• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing Our Religion

David1967

Premium Member
Does the God of the bible call us to serve our religion, belief system, or to serve mankind?

James 1:27 27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
What does it mean to "fear" God as if anyone could ever resist God's omnipotent powers in any way. How can you fear something you cannot comprehend or compete against. God wins every time. I think if we ever face God we pull a Ghandi and just sit in the Lotus position and see what happens next. Fear seems like strange reaction since you can't stop God.

If you replace "fear" when reading the Bible with "awe" it makes for clearer comprehension in today's use of language. It's one of those things I learned in Sunday School many moons ago, although even Robinson Crusoe, written in 1719 is more enjoyable when published with corresponding glossary. However, when it comes to the Bible, that's another area that cannot be agreed upon, unfortunately.

dfnj

James 1:27 27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

So in order to serve God we have to make sure we have a good supply of orphans and widows.

I think there's more to it than just James 1:27.

dfnj

If you replace "fear" when reading the Bible with "awe" it makes for clearer comprehension in today's use of language. It's one of those things I learned in Sunday School many moons ago, although even Robinson Crusoe, written in 1719 is more enjoyable when published with corresponding glossary. However, when it comes to the Bible, that's another area that cannot be agreed upon, unfortunately.

What I read in the Bible does not give me a sense of awe. It makes me think how can anything written so badly be held in such high esteem. As far as I can tell the Bible has two message. Try to live your live with morals and obey authority. I think having morals is great. But I do not blindly obey authority for the sake of it.

Plus people idol worship the words in the Bible. There are a lot of idol worshipers. Of course, I've been accused of being in league with Satan for being critical of how people idol worship the words. People worshiping words with no meanings is a strange thing. I guess that is the source of my awe.

David T

Premium Member
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin doth rock!
Ha!!!! he almost does does not exist on this site at any conscious level at all!!! Then again he writes scientifically with presence. Ironically John Muir was extremely scientific himself. Apparently we prefer to either understand presence as nonsense, (religion) and or the absense of presence as reality (science) ! Wierd culture,, but I am left handed in right handed backwards world!

Spice

Here's where I lost my religion. I fail to see how killing goats for God is divine. The words the Bible seem to me to be written by men deeply entrenched in their culture at the time it was written. It's not like I'm a vegetarian but just killing animals based on superstition seems like a sin to me. How we treat our animals is just one step away from how we treat each other.

Leviticus 23:19 "You shall also offer one male goat for a sin offering and two male lambs one year old for a sacrifice of peace offerings."

Numbers 6:14 "He shall present his offering to the LORD: one male lamb a year old without defect for a burnt offering and one ewe-lamb a year old without defect for a sin offering and one ram without defect for a peace offering,"

True! But this was such an improvement over the requirements of Moloch! Man was, and still is, evolving . . . progressing! But history shows that it has to happen at a pace that allows the progress to stick. So, we stopped throwing babies into the fire, we stopped using animals as offerings (although they were really the food supply for the priest who held the ceremonies & the poor they fed), and we even eventually stopped most of the sinner burnings. Hey, we just got to keep on trucking!

Kelly of the Phoenix

Ouch. My friend lost both her knees to replacement.
I wish I could get some schmancy metal ones. Or maybe ceramic. I want 3D printed new legs. Just go from the hip down. :)

Here's where I lost my religion. I fail to see how killing goats for God is divine.
And the endless whining about equating bad people with goats and dandelions (weeds). Goats are cute and weeds are in the eyes of the beholder, not an objective label.

I want some baby goats to hug. *sniffle*

Spice

What I read in the Bible does not give me a sense of awe. It makes me think how can anything written so badly be held in such high esteem. As far as I can tell the Bible has two message. Try to live your live with morals and obey authority. I think having morals is great. But I do not blindly obey authority for the sake of it.

Plus people idol worship the words in the Bible. There are a lot of idol worshipers. Of course, I've been accused of being in league with Satan for being critical of how people idol worship the words. People worshiping words with no meanings is a strange thing. I guess that is the source of my awe.

Sure, I fully understand. Scripture is much too idolized now that it's available to all. It needs to be read for guidance and comfort that fits with the overall "moral of the story".

You read "Little Red Riding Hood" to young children now-a-days and you get slammed with filling their heads with nonsense that'll just cause nightmares. The wolf is not supposed to be taken for real! It's a story!! Besides, today's kids would probably come back with some wisecrack about she should have had a 9 mil in that basket of hers. But really, which is better to share, the story of Little Red, or the real deal of Nathanial Bar-Jonah?

"Faith" has to be built over time, whether it's faith in one's parents, or faith in one's Creator. The Bible "progresses" and so must it's readers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Your belief in Jesus should lead you to serve mankind.
Why's that?

Surely Jesus is more than capable of meeting any need that humanity ever had, right? Even if you're motivated to care for others, what's left for you to do that Jesus can't do?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Seriously? The point is, to be good to people.
Why? If you're awful to them, wouldn't they be better off overall once God rewards them for being persecuted?

By being good to people, aren't you trading some of their long-term well-being in Heaven for short-term benefit on Earth?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Here's where I lost my religion. I fail to see how killing goats for God is divine. The words the Bible seem to me to be written by men deeply entrenched in their culture at the time it was written. It's not like I'm a vegetarian but just killing animals based on superstition seems like a sin to me. How we treat our animals is just one step away from how we treat each other.

Leviticus 23:19 "You shall also offer one male goat for a sin offering and two male lambs one year old for a sacrifice of peace offerings."

Numbers 6:14 "He shall present his offering to the LORD: one male lamb a year old without defect for a burnt offering and one ewe-lamb a year old without defect for a sin offering and one ram without defect for a peace offering,"

yeah, how do you give to the Most High, what the most high lends