• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord Shiva devotees only: What is your experience?

Chakra

Premium Member
As soon as we start applying anthropomorphism I am lost. Two of the three perfections I hear about are formless. My version of Siva is like Nataraja, very thin, a body of light, and constantly shifting to the rhythms of the universe.

So I think it is two different things, not that it matters.

Have either of you ever been to a Siva temple? Maybe if you went to one you'd know if it was the same or not.

I have seen Shiva in more of a meditative pose in the temples I've seen. Of course, since I am a Vaisnavite, I will see Shiva in a different outlook than a monist. I usually do not see Shiva as formless, so maybe that is why me and mystic have different ideas.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have seen Shiva in more of a meditative pose in the temples I've seen. Of course, since I am a Vaisnavite, I will see Shiva in a different outlook than a monist. I usually do not see Shiva as formless, so maybe that is why me and mystic have different ideas.

The Puranic 'Shivji" is the most common depiction in the North, although lingams are also fairly common. Saiva Siddhanta these days is intricately tied to Tamil culture. There all the main temples house majestic lingams in the sanctums, except for Chidambaram where Nataraja presides. Nataraja is 'sort of' anthropomorphic, but not like the others from the Puranas.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Axlyz and I are experiencing the same Shiva :) . Her and I are beyond a shadow of a doubt experiencing the same Shiva. But I do know this, the Shiva that I am experiencing is the same Shiva that Axlyz is experiencing. And the feeling is so close that it feels like we are brother and sister in a spiritual sense.

I'm confused. You know Axlyz in real time? I thought Axlyz identified as male on here.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is very interesting. It does seem that the more ancient temples of Lord Shiva haven't shown him in the Puranic way. Have you been to the 12 Shiva-ling temples?

No, but I want to go to the 5 elemental lingams. I've only been to TN. Tanjore, Madurai, Rameswaram, and Chidambaram were the main Siva temples we went to. Other than that, it was the Murugan temples.

Chakra

Premium Member
No, but I want to go to the 5 elemental lingams. I've only been to TN. Tanjore, Madurai, Rameswaram, and Chidambaram were the main Siva temples we went to. Other than that, it was the Murugan temples.

Ah, hope you can fulfill your desire. :)

I do hope to visit all the major Vaisnava temples in South India and all the prominent Shiva temples and the 12 lingas before I die...we'll see what happens.

mystic64

nolonger active
I do not know mystic in real life sadly although I would love to. The "her" was probably a typo.

:) opps! Axlyz you have a gentleness to your heart that is usually associated with the feminine principle. Sometimes the empathic stuff throws a person off :) . Thank you Vinayaka for saying something! Again "Opps! :) !"

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ah, hope you can fulfill your desire. :)

I do hope to visit all the major Vaisnava temples in South India and all the prominent Shiva temples and the 12 lingas before I die...we'll see what happens.

Tirupati and SriRangam are musts then. It is really hard to decide on which ones to go to, especially if you want to stay and enjoy them for a bit. Some people go for darshan and then leave. That's certainly not my style as I'd prefer to sit and find Him within for a bit too, but to each his own. It's hard to estimate how many there are, and of course all the locals think their town is an absolute must see. I've probably only been to a dozen or so ... the more famous ones.

If I made a list, it would probably take an entire year of steady pilgrimage. Kanchipuram itself has over 1000 temples. http://www.visitkanchi.org/TempleTown.html

Chakra

Premium Member
Tirupati and SriRangam are musts then. It is really hard to decide on which ones to go to, especially if you want to stay and enjoy them for a bit. Some people go for darshan and then leave. That's certainly not my style as I'd prefer to sit and find Him within for a bit too, but to each his own. It's hard to estimate how many there are, and of course all the locals think their town is an absolute must see. I've probably only been to a dozen or so ... the more famous ones.

If I made a list, it would probably take an entire year of steady pilgrimage. Kanchipuram itself has over 1000 temples. Kanchipuram City, Kanchipuram History, Kanchipuram Mythology, Kanchipuram Glory, Kanchipuram Tour Guide, Pallava Dynasty, Pallava Capital, Kanchipuram The Temple Town of India

Ah okay. I've been to Tirupati when I was a very young child. I plan to visit all the temples related to the Sri Vaishnavism since I am very much interested in them. And certainly, staying for a little while is definitely the way to go. :)

Anyway, I've done enough to derail this thread. Thanks for answering my questions Vinayaka. Let the discussion on the experiences/miracles of Lord Shiva continue.

Last edited:

Chakra

Premium Member
:) opps! Axlyz you have a gentleness to your heart that is usually associated with the feminine principle. Sometimes the empathic stuff throws a person off :) . Thank you Vinayaka for saying something! Again "Opps! :) !"

LOL, thanks. It's cool.
Although, why exactly is this thread in the Same Faith Debates area?

And thanks so much Vinayaka! I had been looking for a guide for the Divya Desams and you've given them to me. Thank you!

Also, are we allowed to discuss miracles here?

Last edited:

mystic64

nolonger active
As soon as we start applying anthropomorphism I am lost. Two of the three perfections I hear about are formless. My version of Siva is like Nataraja, very thin, a body of light, and constantly shifting to the rhythms of the universe.

So I think it is two different things, not that it matters.

Have either of you ever been to a Siva temple? Maybe if you went to one you'd know if it was the same or not.

I have never been to India in this lifetime. In my last lifetime I was a yogi master that started a tradition that versions of it are still very active in today's world. And for $250 USD you can get the first initiation :) ! Which is why I am not going to be a Guru in this lifetime. You start something as a gift and then go away for one hundred and some odd years and when you come back it has become commercial :) . Aaaa! And you start with the first initiation is enough (which it was) which is then attached to a version of Raja Yoga with the eighth initiation being the raising of the male kundalini :) . And origionally it was a gift to householders and the traditionalist gave it to the swamis :) . My Guru told me it wouldn't work and now I know why. You can't fight tradition :) . So now I have reicarnated in the US where tradition is new and fresh and in constant change :) . I would like to go to southern India and sit with some of those who are rural small village folks who worship Lord Shiva. But that will probably never happen in this life time.

Footnote to the viewers: Please don't ask me for the first initiation because I am not licenced to teach it :) .

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In orthodoxy, initiations are always free, and only given to the deserving. Dakshina is just polite, but not necessary. You are doing the right thing.

mystic64

nolonger active
LOL, thanks. It's cool.
Although, why exactly is this thread in the Same Faith Debates area?

And thanks so much Vinayaka! I had been looking for a guide for the Divya Desams and you've given them to me. Thank you!

Also, are we allowed to discuss miracles here?

This topic is in this forum because I didn't know where else to put it and the DIR rules said that if you aren't sure then to define the topic and put it here. From there the gods will figure out what to do with it if anything needs done.

Axlyz, as far as I am concerned you and Vinayaka can do no wrong :) and I am just delighted that you guys are members and willing to participate in this topic. Talking about miracles or anything else that folks with a common interest in Shiva/Siva can kick around, sounds great to me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So here's a story. Aum Sivaya

On my first Indian pilgrimage, we (my daughter and I) were at Tanjore, the Big temple, called that because, well, it's big. The capstone is huge, and the Nandi is massive. I went over for when it opens in the morning, but my daughter slept in. There were about 20 devotees there. The priest unlocked the doors and all of the people, chanting variations of Namashivaya followed him in. Once we got right inside, I remembered I should have brought flowers, so the driver who was with me volunteered to run back outside and over a couple of blocks to buy some. Nice. Then, within about 10 minutes, everyone else left, after morning namaskarams. So then it was just me, the priest, and the Lingam. For about 15 minutes (hard to actually remember the time involved) I sat. Just me ... Siva. Now, in that circumstance, one does not have to try very hard to go in.

Why me? I have no idea. But after the driver came with flowers, priest, via driver, told me it was extremely unusual for one devotee to be there for long, alone like that.

Not a miracle ... just a story.

Here's the temple ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brihadeeswarar_Temple

mystic64

nolonger active
So here's a story. Aum Sivaya

On my first Indian pilgrimage, we (my daughter and I) were at Tanjore, the Big temple, called that because, well, it's big. The capstone is huge, and the Nandi is massive. I went over for when it opens in the morning, but my daughter slept in. There were about 20 devotees there. The priest unlocked the doors and all of the people, chanting variations of Namashivaya followed him in. Once we got right inside, I remembered I should have brought flowers, so the driver who was with me volunteered to run back outside and over a couple of blocks to buy some. Nice. Then, within about 10 minutes, everyone else left, after morning namaskarams. So then it was just me, the priest, and the Lingam. For about 15 minutes (hard to actually remember the time involved) I sat. Just me ... Siva. Now, in that circumstance, one does not have to try very hard to go in.

Why me? I have no idea. But after the driver came with flowers, priest, via driver, told me it was extremely unusual for one devotee to be there for long, alone like that.

Not a miracle ... just a story.

Here's the temple ... Brihadeeswarar Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is so awesome when things like that happen in one's life :) . And being able to sit or stand quietly for a time in an ancient temple like that, whether folks realise it or not, is a life altering experience. Sometimes it takes awhile for the information that is recieved to be processed, but whether one realizes it or not, they do walk out different :) .

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Once (if) we get to feeling we're in Siva's presence all the time, how do we maintain that feeling?
How did we get there in the first place?
If we're not there yet, what do we need to do?

There is a lot to say about getting there, but very little to say once you get there. (or so I hear)

Experiences like the temple experience above are just reminders that it's possible, not much really. On our own we should be able to remember, but on occasion we need a little help.

Of course, the intellect can talk and talk and talk some more. like some ridiculously thick band of clouds hiding the sun from view.

Last edited: