• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking Poor?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We had a contractor in yesterday to look at replacing some windows. Much to our surprise, he spent most of the time here discouraging us from fixing this or that, telling us "you can't afford that". This isn't a person we know; we just met. He has no idea what our financial situation is.

Regardless of whether we can or can't afford something, what makes a person feel another person is a 'has not'? What makes a person assume another is well off?

Personally, I don't make assumptions regarding such. (There's plenty of other more fun to make assumptions about.)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A contractor was turning down business?

Wow. Something was off.

I did have the experience in a business of my wife and I not being dressed "up" and so being ignored by sales people in spite of us being there to actually buy some expensive kitchen gear (a stove as I remember).

I've also had the experience in a job of trying to buy some software and having the sales person not responding. I mean, we were in effect waving money at him and he was metaphorically in a trance.

What I would expect is a contractor to say something about the job being expensive to see what the reaction would be. But to refuse to bid on a job is bad business. Because if it happened to me, I'd be sure to tell others to not call the contractor.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
We had a contractor in yesterday to look at replacing some windows. Much to our surprise, he spent most of the time here discouraging us from fixing this or that, telling us "you can't afford that". This isn't a person we know; we just met. He has no idea what our financial situation is.

Regardless of whether we can or can't afford something, what makes a person feel another person is a 'has not'? What makes a person assume another is well off?

Personally, I don't make assumptions regarding such. (There's plenty of other more fun to make assumptions about.)

Your stuff, generally speaking.
Whether it looks cheap or expensive.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I always look poor. But your experience is kind of strange. Guy should know better.

Buying a car was odd for us at first, as we didn't finance, but paid cash. The sales guys are often taken aback because of it. There are a lot of assumptions going on about wealth. A guy can be stone cold broke and look well off as well.

With houses, it goes both ways. Many folks live in a smaller house just so they have extra money for travel etc. At the opposite are folks who buy way beyond their means, and have no cash flow. So although the house looks expensive, they can't afford a new fridge when the old one goes boom.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Wow. Something was off.

I did have the experience in a business of my wife and I not being dressed "up" and so being ignored by sales people in spite of us being there to actually buy some expensive kitchen gear (a stove as I remember).

I've also had the experience in a job of trying to buy some software and having the sales person not responding. I mean, we were in effect waving money at him and he was metaphorically in a trance.

What I would expect is a contractor to say something about the job being expensive to see what the reaction would be. But to refuse to bid on a job is bad business. Because if it happened to me, I'd be sure to tell others to not call the contractor.

In this context, that is probably true. But I refuse to bid on jobs where I don't think I'd be able to provide the client with the service they need, or where I think they're making a substantial mistake in direction they'll later regret. That's about maintaining long term relationships and credibility over short term monetary gain.

Doubt that's the case here, but not ALL contractors are looking at the next dollar (only)...lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I always look poor. But your experience is kind of strange. Guy should know better.

Buying a car was odd for us at first, as we didn't finance, but paid cash. The sales guys are often taken aback because of it. There are a lot of assumptions going on about wealth. A guy can be stone cold broke and look well off as well.

With houses, it goes both ways. Many folks live in a smaller house just so they have extra money for travel etc. At the opposite are folks who buy way beyond their means, and have no cash flow. So although the house looks expensive, they can't afford a new fridge when the old one goes boom.

I saw this happen with my father in law when he was trying to buy a pretty expensive car. Walked in on the weekend with his grandkids in tow, dressed in trackies and a cap, and couldn't get anyone's attention.
Went mid-week after work, business casual, and had a latte in his hand and a smiling sales person fawning over him within 2 minutes.

Struck me as mighty strange, but sales guys play the odds, I suppose.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Wow. Something was off.

Our house can be a little zany, but it was strange. He didn't seem rude, just a little concerned. The house is somewhat of a fixer upper; most is in decent shape, but the previous tenants tore up a lot of it in the name of 'remodeling'. (The bathroom is trash.) All in all, it worked to our advantage. We paid a little more than half what it would have been worth if it was up to par.

How frustrating to be ignored when you're trying to buy something. Did you and your wife go elsewhere? I've never had that happen in retail, but I've struggled to find a doctor that would actually investigate my medical conditions based on appearance in the past.

Your stuff, generally speaking.
Whether it looks cheap or expensive.

Like @Vinayaka says, this can be deceiving. I know people with brand new cars that can't afford their monthly bills, while a relative of mine that has more money than they know what to do with drives around in a rust bucket old vehicle.

I can see why a person might think that, though. It surprises me that more don't catch on.

amorphous_constellation

That is kind of weird , but I think that attitude, rude or inappropriate as it is, seems like it emanates from our now fully saturated 'credit history culture.' It's common enough with everything else, isn't it. Getting a job, getting apartment, it all breaks down to cross examination of background

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I saw this happen with my father in law when he was trying to buy a pretty expensive car. Walked in on the weekend with his grandkids in tow, dressed in trackies and a cap, and couldn't get anyone's attention.
Went mid-week after work, business casual, and had a latte in his hand and a smiling sales person fawning over him within 2 minutes.

Struck me as mighty strange, but sales guys play the odds, I suppose.

My little brother had a share in the farm with my older brother. He was about 19 I think. The older brother bought him out, so he had a whack of cash, and not that many brains, typical 19 year old. He had a hard time buying a car, had to go to about 5 dealers.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That is kind of weird , but I think that attitude, rude or inappropriate as it is, seems like it emanates from our now fully saturated 'credit history culture.' It's common enough with everything else, isn't it. Getting a job, getting apartment, it all breaks down to cross examination of background

Background... that gets me thinking. Though credit definitely plays a role in one's background, do you think there's more in one's background that is analyzed in these situations?

I bought my van on craiglist in cash. I went into a dealership once, and the vibe I got from the place kinda made me wanna puke. Instead, I bought a minivan from a man who sounded big and tough through text, but when we showed up, had a very cheerful demeanor, and appeared to be juggling a multitude of toddlers and puppies. It made me smile.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Like @Vinayaka says, this can be deceiving. I know people with brand new cars that can't afford their monthly bills, while a relative of mine that has more money than they know what to do with drives around in a rust bucket old vehicle.

I can see why a person might think that, though. It surprises me that more don't catch on.

I agree it can be deceiving, but still that's what people generally do.

amorphous_constellation

Background... that gets me thinking. Though credit definitely plays a role in one's background, do you think there's more in one's background that is analyzed in these situations?

I bought my van on craiglist in cash. I went into a dealership once, and the vibe I got from the place kinda made me wanna puke. Instead, I bought a minivan from a man who sounded big and tough through text, but when we showed up, had a very cheerful demeanor, and appeared to be juggling a multitude of toddlers and puppies. It made me smile.

Hm... Well yeah there is a 'high society' vibe at the dealership that I don't really fit in with, but I don't really care anymore at this point. I don't want things starting on fire, or transmission fluid leaking all over the road. So I got a new car now.. (though I'm waiting for a new part because of a recall, fuel pump might stop working) Worrying about car problems has subtracted years off my life.. And they continue to actually. Let's just say, sometimes it sucks sharing cars with siblings - who knows what will happen to me if they mess up. But who's the one who is acting as responsible as he can?

I didn't even want a car, but it's the only way I can avoid lighting storms between here and work. I don't know, maybe I'm better off jettisoning the thing and just using a bike

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Hm... Well yeah there is a 'high society' vibe at the dealership that I don't really fit in with, but I don't really care anymore at this point. I don't want things starting on fire, or transmission fluid leaking all over the road. So I got a new car now.. (though I'm waiting for a new part because of a recall, fuel pump might stop working) Worrying about car problems has subtracted years off my life.. And they continue to actually. Let's just say, sometimes it sucks sharing cars with siblings - who knows what will happen to me if they mess up. But who's the one who is acting as responsible as he can?

I didn't even want a car, but it's the only way I can avoid lighting storms between here and work. I don't know, maybe I'm better off jettisoning the thing and just using a bike

I put off driving until I couldn't anymore... car problems do wear on you. Something snapped in me, though, and I tend to laugh them off.

The only time I didn't think it was funny was when the ol' van broke down on the interstate in snowy weather while I was wearing a georgette saree and slip ons. But then it became an adventure.... but that's a very long story.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Please tell us the story :D

As with any good story, its the characters involved...

My van is dead. We're on the side of an interstate. Its in the middle of a snowstorm. I do have a coat, but I'm wearing something that looks similar to this:
cream-silk-saree-with-silk-blouse-1-lstv01315.jpgand this6185eiDkqDL._AC_UL1200_.jpg

I do have a coat, but its windy and yucky. Not anything you want to be stranded in. Home is about 2 hours away. We called for a tow, and everything is backed up. We're told it'll be hours. The van won't start at all, so no heat. We finally found someone who said they'd do it in half an hour. We wait and wait... eventually a truck with Sanford's Towing pulls up. The only reason the name is important here is as we see the rusty truck approaching, this theme song is playing in my head:

Its about the caliber of equipment they're using. I half expect Sanford himself to step out, and when someone does step out, I find myself wishing for Sanford and his son instead.
A very broken and rough looking old man steps out. Quotes us over $100 to tow the van to the nearest city, which is about 5 miles away. We have no choice, really, but to go with it. We agree, and he walks back to his truck. We wait in the van for instructions. He slaps some chains on. And all the sudden we're diagonal, and then we're up.... and then he's going down the highway with us on the back of the truck, still in our vehicle(which I learned is illegal). I'm afraid to fart, for fear that any more wind will knock our van off of this half set up mess we're on... but we make it. Alive. To the middle of a McDonald's parking lot. "I'll send one of my boys over to look at the issue! See ya!" he says. So then we're stuck, very very dressed up, in a parking lot.

We walked over to a Dollar General. Bought a pair of shoes and a bag of socks. We're unsure where to go next. We just wander the outskirts of this rural Iowan town, unsure what to do. Sanford does send his 'boys'(who collectively have perhaps 27 teeth), who say "we're not sure, but it could be this, this, and this, and we'll fix all of this(for a hefty price)". We turn them down. Now what?

My husband starts looking for someone to haul the van to a reliable mechanic(which is what we'd hoped for in the first place). We find a guy in a town about 7 miles south of where we are, in a decent sized city. He was real sympathetic to our plight. Scheduled us right in for another tow. Towed us to his garage. Talked fondly of his customers(whom he knew by name, and a good bit about their personal lives). Offered to drop us off places(malls, restaurants), but we just were cold and wanted to sit somewhere. He let us sit in his office while he finished some of his other jobs. It was a typical garage office, wet, but it had a space heater. He had a leak; we emptied his bucket while he was away. My husband mopped his floor for him. Fox News blared in the background, but we were just thankful for the hospitality.

After a couple hours, he was able to get to our van. He tried various things. Hooked it up to various machines. Could'nt figure out what the problem was. "Well, hell, lets see if this helps." He emptied the bottom of a large gas can into the van. Cranked the keys. It started. Shut off again. "I'm going to get more gas!" He calls. He returns with a full can this time, and loads it in. This time, the van starts, and stays started. "It was out of gas!" he tells us.

The man we bought the van from failed to mention the gas gauge was broken. Hours being towed to and fro, sitting around in strange places(in unsuitable clothing), and it was something as miniscule as that.

I often mention to my husband that I feel my life is a practical joke, and Krishna is laughing at me(in a good natured sort of way). "Do you hear him laughing?" I ask him. "Yeah, I hear him."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Regardless of what was on his mind that was pretty rude of him.

That right there would be enough for me to tell him we'd be using somebody else.