• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why has the world become so obsessed with looks? Everyone "must" look perfect to get anywhere in this world now. Looks does not matter, How we behave and how we treat others does matter, is it not?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's not just today. Looks have always been highly valued by people. Why else would you have ancient Egyptians using make up to make themselves more attractive?

We're primates. Primates are mostly visually oriented species.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's not just today. Looks have always been highly valued by people. Why else would you have ancient Egyptians using make up to make themselves more attractive?

We're primates. Primates are mostly visually oriented species.

I dont say females should not used makeup :) But i dont think we need plastic surgery for looks, For those who have been damaged in the body i do understand they want and maybe need to have plastic surgery, but for looks just for beauty? nah :confused:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Genetics and evolution. Both assessment the best chance to pass their genes on. Part of that is finding a mate that will provide healthy children apt to pass on their genes. When someone looks "good" they look like they could be a good parent, provided of sustenance, or have superior genetics. Looks are a shortcut for judgment.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I dont say females should not used makeup :) But i dont think we need plastic surgery for looks, For those who have been damaged in the body i do understand they want and maybe need to have plastic surgery, but for looks just for beauty? nah :confused:

As human foibles go, a desire to look good is not the worse by far. One woman told me that some plastic surgery she had done gave her a confidence she'd not had before. So I'm a bit ambivalent on the issue.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why has the world become so obsessed with looks? Everyone "must" look perfect to get anywhere in this world now. Looks does not matter, How we behave and how we treat others does matter, is it not?
Would you want someone who looks like a bum working for you? Do you want others to think of you as sloppy, messy, dirty, and unkempt? Would you freely and openly associate with someone who's arms have several noticeable track marks? Much of it is because we are social and visual animals. We want to appeal to others, to be included, and by the standards we're judged we judge others.
I also wouldn't really say "the world has become," because humans have been into looks before our species of human even existed (as evidenced by Neanderthal jewelry). It's a survival mechanism, is a social functioning mechanism, and it also serves sexual/reproductive purposes. That, and humans aren't the only ones. Think of the male peacock and his flamboyant display of colored feathers to attract a mate.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As human foibles go, a desire to look good is not the worse by far.
I would wonder that if someone doesn't like to maintain at least a certain minimum of looking good (such as being clean, wearing appropriate clothes that aren't raggy, and groomed well enough) then they may have some mental health issues going on, such as depression, low self-esteem, or a number of disorders that make such things none important or difficult to follow through with.
I would go as far to say that someone who doesn't care to look good and doesn't have any underlying mental health issues probably doesn't have much self-respect. And, really, how can you say you do respect yourself if you present yourself to the world as sloppy mess who didn't even bother to change out of their pajamas, put clean clothes on, or brush their hair and teeth? And not to mention that some ways of not looking good also produce some unpleasant smells.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Would you want someone who looks like a bum working for you? Do you want others to think of you as sloppy, messy, dirty, and unkempt? Would you freely and openly associate with someone who's arms have several noticeable track marks? Much of it is because we are social and visual animals. We want to appeal to others, to be included, and by the standards we're judged we judge others.
I also wouldn't really say "the world has become," because humans have been into looks before our species of human even existed (as evidenced by Neanderthal jewelry). It's a survival mechanism, is a social functioning mechanism, and it also serves sexual/reproductive purposes.

It is different to take care of one self and the fact that younger people, specially females have a very pressure to look good, and the if they do not have the best of clothing, most expensive, they are not seen as good people. And one other thing is weight issues, why do only thin females get the modelling jobs? (yes i do know some larger people do some few jobs too) But all ads on Tv and Internet are pointed toward thin "beautiful" womans and "handsome" men. But nobody talk about how we could be better people by doing something from within.

What others think of me does not bother me at all, i am who i am no matter what others say.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I disagree that one must look perfect to get anywhere in this world. I think one has to appear with a degree of professionalism, especially in the work force.

As @Sunstone said, we are a visually oriented species. So wouldn't you consider grooming standards a way we behave?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

The two emboldened statements appear to me as contradictory.

Frankly, I've never been a proponent of females wearing makeup. I have met many that, in my opinion, are just as beautiful without it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is different to take care of one self and the fact that younger people, specially females have a very pressure to look good, and the if they do not have the best of clothing, most expensive, they are not seen as good people.

And one other thing is weight issues,
Probably because being overweight isn't healthy, obesity is a disease that is very difficult and destructive for the body, and it shouldn't be encouraged or normalized. They do tend to pick women who are smaller than average, which doesn't help, and then Photoshop them anyways, but, indeed, healthy weights should be encouraged.
But I do agree that sometimes it goes too far. We don't realize that creation (an outfit, in this case) is more about creativity than brand names and celebrity endorsements. We put more stock into a name than we do aesthetics. But people generally aren't going to see you as a bad person because you wear Levi instead of Gucci. And if they do, is this the sort of person you want to associate with beyond what you absolutely have to? Bullying does occur over such a thing, and I believe it is the result of placing too much emphasis on how you "must" look to look good rather than acknowledging that not everyone can pull off the same looks, not everyone can afford it, and not everyone cares.
But, to a point, better looking clothes do tend cost more (unless you make them yourself), especially if you don't want to look like a box store dressed you.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I also wouldn't really say "the world has become," because humans have been into looks before our species of human even existed (as evidenced by Neanderthal jewelry). It's a survival mechanism, is a social functioning mechanism, and it also serves sexual/reproductive purposes. That, and humans aren't the only ones. Think of the male peacock and his flamboyant display of colored feathers to attract a mate.

While I agree with most of what you say here, I think it's important not to confuse aesthetics with hygiene.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I disagree that one must look perfect to get anywhere in this world. I think one has to appear with a degree of professionalism, especially in the work force.

As @Sunstone said, we are a visually oriented species. So wouldn't you consider grooming standards a way we behave?

As long we are not to any discomfort to others i dont think we must look "perfect" no

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As long we are not to any discomfort to others i dont think we must look "perfect" no

I never said we "must look "perfect.""

But I do live by an agreement to always do my best. For me, that applies to how I present myself as well as anything else in life, both for my own benefit and for that of others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If it was not so cold in Winter here in Norway i would wear similar robes as Monks do but in white or a color that is not only for monastic. But since this is not very common in Norway i dont want to put myself forth to moccing from other people in the town i live.