• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for sources -- Aharon vs. his sons

rosends

Both Aharon and his sons (Nadav and Avihu) do something not commanded by God (the latter, in Sh'mini, Vayikra, 10:1-2 and the former, in 10:16-20). I know that the specifics are different but in each case, someone from that family used his own thinking and came to a conclusion which seemed to fly in the face with what hashem wanted.

Does anyone know of any resources which compare the two events and discuss them together, making comparisons and exploring differences?

TIA

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm not really sure that they're comparable. Nadav and Avihu came up with their own idea about what they should do. Aharon the halachos of oninus and that he wasn't supposed to eat from it, so he had to burn it. Meaning in that case, it was Moshe that made the mistake, not Ahron who came to his own conclusion. The Sifri counts this as one of three times that Moshe got angry and made a mistake because of it.

rosends

I'm not really sure that they're comparable. Nadav and Avihu came up with their own idea about what they should do. Aharon the halachos of oninus and that he wasn't supposed to eat from it, so he had to burn it. Meaning in that case, it was Moshe that made the mistake, not Ahron who came to his own conclusion. The Sifri counts this as one of three times that Moshe got angry and made a mistake because of it.
Understood but in each case, the family of Aharon came up with a logical deduction which flew in the face of what they had been taught (though I have o find the sources that say that Nadav and Avihu weren't being intentionally impudent). Aharon has the chance to explain his logic (as he can at cheit ha'eigel) but Nadav and avihu can't. I'm looking for sources that connect them.

rosends

If you look at the Sforno https://www.sefaria.org/Leviticus.10.1?lang=bi&with=Sforno&lang2=en it appears that they were using their logical method to understand their obligation. Aharon does the same thing but he is given a chance to explain. They aren't, so they can never learn that their deductive method was wrong. Now, one could say that the fact that they were consumed by a divine fire is proof that they were wrong, but it just seems strange that their independent thinking (supported by some sort of reasoning process if we stay away from the whole "drunk" line of thought) is given any chance but Aharon's is.

Tumah

Veteran Member
If you look at the Sforno Leviticus 10:1 it appears that they were using their logical method to understand their obligation. Aharon does the same thing but he is given a chance to explain. They aren't, so they can never learn that their deductive method was wrong. Now, one could say that the fact that they were consumed by a divine fire is proof that they were wrong, but it just seems strange that their independent thinking (supported by some sort of reasoning process if we stay away from the whole "drunk" line of thought) is given any chance but Aharon's is.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying but the difference is that they were relying on themselves to wrongly extrapolate the correct action, while Ahron correctly extrapolated (or reiterated) the correct action. The part about their having a chance to explain their actions to Moshe or not, doesn't seem to be relevant. Moshe wasn't the one who punished them. Hashem didn't punish Ahron because he was correct. He punished Nadiv and Avihu because they were incorrect (or because He chose them as the fulfillment of בקדושי אתקדש, etc.). In the case of Ahron, Moshe was the one that was in the wrong. In the case of Nadiv and Avihu, they were.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Both Aharon and his sons (Nadav and Avihu) do something not commanded by God (the latter, in Sh'mini, Vayikra, 10:1-2 and the former, in 10:16-20). I know that the specifics are different but in each case, someone from that family used his own thinking and came to a conclusion which seemed to fly in the face with what hashem wanted.

Does anyone know of any resources which compare the two events and discuss them together, making comparisons and exploring differences?

TIA
Yes, RR, but how do we really know what G-d wanted ? Only the Computer Simulator knows that !!