• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost in Translation

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It is said in English that things get 'lost in translation.' To give the most literal example of that, I had Google Translate translate one of @Seeker of White Light's posts from English to many languages to English. The results are amazing!

'The danger of going outside to pick up the snail mail'

From English to Korean to Arabic to Turkish to Hindi to Norwegian to English:

Avoid, avoid-, avoid, avoid, avoid-, avoid-, resist-, with air, since then, until, avoid, take care. ... in heat from the fire (excessive heat)
Speech announced. for the pier. I have been examined

That's it ".
Well, that's not okay ... and ... and ... prepared in the same way ...: crazy: ok ... at the average pace it's a good deal of millions.

Before going to the first "..." in the air

Unngå, unngå-, unngå, unngå, unngå-, unngå-, motstå-, med luft, siden da, inntil, unngå, pass deg. ... i varmen fra brannen (overdreven varme)
Tale annonsert. for brygga. Jeg har blitt undersøkt

Det er det".
Nå, det er ikke greit... og... og... forberedt på samme måte... :crazy: ok... i mitt gjennomsnittlige tempo er det en god del million.

Før du går til den første "..." i luften

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It is said in English that things get 'lost in translation.' To give the most literal example of that, I had Google Translate translate one of @Seeker of White Light's posts from English to many languages to English. The results are amazing!

'The danger of going outside to pick up the snail mail'

From English to Korean to Arabic to Turkish to Hindi to Norwegian to English:

Unngå, unngå-, unngå, unngå, unngå-, unngå-, motstå-, med luft, siden da, inntil, unngå, pass deg. ... i varmen fra brannen (overdreven varme)
Tale annonsert. for brygga. Jeg har blitt undersøkt

Det er det".
Nå, det er ikke greit... og... og... forberedt på samme måte... :crazy: ok... i mitt gjennomsnittlige tempo er det en god del million.

Før du går til den første "..." i luften
Yaiks :D what have you done to my OP :D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This also happens in first generation translations as a current thread where I again note how different translators render the Quran 17:104 into English. 28 Untranslatable Words from Around the World - Our World English has some fun ones including:

L%E2%80%99appel-du-videv2-.jpg

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
The Korean word "Won" is described as: "Reluctance to let go of an illusion."
I thought this was kind of cool in a symbolic way because Won is also the word they use for their currency.

That’s quite an interesting one! Thanks for bringing that up. :)

Gargovic Malkav

That’s quite an interesting one! Thanks for bringing that up. :)

This may make not much sense to a Korean speaker though, as they may have nuances in their language that are kind of alien to Indo-European speakers.

I think it likely they don't even use the same character in Hangul; this is purely about the sound.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
@ Mangalavara, on your signature:

Rām se badā Rām kā Nām (The name of Lord Rama is greater than Rama himself)

बिना सेतु के सागर को भी,
लांघ सके ना राम,
लांघ गये हनुमान उसी को,
लेकर राम का नाम ।
राम से बड़ा राम का नाम..

Bina setu ke sāgar ko bhi
lāngh sake nā Rām
lāngh gaye Haunmān usī ko
lekar Rām kā nām
Rām se badā Rāam kā Nām

Without the bridge, the ocean, never
Rama could cross
Hanuman crossed the same
by taking the Name of Rama
The Name of Lord Rama is greater than Rama himself.

main-qimg-0b1e2501a50f2c4108679742a7e46973-lq

The Vanaras (Monkey men) and Rikshas (Bear men) built the bridge. And then there was a small squirrel, which also helped in building the bridge by carrying small pebbles. When Lord Rama came to know of this, he patted the squirrel. That is how squirrels got the lines on their back. (See the squirrel near the knees of a monkey warrior). :)

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
This may make not much sense to a Korean speaker though, as they may have nuances in their language that are kind of alien to Indo-European speakers.

I think it likely they don't even use the same character in Hangul; this is purely about the sound.

Speaking of the Korean language, I learned a few days ago that Korean has hundreds or perhaps over a thousand cognates with Tamil. I've heard that Tamil is a rather ancient language, so, it might have been influential on Korean long ago.

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
And then there was a small squirrel, which also helped in building the bridge by carrying small pebbles. When Lord Rama came to know of this, he patted the squirrel. That is how squirrels got the lines on their back. (See the squirrel near the knees of a monkey warrior).

This is a very nice etiological myth. Thanks for sharing. :)

I love what it teaches about the character of Śrī Rāma.