• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost Years of Jesus

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
And in reference to him being a carpenter, why the difference in the gospels?

"Is this not the son of the carpenter"
"Is this not the carpenter"

It seems to me that if he was a carpenter, he would not be reffered to as the son of the carpenter, but simply the carpenter, no?

Try tekton or handyman, or 'maker of things'.

He might well have made (stone) anchors, amongst other gear. The Galilean fishing community must have needed hundreds of small ones for bottom lines, and bigger ones for anchors, and biggest ones for moorings. They could have needed special ones for wet-boxes, moored offshore to keep catches (and to save from being seen to land them in front of the fisheries inspector and customs officer!).

There was plenty of work for people that were good with their hands.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There are many translations. And they change with cultural changes, and time.

Had it been known that he was a wood worker, he would have been a tekton of wood. stone, a tekton of stone. Gmarks best account due to what limited information he had, was that Jesus was a poor handworker, and later gospels tried to sort of hide this.
Where is that, outhouse.... GMarks mention of 'poor-handworker'? Everybody in the peasant class (apart from some merchants) could have been described as 'poor' when compared with the upper-classes. And as for poor as in 'unskilled', where is that shown?

Again Johnathon Reed is the best cultural anthropologist in Galilee, and he states for Nazareth, Jesus would have been a handworker living a life below that of a common peasant.
.......which is why Yeshua probably was not there. The place was run-down, it seems, and the area for making money (amongst his own) was around the Lake, where much woodworking and stoneworking was needed.

I was born in Newcastle (God help me) but have not lived there since I was four!!!! Who says Yeshu lived permanently at Nazareth?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Pseudohistory perhaps, pseudoscience not so much.
What makes pseudohistory into pseudoscience is when people present pseudohistory as the result of "historical research" without doing anything like following scientifically rigorous historical research methodology. Regrettably, nonsense such as the Jesus in India theory is often presented as the result of such.

Actually the opposite. I definitely don't doubt that Notovitch's work was definitely not a treatise in "objective" history

To put that into perspective, the monks that he claimed showed him the research said they did no such thing, stated the documents did not exist and called him a liar. The book Indology, Indomania, and Orientalism by Douglas T. McGetchin (Jan 1, 2010) Fairleigh Dickinson University Press ISBN 083864208X page 133 states, "Faced with this cross-examination, Notovich confessed to fabricating his evidence."

So yes, as you say, it was definitely not a treatise in "objective" history.

No matter what the story, fiction or non-fiction, there always exists at least a shred of truth.

True, take for example the fiction that Jesus visited the moon. It evidently contains truth - the moon exists and there really is a character called Jesus that people believe in. However the central claim of this fiction -that Jesus visited the moon, is false.

I also find it interesting that the "nobility" of the monks was not questioned when it provided a means to "debunk" the story, but that the monks questionable nobility provides the counter-argument to subsequent inquiries into the story at least according to one view...

As per the Tibet link you provided, the character of the monks would be questionable if the unsupported assertions of Mrs. Caspari where corroborated by the monks and the monks were unable to produce the document they claimed to have.

Since no document has been produced and no-one has come forward to corroborate the empty claims of Mrs Caspari (who incidentally did not even claim to have read the said documents) there is therefore no reason to assume the monks were of questionable character.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Funny, that's not far off.

Its my opinion, he ate better traveling around with 3-4 disciples healing and teaching for dinner scraps in these poor hovels, then working 6 days a week.

Hmmm...
So I actually don't have an opinion on any of this, to be honest. It's not something I have studied. But whilst I could see you deciding it's likely he went around teaching and healing for scraps just by use of logic, or Occum's Razor, even, how do you come at him having 3-4 disciples, rather than 2 or 5? And is your supposition about him working 6 days a week founded on any sources, or based on Genesis, with God resting on the 7th day?

Just interested in how you came about your opinion, is all.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of Jesus's teachings smack of eastern philosophy and mysticism. Unless it was all divinely revealed to him, as the Vedas were to the rishis, he had to have learned it somewhere. Rome was trading across all of Asia, as far east as China via the Silk Roads. Language, ideas, philosophy, culture went all over the map. Maybe he stayed in Judea and was influenced by traders and travelers, or he himself made travels back and forth. I don't think anyone will ever know.

outhouse

Atheistically
Hmmm...
So I actually don't have an opinion on any of this, to be honest. It's not something I have studied. But whilst I could see you deciding it's likely he went around teaching and healing for scraps just by use of logic, or Occum's Razor, even, how do you come at him having 3-4 disciples, rather than 2 or 5? And is your supposition about him working 6 days a week founded on any sources, or based on Genesis, with God resting on the 7th day?

Just interested in how you came about your opinion, is all.

The NT is all but silent on all but his inner circle, when traveling around healing and teaching for free.

These were poor people, tekton was a displaced renter who did odd jobs by hand and lived a life below poverty, fishermen in Galilee were not much better. He didn't charge but wanted to teach and heal for his dinner. Had they had a larger group they would have starved in these hard times in the poverty stricken villages he went to.

6 day work weeks were normal, scholars state he could have left fro Sepphoris at daybreak, and not returned home till after dark.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The NT is all but silent on all but his inner circle, when traveling around healing and teaching for free.
Hi outhouse, please let me answer some of this....
The NT mentions his outer group of 70 disciples. It also mentions his followers in general. It also mentions his followers vin thousands, but that may be hyperbole.

But this is all about his life before his ministry, and he probably had no disciples at that time. ??

These were poor people, tekton was a displaced renter who did odd jobs by hand and lived a life below poverty, fishermen in Galilee were not much better.
They did quite well, and there reported deaths show that their life expectancy was higher than, for instance, the essenes, whose life expectancy was up to 40 years, as shown by analysis of the bodies found art Qumran.

And so they must have had adequate food and shelter.

He didn't charge but wanted to teach and heal for his dinner. Had they had a larger group they would have starved in these hard times in the poverty stricken villages he went to.
Is this Crosson? Oh dear..... If he got food and shelter and gifts from grateful families, then he earned from his work..... and before his ministry started he probably traveled as a healer and social advisor on his own, because that way the villages would be much more welcoming.

6 day work weeks were normal, scholars state he could have left fro Sepphoris at daybreak, and not returned home till after dark.
Scholars..... have no idea where he worked, probably not at Sepphoris! He loved the people of the waterfront.... he didn't recruit from Sepphoris, and if he was a travelling healer then what was he doing with carpentry at Sepphoris? No sense there. He may well have been making stones and wooden equipment for the fishermen....stuff they couldn't make themselves, and flax working tools etc, and slowed that down to nothing as his skill with healing grew, and his reputation flourished.

These scholars are good at scrutinising documents and archeology, and then they start telling us about what they think, which can be quite as daft as anything that we come up with. Academics....no common sense, little initiative.....crazy ideas, ............. well, that's me being aggressive about them! :)

I do like Vermes and Sanders, though.... so far

outhouse

Atheistically
It's always fun to peruse yet another Jesus of the gaps thread where baseless speculation can breath free. :)

Anyone can snipe bias from tree tops. :slap:

What can they contribute, and is that contribution substantiated, is the question.

Your helping how?

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Where is that, outhouse.... GMarks mention of 'poor-handworker'? Everybody in the peasant class (apart from some merchants) could have been described as 'poor' when compared with the upper-classes. And as for poor as in 'unskilled', where is that shown?

.......which is why Yeshua probably was not there. The place was run-down, it seems, and the area for making money (amongst his own) was around the Lake, where much woodworking and stoneworking was needed.

I was born in Newcastle (God help me) but have not lived there since I was four!!!! Who says Yeshu lived permanently at Nazareth?

Nazareth is where he grew up. As far as we know, when he started his ministry, he traveled and taught, stayed in Capernaum where his fishermen buddies lived.

We just know the authors did not mention him traveling to Sepphoris or any large Hellenistic cities where he could take his message to all, or make a better living. The fact the authors wrote in Peter having a sword at Jesus arrest tells me they were probably zealots as well as placing his home around Galilee, instead of violence he was trying something different, and still ended up like JtB. Have you ever thought Jesus may have been JtB head disciple?

If someone wrote about you from oral tradition Newcastle would never be brought up.

Socioeconomic studies in the last 20 years have changed many views on the wealth or poverty of different cities, villages and fishing industry of Galilee. I don't find older opinions credible or valid with the recent work done there.

outhouse

Atheistically
Hi outhouse, please let me answer some of this....
The NT mentions his outer group of 70 disciples. It also mentions his followers in general. It also mentions his followers vin thousands, but that may be hyperbole.

But this is all about his life before his ministry, and he probably had no disciples at that time. ??

None. correct.

We really don't know much, and educated guesses are all we can go on. There are varied opinions and scholars do interpret this differently.

They did quite well, and there reported deaths show that their life expectancy was higher than, for instance, the essenes, whose life expectancy was up to 40 years, as shown by analysis of the bodies found art Qumran.

And so they must have had adequate food and shelter.

You cannot compare the Zealots to Essenes, hell comparing the Zealots to the Pharisees is tough because of some of the similarities. I view the Pharisees as a wide diverse sect as well.

They did not do quite well. You have to think of what Herod's were doing to pay for the rebuilding of Sepphoris and Tiberious.

Many of Jesus parables were for the poor and oppressed. He speaks of hunger and empty bellies.

They paid them almost nothing for labor, the NT has parables about greedy farm owners, Herods forced people off their land to take it to feed his cities. The fishing industry regulated to some extent. 10,000-15,000 people flooded into Sepphoris while excavations there show they were Jewish, these were not typical traditional Jews in Galilee, these were Hellenistic Jews. The real Jews worked in what amounts to forced labor just to survive. Nazareth and Capernaum were poor places. While Nazareth little is known, they did live in crude fieldstone houses and its my opinion it was sort of a work camp for the rebuilding of Sepphoris

Is this Crosson? Oh dear.....

More then a handful of scholars actually.

Johnathon Reed, Marvin Meyers, John Crossan, Marcus Borg, and Lawrence Shiffman

If he got food and shelter and gifts from grateful families, then he earned from his work..... and before his ministry started he probably traveled as a healer and social advisor on his own, because that way the villages would be much more welcoming.

Free health care for a few pieces of bread dipped in vinegar or olive oil, and possibly some lentels. Its stated by a few scholars above, he would have had his disciples go into a village on market day and sort of set him up stating a great teacher is coming, a while later Jesus pops into town, and has to yell to gather a very small crowd to get his message across hoping to reach out to at least one person who could feed his crew. They did not charge for healing, so it wasn't work.

His message of peaceful resistance against the Romans would have been well accepted, and since he was not under Roman control, he was flying under the Roman radar so to speak. That changed when he went to Passover.

Scholars..... have no idea where he worked, probably not at Sepphoris!

No

Its possible. Wanting to and having too, just to survive, are two different things.

He loved the people of the waterfront.... he didn't recruit from Sepphoris, and if he was a travelling healer then what was he doing with carpentry at Sepphoris?

Tekton does not mean carpentry, there was little to no wood in Nazareth. More of his parables speak of what a stone worker would say, more so then a wood worker.

Did he help build houses or stone fences for courtyards out of fieldstones? probably so.

No sense there. He may well have been making stones and wooden equipment for the fishermen....stuff they couldn't make themselves, and flax working tools etc, and slowed that down to nothing as his skill with healing grew, and his reputation flourished.

We really don't know enough to get into to much detail.

These scholars are good at scrutinising documents and archeology, and then they start telling us about what they think, which can be quite as daft as anything that we come up with. Academics....no common sense, little initiative.....crazy ideas, ............. well, that's me being aggressive about them! :)

The trick is after a while, you see a pattern of "their" thought that takes them to their opinions. Its finding the bias in each so you can hopefully find the truth that makes you personally happy given the lack of information.

I do like Vermes and Sanders, though.... so far

So do I

I think both give great foundations to work form. I do find both of their work to be outdated in many areas.

Its my goal to investigate as much as possible in the socioeconomic divisions of Hellenism in Sepphoris. Johnothan Reed has his view that Sepphoris was a Jewish city with a Hellenistic veneer in the first century. I don't think that fully addresses what we see.

Luke Morningstar

Mourning Stalker
He Came To India And Learnt Spirituality and Went Back and taught to People in Israel. There are evidences for this.

Click here to see

This is my favorite story. I love the idea that "Christ" came from Indian "Krishna" instead of Greek "annointed one." Or even the idea that Buddha was called anointed, and the term landed in Jerusalem 500 years later. It creates a poetic bridge between two seemingly different cultures and religions, that are centered on love and compassion and humility and reason, and fights against the lie I learned: that last 3000 years of history was Europe was the center of culture and human innovation (and for these purposes we pretend that Egypt, the Middle East, and Greece were entirely European up until Islam took over).

Unfortunately, there's no clear evidence that Jesus existed (outside of a Bible that was put together in the 3rd and 4th century by church authorities), let alone traveled to India.

The evidence points to similarities between the stories of Jesus and some of the themes and details of Krishna and Buddha. This is easily explained by the fact that, despite later Western European attitudes of isolation and exploitation, there was a robust and healthy trade between Rome, especially the Eastern Empire, and the massive cultures in India and China. Ideas and stories travel just as far and fast as silk and spices.

I like to think that the story of Jesus stood out from many other messianic cults of the period precisely because of this focus on peace and harmony that it might have gained from eastern cultures. Most of Jesus's contemporary messiahs were focused on the violent overthrow of the Roman occupation, by any means necessary. That was getting a lot of people and their families crucified. Now comes this new story about peace and nonviolent resistance.

These stories are familiar because they are all paths to truth.

I don't need evidence to tell me that Jesus, Krishna, Shiva, Buddha, Moses, Mohammed, and every other deity and prophet that we carry in our hearts were teaching the same message that could be said as simply, "For God's sake, just get along with each other!"

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
TIt creates a poetic bridge between two seemingly different cultures and religions, that are centered on love and compassion and humility and reason, and fights against the lie I learned: that last 3000 years of history was Europe was the center of culture and human innovation (and for these purposes we pretend that Egypt, the Middle East, and Greece were entirely European up until Islam took over).

+1

I don't like that lie as well. Eurocentricity, as well as any centricity, has done great injustice when it has come to understanding the contributions of various civilizations throughout history.

Eurocentric historians of the Colonial Era refused to believe that non-European civilizations could have become great without European assistance. The worst part? Many of those sentiments from that pitiful Era still survive and are taught in schools.

It's pathetic, in my opinion.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Nazareth is where he grew up. As far as we know, when he started his ministry, he traveled and taught, stayed in Capernaum where his fishermen buddies lived.
Hi again... The above is getting close to a contradiction within itself..... ....... look at 'Capernum, where his fishing buddies lived.' 'As far as we know', needs to be reduced to 'As far as we can guess', and once at this point there is space for 'He had left Nazareth as a full time resident well before his ministry started, because he was already a healer, traveller, and had a reputation as such..... already.

We just know the authors did not mention him traveling to Sepphoris or any large Hellenistic cities where he could take his message to all, or make a better living.
Then he probably did not..... work in Sepphoris, or had stopped working in such cities years before. I think he had been attracted to the Lake, and sold his services around the lake before changing careers .... That must have as much credibility if not more than the Sepphoris option?

The fact the authors wrote in Peter having a sword at Jesus arrest tells me they were probably zealots as well as placing his home around Galilee,
Yes! Yes! I agree! I believe that Jesus picked up the 'challenge' of 'free-people' when JtB had to put it down!!! Yes!
Before he had just been a healer, exorcist, ..but later because of his popularity around Galilee he may have felt that he was the one to spread the word... the zealous word. Maybe John saw this in him before his arrest....?

instead of violence he was trying something different, and still ended up like JtB. Have you ever thought Jesus may have been JtB head disciple?
Yes! Yes I have.....or at least that he became very important to John who recognised that he could add many to the movement from the Galilean Lakeside and surrounding villages. Yes! And 'yes', I can see that he felt that a more political less violent approach might win..........

If someone wrote about you from oral tradition Newcastle would never be brought up.
I don't know...... if I'd mentioned it to supporters on occasions as I got slowly p-ssed out of my mind (on wine!:)) they might remember and include it. I might be remembered as 'Oldbadger from Newcastle central' (Oh dear Lord!)

Socioeconomic studies in the last 20 years have changed many views on the wealth or poverty of different cities, villages and fishing industry of Galilee. I don't find older opinions credible or valid with the recent work done there.
Maybe..... please don't chuck out old value for glitzy modern..... the whole picture counts.

outhouse

Atheistically
Hi again... The above is getting close to a contradiction within itself..... ....... look at 'Capernum, where his fishing buddies lived.' 'As far as we know', needs to be reduced to 'As far as we can guess', and once at this point there is space for 'He had left Nazareth as a full time resident well before his ministry started, because he was already a healer, traveller, and had a reputation as such..... already. .

We can only guess his teaching was for 1 to 3 years

Then he probably did not..... work in Sepphoris, or had stopped working in such cities years before. I think he had been attracted to the Lake, and sold his services around the lake before changing careers .... That must have as much credibility if not more than the Sepphoris option?

Possible, but traveling to the lake is to far to commute, is it not?

Yes! Yes! I agree! I believe that Jesus picked up the 'challenge' of 'free-people' when JtB had to put it down!!! Yes!
Before he had just been a healer, exorcist, ..but later because of his popularity around Galilee he may have felt that he was the one to spread the word... the zealous word. Maybe John saw this in him before his arrest....?

We dont know how long he had followed JtB before taking over.

Beofre John taught him, I think he was just another peasant.

Maybe..... please don't chuck out old value for glitzy modern..... the whole picture counts

"Foundation" isnt chucking out anything.

Reecent archeology has changed and information now present they only guessed at.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
None. correct.
Good..... we do align in places.... we do!

You cannot compare the Zealots to Essenes,
Yes I can! We have life expectancy dates for the Essenes, and we have some examples of ages amongst Galileans! Take one! Cephas..... How old at the start of Yeshu's ministry? 25 maybe? And he died (was killed) when 68CE? Wow! And Mark? Maybe 14-15 at the start of Yeshu's ministry, and still alive when Cephas died? And James..... etc....

They paid them almost nothing for labor, the NT has parables about greedy farm owners, Herods forced people off their land to take it to feed his cities. The fishing industry regulated to some extent.
The fishing industry was heavily taxed, levied and then individuals were head-taxed? But then, they had their scams..... They weren't starving or they would have died much younger.... look at the evidence..

10,000-15,000 people flooded into Sepphoris while excavations there show they were Jewish, these were not typical traditional Jews in Galilee, these were Hellenistic Jews. The real Jews worked in what amounts to forced labor just to survive. Nazareth and Capernaum were poor places. While Nazareth little is known, they did live in crude fieldstone houses and its my opinion it was sort of a work camp for the rebuilding of Sepphoris
OK..... nut this does not include the fisheries folk.... they were a source of income...

More then a handful of scholars actually.

Johnathon Reed, Marvin Meyers, John Crossan, Marcus Borg, and Lawrence Shiffman
Yes.... but you don't agree with all they say.... so....?

Must answer the rest later.......

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Free health care for a few pieces of bread dipped in vinegar or olive oil, and possibly some lentels. Its stated by a few scholars above, he would have had his disciples go into a village on market day and sort of set him up stating a great teacher is coming, a while later Jesus pops into town, and has to yell to gather a very small crowd to get his message across hoping to reach out to at least one person who could feed his crew. They did not charge for healing, so it wasn't work.
I don't see the above as correct.
1. His food included 'fish' for a start! He had enough grub, as did the Galileans. This area provided good food, it was one of the most densely populated in the Roman Empire.
2. No he didn't have his disciples go into villages. He didn't have any! They came when he started his ministry, and then they went into villages to tell everyone that the great speaker was coming, with new (zealous) opportunities for them. Yes, at the same time they reminded everyone that he was the healer and to bring out their ill, because that increased the crowd considerably. JtB was no fool in his choice....
3. No, he got a fair sized crowd because he was a healer. And then he had the opportunity to try to spread the zealot message.
4. Before his ministry his village visits were a way of life, just as you have one. After his ministry started these visits were more of a political struggle.

His message of peaceful resistance against the Romans would have been well accepted, and since he was not under Roman control, he was flying under the Roman radar so to speak. That changed when he went to Passover.
Yes! Totally agree!

Tekton does not mean carpentry, there was little to no wood in Nazareth. More of his parables speak of what a stone worker would say, more so then a wood worker.
So just change my word carpenter for 'handyman', read the para again and then answer it...? I like stone-worker too. He would have had masses of work amongst the fishing community working in stone.

Did he help build houses or stone fences for courtyards out of fieldstones? probably so.
Why? He might have, if he'd had the time. But..... I think he slowly gave up all stonework and woodwork as his healing career grew...this a long time before his ministry commenced.

We really don't know enough to get into to much detail.
Reading the gospels gives us masses of info..... we just have to adopt a mindset which allows a more accurate sifting.

The trick is after a while, you see a pattern of "their" thought that takes them to their opinions. Its finding the bias in each so you can hopefully find the truth that makes you personally happy given the lack of information.
Cool :)

Its my goal to investigate as much as possible in the socioeconomic divisions of Hellenism in Sepphoris. Johnothan Reed has his view that Sepphoris was a Jewish city with a Hellenistic veneer in the first century. I don't think that fully addresses what we see.
Fair enough, but I want to go over to the lake villages for my answers first...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
He probably was either still learning to be a great man, or it was a very long stage of immaturity