• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing your life for your religion - Coercive Conversion Programs

Would you ever forcefully convert a family members religion from theirs to yours?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters

Lushee

Hello Everyone,

The persecution of religious minorities remains higher today than it ever has been. According to the Office of Social Justice, nearly five million registered Syrian refugees have fled both religious persecution from the Islamic State and the general chaos in Syria - Christians, Shia Muslims and Yazidis alike; many Christians have been ordered to convert to Islam, pay a religious tax or face death; and in Buddhist Myanmar, over 150,000 Muslims from the Rohingya ethnic group have been stripped of their citizenship and forced into appalling camps. These are just a few cases.

Such violation of religious freedom often occurs in authoritarian or fragmented regimes. However, in the democratic and constitutional Republic of Korea (yes - South Korea), there has been outright abuse of human rights committed beneath the guise of religion, leading to two deaths and more than 1000 kidnappings. Let me tell you about a heinous practice called ‘coercive conversion’ established and implemented by so-called “pastors”.

cc-ban-12-696x464.jpg

In July 2016, a young woman called Ji-In Gu was forcibly taken to a Catholic monastery by her parents after being deceived by ‘pastors’ of the Christian Council of Korea (CCK) that her daughter had fallen into a ‘cult’. After receiving emotional and psychological abuse for refusing to agree to ‘conversion education’ over a period of 44 days, she escaped. On 4th June 2017, she wrote and sent a letter to the th-en-president of Korea pleading with him to bring her captors to justice and to criminalise this practice. She signed off her letter “I hope there won't be any more victims like me”. In January 2018, she was dead. She had been kidnapped a second time and died of asphyxiation in her struggle to escape. Coercive conversion is a programme designed by the Christian Council of Korea (CCK) designed to forcibly convert one’s religion to another against their will.

According to Human Rights Association for Victims of Coercive Conversion Programs (HRAVCCP), two people have been killed and over 1000 have forcibly received coercive conversion education from 2003-2017, with other cases including imprisonment and enforced hospitalization in psychiatric wards. The other victim was hammered to death by her ex-husband on 7th October 2007 for refusing to renounce her religious beliefs.

6-23-696x464.jpg

Even though rallies have been held in 23 cities in 15 countries since January 2018, the Korean government continues to remain silent about this matter. However, news circulated again and a news feature was broadcast on NBC and most recently, an article published in the New York Times.

If you believe all human rights - including religious freedom - must be protected, please join in the protest against the Christian Council of Korea and Coercive Conversion and support religious freedom. Get informed, get involved and help protect victims like Ji-In Gu. Please see the below pages
smiley.png

NBC Broadcast: www.youtube.com/c/endcoerciveconversion

Remember Gu: www.facebook.com/remembergu

[email protected]

Ellen Brown

For those who actually know Islam and the Quran, "there is no compulsion in Islam". Those who force the matter are not Muslims. I am told that ISIS members do not pray, read the Quran, and practice many despicable acts.

Lushee

For those who actually know Islam and the Quran, "there is no compulsion in Islam". Those who force the matter are not Muslims. I am told that ISIS members do not pray, read the Quran, and practice many despicable acts.
That is interesting, I did not know that.

I know there have been forms of converting others religion in history, but it shocks me that this day, its still allowed. I think we have a chance to keep this from happening with a voice against these human right violations.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hello Everyone,

The persecution of religious minorities remains higher today than it ever has been. According to the Office of Social Justice, nearly five million registered Syrian refugees have fled both religious persecution from the Islamic State and the general chaos in Syria - Christians, Shia Muslims and Yazidis alike; many Christians have been ordered to convert to Islam, pay a religious tax or face death; and in Buddhist Myanmar, over 150,000 Muslims from the Rohingya ethnic group have been stripped of their citizenship and forced into appalling camps. These are just a few cases.

Such violation of religious freedom often occurs in authoritarian or fragmented regimes. However, in the democratic and constitutional Republic of Korea (yes - South Korea), there has been outright abuse of human rights committed beneath the guise of religion, leading to two deaths and more than 1000 kidnappings. Let me tell you about a heinous practice called ‘coercive conversion’ established and implemented by so-called “pastors”.

cc-ban-12-696x464.jpg

In July 2016, a young woman called Ji-In Gu was forcibly taken to a Catholic monastery by her parents after being deceived by ‘pastors’ of the Christian Council of Korea (CCK) that her daughter had fallen into a ‘cult’. After receiving emotional and psychological abuse for refusing to agree to ‘conversion education’ over a period of 44 days, she escaped. On 4th June 2017, she wrote and sent a letter to the th-en-president of Korea pleading with him to bring her captors to justice and to criminalise this practice. She signed off her letter “I hope there won't be any more victims like me”. In January 2018, she was dead. She had been kidnapped a second time and died of asphyxiation in her struggle to escape. Coercive conversion is a programme designed by the Christian Council of Korea (CCK) designed to forcibly convert one’s religion to another against their will.

According to Human Rights Association for Victims of Coercive Conversion Programs (HRAVCCP), two people have been killed and over 1000 have forcibly received coercive conversion education from 2003-2017, with other cases including imprisonment and enforced hospitalization in psychiatric wards. The other victim was hammered to death by her ex-husband on 7th October 2007 for refusing to renounce her religious beliefs.

6-23-696x464.jpg

Even though rallies have been held in 23 cities in 15 countries since January 2018, the Korean government continues to remain silent about this matter. However, news circulated again and a news feature was broadcast on NBC and most recently, an article published in the New York Times.

If you believe all human rights - including religious freedom - must be protected, please join in the protest against the Christian Council of Korea and Coercive Conversion and support religious freedom. Get informed, get involved and help protect victims like Ji-In Gu. Please see the below pages
smiley.png

NBC Broadcast: www.youtube.com/c/endcoerciveconversion

Remember Gu: www.facebook.com/remembergu

[email protected]

Thanks for sharing this shocking news. What a disgrace for Korea

Lushee

Isnt it? But its a democratic nation like the US. And it's important that these types of programs get stopped immediately before spreading. The NYT article mentioned it has taken place in LA.

It says you are in Australia...can you imagine this happening there?

I appreciate you reading also :)