• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a faith.

Chickie17

Hi. I am a young woman. My father is an atheist, my mother is an atheist/agnostic, and my brother rejects religion entirely. I go to a panreligious church that welcomes all ideas, but seem to be mainly various flavors of atheist and pagan.

I have always felt a pull toward the spiritual. I came to recognize this as the essence of a deity, who is pure experience, beauty, and meaning, in existence, whose essence also binds us all to ourselves and sustains us. We are a part of it, but an impure part. We do not take the form or have the sheer power of this deity because of the rejection of basic beauty and purity in our world. However, our world still is filled with divinity and beauty as an intrinsic part of it.

My question is, did I create my own religion, or can I join another? Is there a religion that would allow me my interpretation of this God as long as it fit within its context?

I would rather have a religion due to the acceptance, community, and routines it brings. With rituals and services, I have a concrete way of feeling close to spirituality.

Please do not use this as an excuse to proselytize unless you really think I could be a religion.

(I think I am a "panentheist", variants of which are in Sikhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.)

Jumi

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well...
1. I have always felt a pull toward the spiritual. I came to recognize this as the essence of a deity, who is pure experience, beauty, and meaning, in existence, whose essence also binds us all to ourselves and sustains us.

2. We are a part of it, but an impure part. We do not take the form or have the sheer power of this deity because of the rejection of basic beauty and purity in our world. However, our world still is filled with divinity and beauty as an intrinsic part of it.

1. Many types of paganisms that embrace pantheism and animism goes with this. Wicca and its like variants. Druid (probably if not corrected). Then you have UU that lets you believe in a eclectic vary that calls to you without defining your faith as X or Y.

2. (The impure part) This sounds mushed with Christianity "we are sinful at heart" or Buddhism "our minds are dellusioned".

Both do not single out the beauty of creation and so on. They just have different perspectives in seeing it in relation to their core tenants of their faith.

I would rather have a religion due to the acceptance, community, and routines it brings. With rituals and services, I have a concrete way of feeling close to spirituality

I always tend to think of religions as: "Religions of the heart". "religions of the mind", and "religions of practice"

Of course, they are all interrelated but this is how I make sense of the varies faiths and their perspectives on life.

Religions of the heart: Christianity and is variants (among others that I'd have to look up) are religions of the heart or emphasis in spirit.

Religions of the mind: Buddhism (I think Hinduism) and its variants focuses on stilling the mind. In Buddhism, all comes from the mind.

Religions of practice: Paganism, Catholicism, Muslim, JW, um, a lot of folk traditions are religions of practice. They put more emphasis on what you do rather than what you believe. Of course people will tell me it varies. That's just my point of view.

Which do you rescognate with?

Does your life and morals seem more heart related? Do you feel everything you interpret in your life from emotions etc come from the mind? and/or is your focus mainly on practice; and, practice shapes what you believe and your relations with other people.

I say that because you can make a pyramid of your faith. The foundation, say, the heart. Then lay out your morals that relate to the heart. Say you feel your deities love. Or peacefullness, etc may come from the heart.

Then you can go to mind or practice (or fill in the blank). What morals do you have that you can practice helping you define your religion based on what you think? Do you want to have a mind of peace?

Then you have practice. Lay out things that you practice on an everyday basis. What do you find you do the most? Are you a people person? family person? Do you find solace in prayer? Things like that.

Just some things to think about. It's not "one thing or another" just gets you to think about (and write down) your foundations--what is important to you--and go from there.

Then you can find what religions fit with what you believe and practice.

:herb:

For me, I stopped there. I live by heart, mind, and practice; but, my emphasis is on my mind because without a still mind, I can't discern what my heart is telling me. Without the mind, I can't have discipline in what I practice. I'm just free spirited.

Just thoughts, not a sermon. :)

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”
Well...

1. Many types of paganisms that embrace pantheism and animism goes with this. Wicca and its like variants. Druid (probably if not corrected). Then you have UU that lets you believe in a eclectic vary that calls to you without defining your faith as X or Y.

2. (The impure part) This sounds mushed with Christianity "we are sinful at heart" or Buddhism "our minds are dellusioned".

Both do not single out the beauty of creation and so on. They just have different perspectives in seeing it in relation to their core tenants of their faith.

I always tend to think of religions as: "Religions of the heart". "religions of the mind", and "religions of practice"

Of course, they are all interrelated but this is how I make sense of the varies faiths and their perspectives on life.

Religions of the heart: Christianity and is variants (among others that I'd have to look up) are religions of the heart or emphasis in spirit.

Religions of the mind: Buddhism (I think Hinduism) and its variants focuses on stilling the mind. In Buddhism, all comes from the mind.

Religions of practice: Paganism, Catholicism, Muslim, JW, um, a lot of folk traditions are religions of practice. They put more emphasis on what you do rather than what you believe. Of course people will tell me it varies. That's just my point of view.

Which do you rescognate with?

Does your life and morals seem more heart related? Do you feel everything you interpret in your life from emotions etc come from the mind? and/or is your focus mainly on practice; and, practice shapes what you believe and your relations with other people.

I say that because you can make a pyramid of your faith. The foundation, say, the heart. Then lay out your morals that relate to the heart. Say you feel your deities love. Or peacefullness, etc may come from the heart.

Then you can go to mind or practice (or fill in the blank). What morals do you have that you can practice helping you define your religion based on what you think? Do you want to have a mind of peace?

Then you have practice. Lay out things that you practice on an everyday basis. What do you find you do the most? Are you a people person? family person? Do you find solace in prayer? Things like that.

Just some things to think about. It's not "one thing or another" just gets you to think about (and write down) your foundations--what is important to you--and go from there.

Then you can find what religions fit with what you believe and practice.

:herb:

For me, I stopped there. I live by heart, mind, and practice; but, my emphasis is on my mind because without a still mind, I can't discern what my heart is telling me. Without the mind, I can't have discipline in what I practice. I'm just free spirited.

Just thoughts, not a sermon. :)

I would disagree with Islam only in the religion of practice group, in fact it is all.

Besides Muslim is not a religion, this is a sign of ignorance on your part.

No offense.

:)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Hi. I am a young woman. My father is an atheist, my mother is an atheist/agnostic, and my brother rejects religion entirely. I go to a panreligious church that welcomes all ideas, but seem to be mainly various flavors of atheist and pagan.

I have always felt a pull toward the spiritual. I came to recognize this as the essence of a deity, who is pure experience, beauty, and meaning, in existence, whose essence also binds us all to ourselves and sustains us. We are a part of it, but an impure part. We do not take the form or have the sheer power of this deity because of the rejection of basic beauty and purity in our world. However, our world still is filled with divinity and beauty as an intrinsic part of it.

My question is, did I create my own religion, or can I join another? Is there a religion that would allow me my interpretation of this God as long as it fit within its context?

I would rather have a religion due to the acceptance, community, and routines it brings. With rituals and services, I have a concrete way of feeling close to spirituality.

Please do not use this as an excuse to proselytize unless you really think I could be a religion.

(I think I am a "panentheist", variants of which are in Sikhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.)
Are you really looking for an organized religion or a group where you are at home and where you find the closeness you are looking for? Many 'spiritual but not religious' people are in groups that have various practices that you articulate.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@OP
I don't think we can choose what to believe. We already know what we believe, and over time that could possibly change, based on new experiences. So it's more to do with matching up what you already believe with existing faiths. So maybe reading the basics in those quick summaries encyclopedias have might give you a sense. Best wishes.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
http://www.playbuzz.com/benjaminbirely10/which-religion-best-suits-you

Hope this helps.
Or you could mix a few religions or philosophies together to suit your beliefs. :)
I actually made a quiz like this a while ago. Mine has 50 possible results though. ;)
https://www.qzzr.com/c/quiz/211932/what-religion-should-you-follow
Although it is just for fun, this or any other religions quiz (preferably long ones, theres a good one by SelectSmart that I think it pretty nice) can actually be pretty helpful if you need a direction. Once you have a direction you can use the quizzes again (there are specific ones like "what type of Pagan are you?" again, good ones from SelectSmart) to at least narrow your focus. Check some out @Chickie17!

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
I actually made a quiz like this a while ago. Mine has 50 possible results though. ;)
https://www.qzzr.com/c/quiz/211932/what-religion-should-you-follow
Although it is just for fun, this or any other religions quiz (preferably long ones, theres a good one by SelectSmart that I think it pretty nice) can actually be pretty helpful if you need a direction. Once you have a direction you can use the quizzes again (there are specific ones like "what type of Pagan are you?" again, good ones from SelectSmart) to at least narrow your focus. Check some out @Chickie17!

I often got Taoism, Hinduism and Mahayana Buddhism.
Sadly Hinduism comes up as a single religion in all.

Jabar

@Jabar I didn't notice this was moved to seekers.

I am not a seeker, so I am cutting this short.
Yes, but when making misconceptions about Islam would not really be appropriate unless you really have the information.

I get it however that it is all in your own perspective.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, but when making misconceptions about Islam would not really be appropriate unless you really have the information.

I get it however that it is all in your own perspective.

If you'd like to talk about it, create a thread in religious debates or talk about it in comparative religions.

Jabar

If you'd like to talk about it, create a thread in religious debates or talk about it in comparative religions.
I do not since it is not related to this topic.

This was all for the seeker to see the true side of Islam.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do not since it is not related to this topic.

This was all for the seeker to see the true side of Islam.

The OP isn't about Islam. I was sharing with him how I see religions. Some are based on faith/belief. Some based on mind/thoughts. Some based on practice/discipline. They are all interconnected. In my opinion, some religions emphasis one thing more than another. Whether the OP sees it that way, or wants to, I don't know. It's how I learned about religion and where I am now in a religion of practice. I found that just belief seemed empty. Everything comes from the mind; so, that is a default for me. However, the practices I have are the hallmark of my faith.

Whether or not that is Islam, I don't know. What I do know is that Islam pray, study the Quran, and worship as a community. I define these as practices.

If you'd like me to support why I say this, then we need to create another thread. However, what I said above is how I see religion and I felt it would help the OP gain perspective on each person's walk not just one faith but many.