• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a... Mentor of Sorts

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Since I've joined this forum I have really enjoyed being here, but my largest reason to join RF was to develop an understanding of the ideas of many religions. Now I've seen the overviews and I've read them, and they don't always clarify it for me.

Now my biggest goal is just to explore religion and take it all in from a viewpoint that is as unbiased as I can be. Now I'm rather young as well, I am only 15, and I try to contribute what I know the forum.

However, I am still exploring, and I was hoping if someone who knows the general ideas of a variety of religions would be able to take me under their wing, so to speak, and inform me about these things. To have really complex belief systems broken down in one-on-one conversation really helps me understand it as opposed to reading an article.

If someone could help me understand these things then I will be extremely thankful. So please, if you're interested don't hesitate to post here.

Mustard Seed

Jack of all trades... :)
A word of caution to you my friend.....
If you take on a mentor be careful who you choose and investigate before hand. There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion.
I understand what you are trying to do but in my opinion I think you would be better to just post your questions to each religion in they're own threads. Do the research on your own so to speak with members who actually believe in that particular belief in which you are questioning.
You will get a far better understanding in this way. Going by one man/woman's point of view is very dangerous indeed.
Also a person who is not a member of that particular belief system in which you are questioning....can never truley understand and will not be able to answer some of those hard questions that will surely arise.
Again, keep reading, exploring and asking but do not limit yourself to one person's scope. This is the best piece of advice I can give you.....

Thank you, darnell.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
I guess you are correct, but I just feel I'll become a bit annoying with a thread full of my questions in every single subforum.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
For every question you ask, there are a dozen or so members who read and learn something for it! I don't think that's annoying at all!

Mustard Seed

I guess you are correct, but I just feel I'll become a bit annoying with a thread full of my questions in every single subforum.

If i were you....I would just tackle one religion at a time. If you do it objectively and come with an open mind (meaning not negative or attacking) then the questions you seek will be given or atleast a better understanding on your part.
Also I would'nt post your questions in the "debate" section, as you are wanting to learn...this is not the best avenue. In my opinion anyways, I would place them in that particular religion (beliefs) forum. In the debate section, your questions are more likely to get sidelined.
I am new here myself and find that the people on this forum are great to talk too and are very helpful. If you come with your questions with respect....they will be answered with respect. Does'nt matter how many you have....its what most of us are here for! :)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I was re-reading my reply, and I realized I may have come off as sounding like I didn't care. I'm sorry if that was the case!

I admire your search. :hug:

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Haha, oddly enough I felt that you cared strongly after your first post with good use of just a few words. :p I almost replied to it, but just made a mental note.

Mustard Seed

Haha, oddly enough I felt that you cared strongly after your first post with good use of just a few words. :p I almost replied to it, but just made a mental note.

lol....yes I tend to to talk alot sometimes. Feathers in Hair did sum up what I said, very nicely! :)
Actually I was replying to your post, when she had come and gone....:D I should take notes....it would make my time management easier. :)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
And I know that there are lots of people here that LOVE to answer questions :) Myself included

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
If you want to learn about a paticular religion, it's best to go to the source. Don't turn to an Atheist to learn about Catholics, or to a Baptist to learn about Mormons. Just take it one religion at a time. I'm going through the same process myself trying to catch up with everyone else here, and I'm 33. I'm so far behind. Once you've read through a section and asked all your questions and still want to learn more, you might want to start reading books on the subject. They go much more into depth. There are also tons of websites dedicated to whatever beliefs you are looking into. Wait until you've found a belief that you really like to find a mentor.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Since I've joined this forum I have really enjoyed being here, but my largest reason to join RF was to develop an understanding of the ideas of many religions. Now I've seen the overviews and I've read them, and they don't always clarify it for me.

Now my biggest goal is just to explore religion and take it all in from a viewpoint that is as unbiased as I can be. Now I'm rather young as well, I am only 15, and I try to contribute what I know the forum.

However, I am still exploring, and I was hoping if someone who knows the general ideas of a variety of religions would be able to take me under their wing, so to speak, and inform me about these things. To have really complex belief systems broken down in one-on-one conversation really helps me understand it as opposed to reading an article.

If someone could help me understand these things then I will be extremely thankful. So please, if you're interested don't hesitate to post here.
Hi, Jistyr. I think I can see what you're looking for, but I would have to agree with DaddyHolland that you need to be careful who you choose as a mentor, and with Kungfuzed that you're probably going to get your most accurate information on any religion from someone who practices it. As a Latter-day Saint, I could have studied Catholicism for years, but would not be able to convey to you the Catholic message as well as Victor and RunwiththeWind could, since they are both Catholic and therefore see things through Catholic eyes.

My suggestion would be that you maybe engage in one-on-one discussion with a member of each religion you wish to know more about as opposed to trying to find one person who can give you an unbiased view of all religions.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Well then I would like to meet up with someone in the chatroom. Would that work with you Katzpur? Kinda like an interview your religion or something.

And that request isn't just to Katzpur. Could anyone else talk to me one-on-one about their religion?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you have questions, feel free to PM me or contact me via AIM or YIM.
As far as being a mentor, I do not feel qualified to take that position.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well then I would like to meet up with someone in the chatroom. Would that work with you Katzpur? Kinda like an interview your religion or something.
Sure, I'd be happy to, but I'm not sure the chatroom is the best place. Sometimes it's not easy to say thing in really brief answers. We could have a one-on-one debate which would really just be an interview and not a debate. When are you generally online? If we were to be online at the same time, you could see my answers and reply back with more questions, and there wouldn't be any long delays.

BFD_Zayl

if it were possible to pull of a slight bow, I woulda done it here. as others have said, when seeking a mentor it is best to examine all options, as much as is legally possible, before willing to undergo their mentoring. that being said, If you ever need to have anything answered, or if you are just seeking my opinion or advice. all you need to do is ask, and I shall comply. PM me or E-mail me if you wish to be discreet.