• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking outside your Box

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well I see Baha'u'llah has opened all boxes.

Thus the question remains, what Doctrine do you see restricts Baha'i thought.

I am happy to consider and discuss any you offer.

Regards Tony
No, that's okay.

Your OP created the impression that this thread was about hypocritically co-opting other religions in favour of yours. I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't doing this, but it sure seems you really were, and that you aren't willing to give your own religion the same scrutiny that you ask others to give to theirs.

ppp

No, that's okay.

Your OP created the impression that this thread was about hypocritically co-opting other religions in favour of yours. I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't doing this, but it sure seems you really were, and that you aren't willing to give your own religion the same scrutiny that you ask others to give to theirs.
Rather than addressing his deficit directly, his response will be an attempt at sage condescension where he will "grant" you permission to have your own path and your own dissenting opinion. He will also imply that you are "misguided," yet provide no substance to that implication. Pretty standard grift.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What precisely did Ibn Khaldun have to say about evolution?
Not a great deal, but he does seem to have had the general idea of progression from simple life to more complex, e.g. this passage from a Wiki article:
"Some of Ibn Khaldun's thoughts, according to some commentators, anticipate the biological theory of evolution.[26] Ibn Khaldun asserted that humans developed from "the world of the monkeys", in a process by which "species become more numerous" in Chapter 1 of the Muqaddimah:[26]

One should then take a look at the world of creation. It started out from the minerals and progressed, in an ingenious, gradual manner, to plants and animals. The last stage of minerals is connected with the first stage of plants, such as herbs and seedless plants. The last stage of plants, such as palms and vines, is connected with the first stage of animals, such as snails and shellfish which have only the power of touch. The word 'connection' with regard to these created things means that the last stage of each group is fully prepared to become the first stage of the newest group. The animal world then widens, its species become numerous, and, in a gradual process of creation, it finally leads to man, who is able to think and reflect. The higher stage of man is reached from the world of monkeys, in which both sagacity and perception are found, but which has not reached the stage of actual reflection and thinking. At this point we come to the first stage of man. This is as far as our (physical) observation extends.[23]:137–138

Notably, he does not say how each stage is "reached" from the previous one, i.e. no mechanism is suggested. It seems from the article that this may a somewhat more developed version of an idea that had been around in muslim scholarship since the c.10th.

Muffled

Jesus in me
This thread was inspired by comments in an OP saying prople are in a box, if they offer some Faiths may have some incorrect doctrine.

So the Question we should consider in this debate could be;

Would not Doctrine form its own Box?

Consider doctrines are formed to explain the unknown.

So what if many Doctrines are not correct, but were formed around an aspect that is correct.

How can we change, if we can not consider that we may have to change?

View attachment 45819

Regards Tony

I believe an out of the box concept requires evidence as much as one in the box. I never assume the ones in the box are correct.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Sometimes things are incorrect, Some may see that are correct, that is a fact of Life.

Like Jesus the man that walked this earth is not God. The doctrine that made Jesus God, has been the cause much suffering and rejection of other faiths, it needs to be addressed.

How Jesus may be all we can know of God is another matter.

Regards Tony

I believe the evidence is to the contrary. The doctrine is correct. On this one the only way toget out of the box is to deny the evidence which is nothing more than self delusion.

I believe God reveals Himself as He wills whether in Jesus or not.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Like this nonsense that all religions point to the "same truth." That's absolute and utter crap.
So it makes logical sense that there is more than one truth about God? If those "truths" contradict each other how can all of them be true? The atheist belief that none of the religions are true is just a cop-out.

Muffled

Jesus in me
So it makes logical sense that there is more than one truth about God? If those "truths" contradict each other how can all of them be true? The atheist belief that none of the religions are true is just a cop-out.

I believe some contradictions are only apparent contradictions like the verse in the Qu'ran that says that Jesus didn't die. It was quite apparent that Jesus was dead so how could the statement be true? I am glad I have the Holy Spirit to guide me to those answers.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I believe some contradictions are only apparent contradictions like the verse in the Qu'ran that says that Jesus didn't die. It was quite apparent that Jesus was dead so how could the statement be true? I am glad I have the Holy Spirit to guide me to those answers.

Muffled, you have not read the Quranic passage properly. It says "they did not kill him", it does not say "he did not die".

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And we should recognize this. :D

It may be the case we should.

There is a time for I,
There is a time for We,
But to Be, we must see,
That without an I,
there is no We, and
for an I to be,
there must be We.

For We to grow,
There must be union
For the union to flourish,
A bigger We must be.
To pull it all down,
At any time,
We becomes I.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, that's okay.

You say that's OK? Then yoy offer it was not OK. That's a box, I think! ;)

It was an easy question and I am happy to consider any thing you offer.

What Box do you see restricts a Baha'i thought. If you offer the Name, then we can discuss if that is a Box or not.

For Christianity, one could offer when Jesus says as Christ, there is no other Name to be saved, one could build a box around that Name.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe the evidence is to the contrary. The doctrine is correct. On this one the only way toget out of the box is to deny the evidence which is nothing more than self delusion.

I believe God reveals Himself as He wills whether in Jesus or not.

That is fine Muffled, I am happy for you and your strong Faith and to contain Jesus the Christ within doctrinal thought.

We can live together in peace with the way you see and I see Jesus as the Christ.

If the tine comes, we could discuss how Jesus is all we can know of God, that Jesus was the 'Self of God', without being God.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe I find that people who do not wish to listen to reason tend to bug off.

The hardest lesson I have found in life is we are a reflection of what we do not like in others. This is a hard lesson to learn, if we see bad in another, that bad is still in our own being.

I see that is why we are asked to see naught but good in all people and why Jesus the Christ looked for good in all people. We become what we look for.

Regards Tony

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You say that's OK? Then yoy offer it was not OK. That's a box, I think! ;)
That was me declining to discuss this with you further, because I don't want to be proselytized to.

When I said "that's okay," I meant that I've satisfied myself that you created this thread to proselytize for your religion, so I decline from continuing a discussion that seems like it wouldn't be worth my time or effort.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It may be the case we should.

There is a time for I,
There is a time for We,
But to Be, we must see,
That without an I,
there is no We, and
for an I to be,
there must be We.

For We to grow,
There must be union
For the union to flourish,
A bigger We must be.
To pull it all down,
At any time,
We becomes I.

Regards Tony

Cute poem.

But the first stanza kind falls apart at the end, especially in my worldview.

The second stanza sounds like something inspired by the Crusades.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That was me declining to discuss this with you further, because I don't want to be proselytized to.

When I said "that's okay," I meant that I've satisfied myself that you created this thread to proselytize for your religion, so I decline from continuing a discussion that seems like it wouldn't be worth my time or effort.

If you put me in that Box, I am can accept that.

I would ask though, Is that you thinking outside a box?

Why do you see that me saying we need to look outside our boxes has anything to do with me?

Then one can also consider why they would have made comments in the first place, the post must have sparked an aspect one does not like to see in their own self.

Regards Tony