• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for discussion

ckoel

I recently enrolled in a class where I was asked to seek out a worldview different than my own and try to learn about it. I have 4 questions that should be answered. If interested, let me know.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I recently enrolled in a class where I was asked to seek out a worldview different than my own and try to learn about it. I have 4 questions that should be answered. If interested, let me know.
Welcome to RF,
I think you may have accidentally put the cart ahead of the horse, post your questions and all the interested people will reply to you :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Shoot.....:D

ckoel

I guess I should have started with my own worldview. I am a Christian. With that said these are the four questions.

1. The question of origin. How does your belief define where we came from?

2. The question of meaning. What is the meaning of life according to your worldview?

3. The question of morality. What does your worldview say about moral truth?

4. The question of destiny. What happens after death according to your worldview?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

We are all "drops" from a Divine "ocean" in essence part of that ocean while apparently being separate from it.

2. The question of meaning. What is the meaning of life according to your worldview?

The meaning and goal of life is to be united with God through love.

Human morality varies with individuals and cultures. Divine morality is unchanging and is based on the law of Love. (Christians know this as the two "greatest commandments")

4. The question of destiny. What happens after death according to your worldview?

For the vast majority, we go to the astral plane where we review our past lives. Lives that are on balance positive result in the satisfaction and happiness that is called heaven. Negative lives result in unhappiness that is called hell. Neither are eternal. Once the lesson of the life just lived has been absorbed and experienced, we are reborn in new bodies to continue our journey to God.

idea

Question Everything
I guess I should have started with my own worldview. I am a Christian. With that said these are the four questions.

What a fun project! Is this just for school, or are you interested in expanding your own viewpoints?

I am agnostic, tending to a Unitarian /Taoist view.

There is no beginning, for any of it. No end, and no beginning. We did not come from anywhere, we have always existed.
The Beginning. by Brig Klyce

To find harmony and connection.

Yin and yang in everyone and everything.

I do not know, and it is fine not to know. The present moment is all we have... Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.

idea

Question Everything
Once the lesson of the life just lived has been absorbed and experienced, we are reborn in new bodies to continue our journey to God.

Love that. The ultimate experience of love, to walk a mile in another's shoes.

Skwim

Veteran Member
By "belief" I assume you mean religious belief. If so, as an atheist I finding no better source than science, and the best science has to offer is evolution rooted in abiogenesis.

There is none.

That they are intrinsically obvious. Moral truths such as; Human suffering is bad. Torturing human babies for personal pleasure is wrong. Deception that is likely to bring more harm than benefits is bad. Being kind to others is good

The worms crawl in the worms crawl out. . . .

danieldemol

Premium Member
Well I am a liberal, as there is no orthodoxy in liberalism I can’t speak for all liberals, only myself. My answers are as follows

I believe we evolved from other living creatures.

I’m not sure I understand your question, if you mean what is the purpose of life then I believe it is to develop virtues.

Morals have developed with the passage of time, and modern morals/virtues are better in my opinion than what passed for morality in the earlier stages of human development when most of the scriptures where written.

After death those who developed virtues in this life find all the powers of their spirit to be functional, whilst those who failed to develop virtue find themselves spiritually handicapped until such time as the mercy of God completes them. I am of the belief that the spirit lives independently of the body at death.

Kind regards :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

I am a Christian too but my beliefs will be very different to yours. I was raised in Christendom so I will give you the contrast between what I believed then to what I believe now as one of Jehovah's Witnesses...

Since I glean all my beliefs from the Bible, it simply says in Genesis 1:1 that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth".
Since I was raised to believe that the "days" in genesis were 24 hour periods, it always seemed to me that God was just a big magician in the sky waving his magic wand and creating everything with a word.

But I came to realize that science has grounds for believing that the earth and the universe are ancient, so I was left to ponder whether I should give up God or science. I was torn. But when I studied the Bible (rather than just reading random verses) I saw clearly that both science and the Bible agree....they have to, since they have the same author.

In my studies I found out that the Genesis "days" were not 24 hour periods, but eons of time, allowing for the slow and progressive creation of all lifeforms on this carefully prepared planet. Science may call this evolution but this is not the way it happened. None of it was accidental.
God is not bound by earth time, nor is he a magician....he is a Creator...one who has used his creative abilities and immense power to craft the earth and every creature on it to his satisfaction. Each of the Genesis "days" ended with a declaration of his satisfaction thus far....all except one.

In my belief, I came to realize that God created the earth to be inhabited with all kinds of life....In my former view there didn't seem to be a purpose to this life....more focus was put on going to heaven and personal salvation. They said that Jesus came to die for us but no one seemed to know why he had to do that. Or why we were going to heaven. No one knew what we were going to do there. It didn't make a lot of sense.

I came to understand that humans alone were endowed with God's qualities and attributes because he assigned them to be caretakers of his earthly creation. They were given everlasting life and an assignment that should have been a joy for them, but a spirit rebel derailed God's purpose, forcing him to take a detour. But the Bible says that all will eventually return to God's original purpose as it was in Eden. What God starts, he finishes. (Isaiah 55:11) I always wondered why I didn't want to go to heaven.....now I understand why. God created us to live in paradise here on earth.

Morality is something that humans alone possess. I have always believed that this sense came from God. It comes from being created in God's image and likeness. We have an inner sense of what is right but our faculty of conscience has to be trained from infancy to distinguish between right and wrong....good and evil. The best way to do that of course is to listen to our Creator who knows us better than we know ourselves. Our first parents should have trusted God and obeyed him, and they would still be here with us today. The only cause of death in Eden was disobedience. No disobedience would have meant no death....ever. No sin would have meant living forever in peace and security with no evil entering the world and no one destroying our planet through greed and corruption.

I used to believe that all good Christians would go to heaven, but I came to realize that this was never in God's original purpose.
The truth is....if man had simply obeyed God, they never would have died and Christ would never have been needed to act as our savior and giving his life for us.
There would have been no need for God's Kingdom to "come" because God's will would have been "done on earth as it is in heaven" forever.

When sentencing Adam for his sin God said...“...Because you listened to your wife’s voice and ate from the tree concerning which I gave you this command, ‘You must not eat from it,’ cursed is the ground on your account. In pain you will eat its produce all the days of your life. 18 It will grow thorns and thistles for you, and you must eat the vegetation of the field. 19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return." (Genesis 3:17-19)

There is no mention of heaven or hell.....just life or death. Adam was to return to the dust of the earth from which he had been created.
If there was a hell of torment awaiting him for his disobedience, then God was remiss for failing to warn him of the consequences of his actions.

According to the Bible, God has chosen a relative "few" to join Christ in heaven as 'kings and priests' during his 1,000 year reign, (Revelation 20:6) but they will have subjects on earth. Some will survive the end of this present age, but the majority will be restored to life through a resurrection on earth as Jesus promised. (John 5:28-29) He will call all the dead from their graves.

That is how I would answer your questions.

All the best.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Hello. Starting with the easy stuff eh? I'm not big on dogma or certainty, but here goes...

1. I'm guessing you aren't looking for "brought into being by parents." We are each a tiny, brief process/manifestation within the universe.
2. Meaning is constructed.
3. It's very important.
4. Tricky thing, time. Death is the permanent cessation of personal consciousness, so for the person themselves death is the end. The body remains a part of the universe. I'd like mine to be eaten by snow leopards, but that's just the romantic in me.

Thank you for making me think.

Heyo

Veteran Member

From our parents.
But I guess that isn't what you are looking for.
I have no belief about my origin. I accept the answers science is giving us and where science fails, I think we should simply accept that we don't know and not make stuff up.

Or, in other words, I don't know what you mean by meaning. A word or a sentence have meaning. Life simply is.
Truth, including moral truth, is what can be shown to be true. And if you can't show it, you don't know it.
For all we know, there is no destiny. The universe works according to deterministic laws only on the macro scale. On a fundamental (quantum scale) level it is probabilistic. And those quantum fluctuation can have influences in the grand scheme as in any chaotic system.

I'm an Agnostic (Huxleyan). I.e. I focus on what we know or don't know.
My answers may seem to you a bit like solipsism but that is due to the selection of questions. We do know quite a bit. But we should acknowledge when we don't.

Nimos

Im an atheist.

I have no clue where we came from, I assume that we, as all over life is a byproduct of what the Universe is capable of doing, if the conditions are right.

Depending on what you mean with "meaning of life" I tend to split that into 3 categories.

a. Universal meaning of life
Which is related to why or how there is a need for life in the Universe to begin with. Could there be a purpose to it? This is purely speculative and is where I would place God(s) and all sorts of other theories.

b. Biological meaning of life
Is more related to why there are life on Earth, how did it begin or did it come here from somewhere else. And in general the process of life and why we seem to have an urge for survival etc. This is mainly what the scientific community is working at.

c. Personal meaning with life
Covers a more individual meaning of life from a human perspective. And since we are not sure at this point of the answers to a and b. The ultimately meaning of life for each human regardless of who they are, is to achieve happiness, in whatever way possible.
For most people this can be done, without hurting anyone else in the process, whereas some achieve it, through hurting or not caring who in the process have to suffer at their expense. But regardless of that, I see no other of why anyone would thrive towards anything else, as their ultimately meaning with life.

There is no such thing as moral truth, it is all subjective and changes over time, based on what we as group (species) believe ought to be right.

Nothing, we stop to exist and that is it. I think the question, could just as well be to ask what is going to happen to a Pig after it have been slaughtered and end up in the cooling desk. We are animals, just like they are, so if it doesn't go anywhere, I see no reason for why we should.

ckoel

What a fun project! Is this just for school, or are you interested in expanding your own viewpoints?

I am agnostic, tending to a Unitarian /Taoist view.

There is no beginning, for any of it. No end, and no beginning. We did not come from anywhere, we have always existed.
The Beginning. by Brig Klyce

To find harmony and connection.

Yin and yang in everyone and everything.

I do not know, and it is fine not to know. The present moment is all we have... Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.

It is for classes in Apologetics I am taking. The basic premise is that every worldview must answer those 4 questions to be a complete system.

Further I want to thank everyone for participating. I will be summarizing some of the answers. There is so much here I want to debate but in keeping with my assignment I am only listening to what you all have said. Thanks again!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Not sure. I tend to go with what science seems to show. As in, we have evolved from the earliest life on Earth to stand where we are now - alongside much other life and many species being rather close cousins of ours. Not sure how life started or if it came from elsewhere. Not that it matters to me, and we might be just one inhabited planet out of millions for all I know. No idea how the universe came into existence and that hardly matters to me either.

For those of us without any religious or spiritual beliefs (myself included), I suspect we make our own meaning from what our experiences seem to show us or perhaps we choose some meaning that has particular value for us. Personally, I don't see any overall meaning to life apart from the drive to reproduce, but I choose to believe that humans, having evolved to where we currently are, should grasp that we can be better than we seem to be and that any future life depends upon this. Having a variety of beliefs pulling in different directions seems to thwart this possible ambition.

I think it more than likely that morality has evolved in the human species from our forming large social groups, and evidence from other species in addition to anthropological studies seems to confirm this. I doubt such things as objective morality since that seems to depend upon some higher power which I am rather doubtful of, although I wouldn't discount it.

Our life ends, along with any consciousness, and our bodies are recycled as all matter seems to do. Memories will linger on of our existence, depending upon what kind of impact we made during our lives, but apart from that we will essentially be gone from existence.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member

I am a philosophical Taoist/non-religious Christian. So I do not believe we humans possess the ability/capacity to answer any of these questions. And further, I believe that it would be dishonest for us to presume that we do possess such an ability. However, I also do not believe that it's necessary that we be able to answer these questions in order to fulfill our purpose in the Great Mystery. As humans, we do possess the ability to recognize the 'flow of being' (the tao) as we are inhabiting it, and as it inhabits us. So that if we will choose not to struggle against it, we will spontaneously fulfill our purpose within it without having to know what that purpose is, or how well we have done so.

Through honesty, humility, and spontaneity, we can align ourselves with the Tao, and thereby fulfill our purpose without having to understand it, control it, or pass judgment on it.

"Every being in the universe
is an expression of the Tao.
It springs into existence,
unconscious, perfect, free,
takes on a physical body,
lets circumstances complete it.
That is why every form of being
spontaneously honors the Tao."

"The Tao gives birth to all beings,
nourishes them, maintains them,
cares for them, comforts them, protects them,
takes them back to itself,
creating without possessing,
acting without expecting,
guiding without interfering.
That is why love of the Tao
is in the very nature of things."

- from the Tao Te Ching​

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

While you're here, join us for breakfast (for free if you don't get caught) in the staff cafeteria.
hqdefault.jpg

Sorry....I googled "fancy feast", & got this.
Next time, I'll try "sumptuous feast" for better results...I hope.