• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing Our Religion

dfnj

god is intrinsic to self and omnipresent.

Jeremiah 23:24
Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them?” declares the Lord. “Do not I fill heaven andearth?” declares the Lord.

Psalm 46:10
He says, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

1 Corinthians 3:16
Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?

Rather than post scripture maybe you should try thinking for yourself and answering in your own words. Scripture can be interpreted a 1000 different ways. But act of you writing down your thoughts solidifies your understanding in your brain.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Does the God of the bible call us to serve our religion, belief system, or to serve mankind?

It's both none of those things and all of them. It is what people have decided to do or make of, with their interpretation the Bible.

dfnj

Is that an observation or an opinion of your own?

God told me in my sleep. Just kidding. Of course it's an opinion. The Bible was written by men not by God. The words in the Bible are interpreted by men. The Bible is design to trick people in accepting monarchy as the best form of government on Earth.

dfnj

Eccles 12:13 "The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man."

What does it mean to "fear" God as if anyone could ever resist God's omnipotent powers in any way. How can you fear something you cannot comprehend or compete against. God wins every time. I think if we ever face God we pull a Ghandi and just sit in the Lotus position and see what happens next. Fear seems like strange reaction since you can't stop God.

arthra

Baha'i
Does the God of the bible call us to serve our religion, belief system, or to serve mankind?
Baha'is do accept the Bible as Divinely inspired and believe the "God of the Bible" is the same God that inspired the other great religions. In the Baha'i Faith "service to humanity" is considered worship:

"Work done in the spirit of service is the highest form of worship."
(Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 83)

"Senses and faculties have been bestowed upon us, to be devoted to the service of the general good; so that we, distinguished above all other forms of life for perceptiveness and reason, should labor at all times and along all lines, whether the occasion be great or small, ordinary or extraordinary, until all mankind are safely gathered into the impregnable stronghold of knowledge”.6

Work and Service | What Bahá’ís Believe

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The Bible demands blind loyalty. Termed as faith. So in essence everything revolves around serving God and doing everything that God dictates without question. It revolves around a signature theme of submission and servitude that is consistent throughout the Bible making it a book all about serving God's will and not of your own.

syo

serve mankind. what i like about christianity is that it's a religion that teaches us how to live well with other people and it teaches morals based on love. serve mankind first, theology second.

Perhaps it's not an eight or question.

Perhaps He calls us to serve the community and the society.

Many modern churches focus on the experience of the individuals.

To me, this is a sure way to end church in the form we know it.

Instead, we ought to go back to emphasising the collective organisation of the community.

pearl

Through his prophet Amos God makes pretty clear who we are to serve.

Hate evil and love good,

and let justice prevail at the gate;

Then it may be that the LORD, the God of hosts,
will have pity on the remnant of Joseph

I hate, I despise your feasts,

I take no pleasure in your solemnities.
Even though you bring me your burnt offerings and grain offerings

I will not accept them;

Your stall-fed communion offerings,

I will not look upon them.

Take away from me

your noisy songs;

The melodies of your harps,

I will not listen to them.

Rather let justice surge like waters,

and righteousness like an unfailing stream.

Amos 5

sealchan

Fr. Thomas Berry. Read and go for it he an awesome Saint non Saint Or St Francis. Or hildegard von debingen or lr St Therese or Thomas Merton or Pierre de tellihard. Up to you all dead folks. The theologian as God speaker is over dead and done. I have a degree in theology btw!!! Lol.

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin doth rock!

sealchan

Yes.

But those who say one must not have one's own understanding, that just does not make sense. What soul is saved by another's understanding?

Besides every story in the Bible describes or comes from the understanding of someone who is not God.

dfnj

Here's where I lost my religion. I fail to see how killing goats for God is divine. The words the Bible seem to me to be written by men deeply entrenched in their culture at the time it was written. It's not like I'm a vegetarian but just killing animals based on superstition seems like a sin to me. How we treat our animals is just one step away from how we treat each other.

Leviticus 23:19 "You shall also offer one male goat for a sin offering and two male lambs one year old for a sacrifice of peace offerings."

Numbers 6:14 "He shall present his offering to the LORD: one male lamb a year old without defect for a burnt offering and one ewe-lamb a year old without defect for a sin offering and one ram without defect for a peace offering,"