• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for sources -- Sh'mot 11:1

rosends

The verse reads that Par'oh will
יְשַׁלַּ֥ח אֶתְכֶ֖ם מִזֶּ֑ה כְּשַׁ֨לְּח֔וֹ כָּלָ֕ה גָּרֵ֛שׁ יְגָרֵ֥שׁ אֶתְכֶ֖ם מִזֶּֽה

and this is traditionally is translated as (the Sefaria site has)
"after that he shall let you go from here; indeed, when he lets you go, he will drive you out of here one and all"

This follows Rashi/Onkelos's understanding of kalah as "completely"
"Heb. כָּלָה [Onkelos renders: גְמִירָא. כָּלָה is therefore the equivalent of] כָּלִיל, complete. [I.e.,] He will let all of you out"

I am looking to write up an explanation which sees the use of the words "sh-l-ch, k-l-h and g-r-sh" as referring to a divorce to describe how Par'oh will send the people out. I checked through the commentaries listed at sefaria.org and no one seems to say that. Has anyone seen any other sources which explore this possibility?

TIA

Tumah

Veteran Member
I couldn't find anything. it might have to do with it being spelled with a kamatz instead of a pasach under the peh.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Very nice! The note at the end was interesting as well. But what about psukim like אחותי כלה from Shir HaShirim or קול חתן וקול כלה from Yirmiyahu? Why would it make sense to introduce the father-in-law's point of view?