• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost and Confused

molynn

Molynn
I don't know if this is the proper location for this post but I'm in need of some guidance/ help.

I became a Christian a few years ago; I was headed down a horrible path and thought, "This is a way to turn my life around. Plus all my friends are Christian and so I'll have support." I know--wrong reason.

Now, after having examined different religions and my own beliefs a little more in depth, I don't know that I would fall into the Christian faith.

I believe there is a God, who is the cause of the creation of the universe (ie the cause of all those scientific happenings and evolution)

I believe that Jesus was a moral compass who reached a heightened sense of spirituality that brought him close to God and is essentially the yard stick by which we need to measure ourselves. (I still am not sure if I believe that he is the only way to God and salvation.)

I believe that our spirits have many paths that can be taken after death:
- They can be reincarnated
- They can remain on earth (another plane) as a result of being lost or held captive
- They can enter Heaven or Hell until their reincarnation

I believe in angelic and demon entities; they are sent to this earth to protect or destroy us.

I believe that astrology and cosmic energy affect us. (That is to say that I am a believer in astrology, tarot, various energies, the paranormal/parapsychology.)

I know some of this stuff is contradictory and may sound odd to many out there. I was just wondering if there was a religion out there that these beliefs fall into or am I just combining random elements of many religions?

Some that I think might be possibilities are: Unitarian Universalism, Celtic Christianity, Spiritualism, New Age beliefs.... but I just don't know.

Help? Thanks. And sorry if I sound like an idiot. :(

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Moylnn, from what you're saying I think Unitarian Universalism would be a good place to start, but we have members of just about any religion or belief system you could think of here, so why not look around?

And don't worry about sounding like an idiot (not that I think you do).

I usually sound like an idiot and nobodie's tried to kick me out yet. :yes:

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

Don't worry about sounding contradictory (And/or an idiot)! I can't think of a single major religion that doesn't have some form of contradiction (And/or idiots ;)).

Like Quagmire says, UU is a good starting point. You seem to have a lot of New Age beliefs, but UU handles that pretty well.

What you have to ask yourself is: Do I know of any structured religious system for what I believe? If the answer is No, then you have to ask yourself: Is there any structured religious system for what I believe. If the answer is no, then don't change yourself to try and fit into a religion. I recognise the majority of people are social animals that like to have a congregation, but if there is no religious system then follow your heart.

Ask yourself if you really need somebody else to dictate your path. If you're a monotheist, ask God for guidance :)

GhK.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yea, I'd recommend UU as well, or just take a time out for a bit and discover some things on your own. -NM-

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Hi there,

Firstly, be patient with yourself. Never let anyone pressure you into believing what they do, make you feel bad about yourself because your ideas and beliefs differ, or deter you from thinking and exploring different spiritualities and religions for yourself.

Now....

I agree, UU is a good place. From what you said you make me think of Right Hand Path Occultism. I say this because you have clear christian connections you seem to want to hold on to, you mentioned energy - I'm assuming like, working with it and it affecting people, you have definate new age ideas like with the angels and demons and energy and whatnot... and when people think of new age the most common thing that comes to mind is Wicca. Wicca would not be the best because Wicca has absolutely no christian elements to it. Paths like Enochian, Thelema, Qabalah and the people that work with the Golden Dawn system are based out of Judaism and Christianity, and they work with Angelic energies and the divinity they believe is inside everyone.

I am a former wandering christian too... I am just on this Occult kick. I've been studying it for a while now and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. I have a lot more learning to do about everything. Just jump in with both feet and try to learn and absorb everything you can about everything spiritual and keep an open mind.

Best of luck to you! Remember that you are not lost. You are proactively wandering your way out of your confusion. :D

Erebus

I know some of this stuff is contradictory and may sound odd to many out there. I was just wondering if there was a religion out there that these beliefs fall into or am I just combining random elements of many religions?

Some that I think might be possibilities are: Unitarian Universalism, Celtic Christianity, Spiritualism, New Age beliefs.... but I just don't know.

Hey there.
Firstly no you don't sound like an idiot, you've reached a point in your life where you feel you need to evaluate, question and categorise your beliefs. This is perfectly natural and, in my opinion, valuable, as this can be a great chance for you to learn more about yourself and the world/s around you.
I can't offer much advice as this is your path and you need to do whatever seems appropriate. All I will say is don't be afraid to "try out" all of the religions you just mentioned and if none of them fit, don't be afraid to simply start your own personal religion. I've yet to name mine, but I'm considering Dave-ism ;)

MissAlice

I don't know if this is the proper location for this post but I'm in need of some guidance/ help.

I became a Christian a few years ago; I was headed down a horrible path and thought, "This is a way to turn my life around. Plus all my friends are Christian and so I'll have support." I know--wrong reason.

Now, after having examined different religions and my own beliefs a little more in depth, I don't know that I would fall into the Christian faith.

I believe there is a God, who is the cause of the creation of the universe (ie the cause of all those scientific happenings and evolution)

I believe that Jesus was a moral compass who reached a heightened sense of spirituality that brought him close to God and is essentially the yard stick by which we need to measure ourselves. (I still am not sure if I believe that he is the only way to God and salvation.)

I believe that our spirits have many paths that can be taken after death:
- They can be reincarnated
- They can remain on earth (another plane) as a result of being lost or held captive
- They can enter Heaven or Hell until their reincarnation

I believe in angelic and demon entities; they are sent to this earth to protect or destroy us.

I believe that astrology and cosmic energy affect us. (That is to say that I am a believer in astrology, tarot, various energies, the paranormal/parapsychology.)

Well I feel like a semi idiot here too so you're welcome to share your thoughts with me.

I was raised by one extremist and another who not so. This so-called problem has led me into believing there is a lack of god....or tangible proof to be exact. Yet I have ppl telling me either you believe in a divine being or you don't. I find this philjosophy silly since if it weren't for science...these "odd" questions wouldn't be asked.

So in spite of that which makes since to me, I still questiona a great deal of things. Yet oddly, I also find myself drawn more toward mysticism than anything else...but I don't believe to be magic or real. It's almost like consulting a psychoologist when I turn to astrology. It and astronomy are both fascinating subjects..I think.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Welcome to RF, fellow seeker. :)
I'm in a pretty much identical boat to you, so no worries here. :)

Have you tried the Belief-o-Matic Quiz? ( Link here ) This may help you find something that leads you in your search, it might point you in the right direction somewhat.

I would agree with what others have said, you should check out Unitarian Universalism, or something like New Age, or a form of Right-Hand Path Occultism.

I would also suggest you spend some time researching them, and I dunno, for some spending some time 'trying out' the path, and seeing if it works, works wonders. However, this is easier said than done!

Good luck in your journey, keep us informed of the choices you make. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I tried the Belief-o-matic. If anything, it's fun. Years back as a romping lad I came out initially as an orthodox Jew. Oh Vey!!!

OnlyGold

Help?
Your post title is that you are confused and is in need of help.

Try just this since you believe in your God the Creator -
1) Everything in the universe, including your life, is enough. Just remember that everything is enough and deal with daily things in a practical manner.

2) Man can never, never understand God completely, but life is always enough through the mere fact that God is enough and a strong faith that everything is enough.

linwood

You say you believe in a creator god and in Jesus as a mystic/guide.

I`d call you a Christian but I was never fond of that old Nicene Creed anyway.
:)

However if you look around a bit you`ll find that Jesus wasn`t the only mystic/guide out there.

I`ll echo the UU sentiments, you`d be accepted and guided if you wanted guidance.

FYI:
I`m not a UU myself so I`m not trying to indoctrinate you, just sounds like the kinda place you`re looking for.

waitasec

Veteran Member
welcome to the forum...
i think you're feeling confused is because your beliefs need to be proven to yourself in order for you to be able to live with them, it's called integrity. :)
question your beliefs and see where it takes you...

ColorWheel

Enformationist
All of the things you are describing remind me of why I chose to be an Enformationist. You might want to research that a bit.