• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a source (crosspost)

rosends

I read the following statement on the Chabad.org website:

"The Talmud (Ketubot 103a) relates that even after his passing, for a time, Rabbi Judah would still visit his home every Friday evening at dusk. Wearing Shabbat clothes, he would recite the Kiddush, and thereby discharge his family members from their obligation to hear Kiddush."

I saw a similar claim on the Jewish Press website:

"And so we are told that each Friday night when Boi B’shalom was recited, he would return home, sit at the Friday night table and say Kiddush for his family."

I looked up Ketubot 103a and found

כל בי שמשי הוה אתי לביתיה ההוא בי שמשא אתאי שבבתא קא קריה אבבא אמרה אמתיה שתיקו דרבי יתיב

and this is the English I found:

Every week, when Shabbos entered, Rebbi returned to his house.

Once, a neighbor called on the porch and Rebbi's slave asked her to be quiet, lest she disturb Rebbi.

---------
On the same dafyomi site, under the "full review" there is

"Rebbi also commanded his sons to make sure that a lamp would always be lit, the table laid and the bed (or the couch) made at dusk (of Erev Shabbos), because he initially used to arrive at his house then and to recite Kidush on behalf of his household (even though strictly speaking, he was no longer alive)."

-------
I looked in Rashi and Tos'fot and saw nothing which would add in the whole "say kiddush" part - Rashi explains bei shimshei as the onset of Shabbat but that's it. It just seems to be that he visited his house.

So:
1. From where do we learn that he said kiddush
2. From where do we learn that he said it to "discharge his family members from their obligation to hear Kiddush"
3. How can a dead person (who is not obligated in mitzvot like kiddush) discharge the obligation of others?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
From where do we learn that he said kiddush
Tzadikim

Rabbi Judah ben Samuel of Regensburg relates in Sefer Hasidim §1129. (Cf. Ketubot 103a) that the spirit of Rebbi Judah used to visit his home, wearing Shabbat clothes, every Friday evening at dusk. He would recite Kiddush, and others would thereby discharge their obligation to hear Kiddush. One Friday night there was a knock at the door. "Sorry," said the maid, "I can't let you in just now because Rabbeinu HaKadosh is in the middle of Kiddush." From then on Judah stopped coming, since he did not want his coming to become public knowledge.

rosends

Tzadikim

Rabbi Judah ben Samuel of Regensburg relates in Sefer Hasidim §1129. (Cf. Ketubot 103a) that the spirit of Rebbi Judah used to visit his home, wearing Shabbat clothes, every Friday evening at dusk. He would recite Kiddush, and others would thereby discharge their obligation to hear Kiddush. One Friday night there was a knock at the door. "Sorry," said the maid, "I can't let you in just now because Rabbeinu HaKadosh is in the middle of Kiddush." From then on Judah stopped coming, since he did not want his coming to become public knowledge.
Thank you for this -- it just begs the question as to what Rabbi Judah's source is.
upload_2022-12-9_10-0-56.png

ספר חסידים - יהודה בן שמואל, החסיד, 1146-1217 (page 219 of 228)

The highlighted section is the relevant part, stating that (loose translation mine)

Rebbi would appear in lovely clothing that was his shabbat clothing (not in his burial cloths) to indicate his continued strength, and exempt many of their obligation in sanctifying the day [through saying kiddush]; and this is not the case regardingother dead people who are free of the mitzvot...the dead who appear in the clothes they wore when alive are called 'alive' and can exempt others of their obligation to say kiddush

but this
a) introduces ideas not in the source (talmud) text, so from where do they develop?
b) claims that the dead, if they are considered as alive based on their clothing, can exempt actual living people -- is this a corroborated halachic claim?

-note----
the Peirush Azulai presents some sources which I haven't started tracking down, but they don't seem to be precisely addressing my concerns

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
What does the long abbreviation in the last line mean? (not the b'ezras hashem isboroch, the one before Hakol)
I think it's supposed to be ולפי מה שנתבאר, 'and according to what was explained'.