• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing made me more wise today!

Losing can make you more wise than winning?

• I feel strongly yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I'm guessing Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I have no clue

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I'm guessing no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel strongly No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Today we played kick ball, and all the females were on my team , and we got our asses kicked, and were made fun of for throwing, kicking, "running like girls", and taunted by the winners.

I did manage to make a home run (which I'm surprised I can with the injuries, but the bases were not far apart), but it was frustrating getting owned.

The other team had ten times as many points at one moment. They did rock paper scissors on how the players were divided up and our captain kept losing at that too.

Pride comes before the fall, and being a winner can make a person miss out on humility and lessons that make one wiser, meek, or charitable.

It's hard to explain, but playing and losing like that reminds me not to admire people like Napoleon.

He's a Kami I have on my wall, and I pray for his soul, that he would one day use his gifts for good, but he was a bully, picking on people weaker and less gifted than himself, to feed his ego and narcissism, need to control , and need to have power.

Being on the much weaker side in kickball today , was like being the Prussians alone , on the field against Napoleon. The other side was more gifted at throwing and kicking a ball.

But I got to leave with more wisdom and humility, that I would not have had if we didn't get our butts kicked!

I took a wise lesson from the field today, so am glad we didn't just lose...We got our asses handed to us! :D

It makes me reflect on and share in the privilege of experiencing what victims of oppression and bullying go through when losing at anything. :(

Not sure how to explain it, but can you think of a time where losing made you more wise?

Choose the best answer in the poll

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In so many ways, we are taught more lessons by our losses than our victories. Victories tend to promote the idea that we're doing everything well, or that we're on the right path. Which, of course, we might be. But unless that kickball team is the best on the planet, the reason they won is because they were matched up with a weaker team. So what does that actually teach you?

A now, a poem, because...well...it seems relevant.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

If... Rudyard Kipling

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Yes loosing is a great teacher and as you have noticed, the bullying of a certain type of boy towards girls can be very hurtful. That is something i think you will take away from your game and remember.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes loosing is a great teacher and as you have noticed, the bullying of a certain type of boy towards girls can be very hurtful. That is something i think you will take away from your game and remember.

Have you heard people tell guys , "you kick/throw/run/shoot hoops etc. like a girl?"

I assume even when it is a joke, being female, you don't find it funny. You find it offensive right?

At age 14 someone told me I threw like a girl and I stopped playing baseball as a result. Then I started again as an early adult and was told I'm a natural.

Sometimes we need to be very careful who we listen to, because we might be good at something, and get fed bull**** feedback.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I quit playing baseball for other reasons too. It was a very dark , troubled time for me in my early teens.