• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for computer advice.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I have a chance to pick up a new Lenovo desktop for under $600.

The basic configuration
HD 2TB

Memory 12 GB

Core i5 3.0 GHz

Optical Drive Class DVD±RW

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7450 1GB

Six USB ports 4: 2.0 and 2: 3.0

KB and mouse

No monitor

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (upgrade to Win 8 for $15)
Worth it or not?

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I have a chance to pick up a new Lenovo desktop for under $600.

The basic configuration
HD 2T

Memory 12 GB

Core i5 3.0 GHz

Optical Drive Class DVD±RW

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7450 1GB

Six USB ports 4: 2.0 and 2: 3.0

KB and mouse

No monitor

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (upgrade to Win 8 for $15)
Worth it or not?
Honestly, I'm always leery of the "good deal" with computers. Having working on a lot of computers, they tend to be the ones that were "good deals."

However, looking at just the configuration, I would think that it isn't a bad investment.

I would suggest scraping Windows though and using a version of Linux.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Honestly, I'm always leery of the "good deal" with computers. Having working on a lot of computers, they tend to be the ones that were "good deals."

However, looking at just the configuration, I would think that it isn't a bad investment.

I would suggest scraping Windows though and using a version of Linux.
Thanks for the reply.

I've heard that Linux is very good, but in my situation (not real computer savvy) I rely on the advice of others around me, all of whom use Windows. So if I have a Windows issue invariably they're able to help. I'm afraid that with Linux I'd be in deeper water.

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess
Worth it or not?

Not bad for the price, it’ll be fine for most tasks although you’d want a better graphics card if you’re thinking of playing high end games on it.

Not that it matters much (unless it’s really terrible) but you didn’t mention the hard drive in the OP.

Skwim

Veteran Member
not bad for the price, it’ll be fine for most tasks although you’d want a better graphics card if you’re thinking of playing high end games on it.

Not that it matters much (unless it’s really terrible) but you didn’t mention the hard drive in the op.
2tb

Last edited:

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess
2TB is all I know.

I suspect 2TB will be enough lol.

What would you suggest for a graphics card?

First of all, you need to know what the computers power supply puts out (in watts). No point in putting a bigger graphics card in there if your PSU can’t put out the juice needed to keep it going. If it turns out you’d need it, you shouldn’t be spending more than $50-$100 on it.

As for the graphics card itself, it depends on how much you’re willing to shell out for it. The Tom’s hardware site maintains a list of recommended cards within various budgets.