• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

looking for a good book

almifkhar

i am looking for a book and hopefully some one here can direct me to a good one.

what i am looking for in paticular is an ancient view of this path in paticular the structure of the gods, devils, spirits, fallen ones, what ever they are called.

exAmple,

i once read that satan is not the head of the hierarchy but beelzebub is. who is this beelzebub?

i am not one bit interested in anything new age. i am interested in a classic.

Ðanisty

Good luck finding one. Any such books that would have been written in that time period have likely been destroyed by the churches.

Dr. Nosophoros

It is widely believed that the Persian clergy invented the origional Idea of a cosmic bad guy to punish political enemies, Zoroastrian beliefs had dualism (good vs. Evil) in it and the head honcho of heiniousness was Ahriman. Judaism doesn't seem to have any idea of a "satan" before the persian domination (which of course as cultures clash or are imposed, beliefs are sometimes assimilated- including religious ones) I'd say if you are looking to find a good book or place to start, start with Persian mythology and culture, move to Judaism, then go on to Judeo-Christian European ideas on the matter. They all have Hierarcy according to their culture. Personally I find it interesting from the historical viewpoint and to see how ideas are assimilated and changed , but other than that nothing more than fairy stories.

You might look to the Yezedis as well.

Here's the Persian demon Pazuzu standing in for Satan in "The Exorcist"

exorcist.jpg

Here's Mickey Mouse

Misc_Mickey_Mouse_as_Wizard.gif

almifkhar

thanks folks.

but if anyone hears of a classic, pm me because i am real interested.

dr. nos. one thing i have learned along the research path is that life is not what it seems. at this point, on the fact or tale tip, i cannot rule anything out yet.

again thanks for the info and tips for searching.