• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking outside your Box

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It’s up to everyone to choose for themselves whichever path they desire. That is the way it has always been and will continue to be. That is everyone’s right and freedom.

I'm glad you think this way. It's apparent to me that not all Baha'i do.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm glad you think this way. It's apparent to me that not all Baha'i do.

Beware the niceties. In days past, I got this sort of thing, but 2 weeks later, in a further discussion, it was clear that this wasn't the case, if you read between the lines. There is a strategy of doing a lot of agreeing, just so the conversation will continue. It may or may not be purposeful. Some personalities have been programmed, so the purpose may be hidden.

But yes, the various Baha'i adherents on here do vary ... somewhat.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To be free from prejudice, to be free from disunity and ego, to be free from the promptings of the insistent self is true freedom from the box.

As I understand it, the box is our attachment to our own ideas, our own understandings, views and interpretations.

The only thing that sets us free I believe, is truth, and we have not all yet discovered it otherwise we would all be united, we would all have arrived at the same destination. For one truth can never contradict another truth.

If anyone ever comes up with some idea of 'truth' that fits everyone, I'll jump off a bridge. Of course all these 'truths' contradict each other.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
If anyone ever comes up with some idea of 'truth' that fits everyone, I'll jump off a bridge. Of course all these 'truths' contradict each other.

That’s the best way to be. To use your own mind and do your own research. Each of us has been given his/her own mind to investigate for themselves and you are doing that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That’s the best way to be. To use your own mind and do your own research. Each of us has been given his/her own mind to investigate for themselves and you are doing that.

But research should go outside your own box too. That means trying to avoid confirmation bias.

InvestigateTruth

What do you mean by truth?

Do you believe there are multiple truths, or the truth is one, or there is no truth?

Which one is it?

I have seen people who think, there is a truth, but no body knows the truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What do you mean by truth?

Do you believe there are multiple truths, or the truth is one, or there is no truth?

Which one is it?

I have seen people who think, there is a truth, but no body knows the truth.

None of the above. I have no meaning for 'truth'. The very idea is outside my box/paradigm. All I know about it is that it's a word that religious people use, as if it is some magic elixir to the secrets of life.

I googled it today, and tried to find definitive lists, but usually just hit various people giving their opinions, and the few I watched varied by a lot.

How about you? What do you think is? You must have some idea, as it's in your name.

Here's wiki's page on it. Religious views on truth - Wikipedia

InvestigateTruth

None of the above. I have no meaning for 'truth'. The very idea is outside my box/paradigm. All I know about it is that it's a word that religious people use, as if it is some magic elixir to the secrets of life.

I googled it today, and tried to find definitive lists, but usually just hit various people giving their opinions, and the few I watched varied by a lot.

How about you? What do you think is? You must have some idea, as it's in your name.

Here's wiki's page on it. Religious views on truth - Wikipedia
Religious truth is relative. Truth is not dead. Truth is living. There is no fixed truth. But truth is one, we can only know the relative truth, as revealed by the latest manifestation of God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Religious truth is relative. Truth is not dead. Truth is living. There is no fixed truth. But truth is one, we can only know the relative truth, as revealed by the latest manifestation of God.

Yes, this is typical of what I get ... vague meaningless answers about truth but no real specific stuff.

The Baha'i view wasn't in the wiki article, but your words correspond to all of the videos I watched of people explaining the truth, all from the various boxes they live in, and all of them convinced that theirs is the truth of all truths. Interesting psychological study. I suppose some people find great comfort in 'knowing' that they have found the truth. To think otherwise would be scary indeed. One would have to step outside.

But I'm glad I don't live in that paradigm.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
For Baha’is, we believe that the Manifestation of God is the Essence of all knowledge just like the sun is the essence of all light.

Those who disagree then sure by all means walk the path that you prefer. You go your way and I’ll very happily go mine.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
My box:

Virtues do not contradict. We are all responsible to virtues.

Vices are qualities of wickedness. There are degrees of such.

Virtues and vices are contrary to each other.

People should reserve all judgment til things are actual, tested and proven. No one knows a thing til they gain the experience.

Am I in a box? And why should I step out of it?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
51PwasvkuBL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That was the box. Here's the bag:

View attachment 45855
Where I grew up, we had a black cat, aptly named Black Cat, (big dominant male, tough as nails) and he liked to play. We'd make a hole in the bottom of the paper bag, hold it about 4 feet above him, and then wiggle our finger, or a pencil through the hole. He'd leap at the pencil, forgetting he was gong inside a bag. Commotion would ensue. Playful cats are so much joy.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We have two that like to eat the little chip crumbs at the bottom of the bag....and get stuck.

cat-gets-his-head-stuck-in-a-box-1.jpg (This isn't my cat, but its the same look.)