• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a source

rosends

I don't have a library (mine or any other) readily available so I'm hoping someone still has access to books and can look something up for me.

I vaguely recall the idea that, if we daven outside for Birchat hachama, we don't bow during Aleinu. It seems like the kind of thing that would be in the Artscroll special text for the day, but I don't have one handy.

If anyone can look up this claim and help me see its source, I would appreciate it.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's a doc from the last Birkat Hachama - מציג PDF -

In it, it says:

upload_2020-3-24_15-57-7.png

"There are those that don't say aleinu leshabeach, and those that do, should bow sideways, so as to not turn towards the sun."

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
I don't have a library (mine or any other) readily available so I'm hoping someone still has access to books and can look something up for me.

I vaguely recall the idea that, if we daven outside for Birchat hachama, we don't bow during Aleinu. It seems like the kind of thing that would be in the Artscroll special text for the day, but I don't have one handy.

If anyone can look up this claim and help me see its source, I would appreciate it.[/QUOT

If anyone can look up this claim and help me see its source, I would appreciate it.
I don’t have a library either, so lets use our common sense? More important than kneeling is probably covering your eyes.

@jay - agreed ?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
covering your eyes.

this reminds me...

Question: is it true that Jews aren't supposed to pray with our eyes closed, even with the Shema we cover them, but not close them?

I feel like I heard this somewhere, has any one else heard of it or know its source?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
this reminds me...

Question: is it true that Jews aren't supposed to pray with our eyes closed, even with the Shema we cover them, but not close them?

I feel like I heard this somewhere, has any one else heard of it or know its source?
I've never heard of this...@rosends, @Tumah anything?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Jake1001,

What does your common sense tell you? Pray with a siddur looking at the words for accuracy, or from memory and allow oneself to focus on the meaning and emotions of the words at risk of making mistakes and saying the wrong words by accident?

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
@Jake1001,

What does your common sense tell you? Pray with a siddur looking at the words for accuracy, or from memory and allow oneself to focus on the meaning and emotions of the words at risk of making mistakes and saying the wrong words by accident?
Hi dyb, as an RJ I say anything goes. I usually hold my prayer book upside down so the congregant next to me can’t cheat and read my exam solutions !