• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord Shiva All Knowing?

Radez

I couldn't find any post on this but I'm curious.
How come Lord Shiva didn't recognize Lord Ganesha was his son before beheading him?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Usually people understand puranas or myths metaphorically, and in this case it celebrates Ganesha's intelligence, and wisdom.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not sure I understand.

Why are you asking? Maybe that will help with an answer. In the meantime, I'll share my limited little Shaiva POV.

Shiva is all-knowing. This story is a myth. Period. Nothing to worry about.

Radez

I'm asking because someone asked me, and I couldn't really answer them. If its a myth then how did lord ganesha receive a elephant's head?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Lord Ganesha's elephant head is a symbol. it represents wisdom and intelligence. The real Lord Ganesha looks more like one of those fat jolly Buddha's to the inner eye ... an absolute real vibration, to be felt, most especially in one of His temples, or emanating from one of His murthis, which He can temporarily inhabit.

The whole myth is one about gaining wisdom. Siva (as the atman, evolving) is disrespecting Shakti (nature) and suffers for it, and learns His lesson ... to apply more wisdom (represented by Ganesha's head) to situations, not just this one, but others in life.

Siva loves to dance, to have fun, to enjoy his universe. So he creates Ganesha to help Himself keep it organized, as known in one of Ganesha's names, Lord of Categories. So one aspect of Ganesha is like Siva's little organizing helper.

There are many many ways to interpret puranas, and this is just one or two. Quite obviously (at least to me) the literal way makes no sense at all.

Wannabe Yogi

I agree with Vinayaka. You need a very flexible mind to understand Hinduism and the Mythology teaches that flexibility. I do not believe that the Lord Siva literally lives on top of a mountain in the Himalayas with His family. I do believe that the story on how Ganesha got his head has lots to teach us about life.

Marble

Rolling Marble
I think that whole story only exists to explain why Ganesha has an elephant head.
There may be many, many other stories that try to explain this, but that one is the best known in the west.