. i never saw where he was visited by Jesus. Was morni an ANGEL?

i didn't mean anything by it, it was just interesting to me.

SoyLeche

meh...
rocka21 said:

#1 - please post your refference - otherwise it's plagerism
#2 - to the LDS, Angels are either a) Someone who hasn't been born yet, b) someone who has lived, died, but it not yet ressurected, or c) a ressurected being

rocka21

Brother Rock
SoyLeche said:
#1 - please post your refference - otherwise it's plagerism
#2 - to the LDS, Angels are either a) Someone who hasn't been born yet, b) someone who has lived, died, but it not yet ressurected, or c) a ressurected being

1. I belive it was the offical Mormon website. i clicked a link from a member here.

2. thanks, - how can i debate if i don't know facts, which i am trying to learn. to most christians Angles or angleic beings were created by God in heaven , not people who have died.

i am trying to think of people who have died that appeared after death in the KJV bible.

off the top.

Samuel - who the which of endor produced , which was a deceiving spirit.

moses and elijah- appeared to Jesus.

and Jesus - who appeared to the disciples.

then in 1831 - i guess Maroni..........

SoyLeche

meh...
rocka21 said:
1. I belive it was the offical Mormon website. i clicked a link from a member here.

2. thanks, - how can i debate if i don't know facts, which i am trying to learn. to most christians Angles or angleic beings were created by God in heaven , not people who have died.

i am trying to think of people who have died that appeared after death in the KJV bible.

off the top.

Samuel - who the which of endor produced , which was a deceiving spirit.

moses and elijah- appeared to Jesus.

and Jesus - who appeared to the disciples.

You can copy and paste links - that's the easiest way to cite your refferences.

Like I said - from the LDS point of view - every time an Angel appears, it is one of the 3 options I gave earlier.

SoyLeche

meh...
rocka21 said:
Moroni was first in 1823, and then various times afterwards.

Among others who visited Joseph Smith:

John the Baptist
Peter, James and John
Moses
Elijah
Elias (not sure exactly who that is)

I'm sure there were more, but I can't think of them right now.

rocka21

Brother Rock
SoyLeche said:
Moroni was first in 1823, and then various times afterwards.

Among others who visited Joseph Smith:

John the Baptist
Peter, James and John
Moses
Elijah
Elias (not sure exactly who that is)

I'm sure there were more, but I can't think of them right now.

So basicly the WHOLE DOCTRINE stems from the apparance of Maroni to Joseph Smith, because he TELLS about the golden tables and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.