1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking at the bright side of Scripture

Discussion in 'Religious Books and Scriptures' started by Spiderman, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Spiderman

Spiderman Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,135
    Religion:
    Shintopathic
    So, having been a bit anti-religious for the past ten months I have mainly been looking at the ugly sides of Scripture such as the contradictions, misogyny, God ordained genocide, eternal damnation, acceptance of slavery, polygamy, killing people for behaviors so petty as working on the wrong day of the week, and more.

All of that just has left me with quite a negative view of the Bible. But there is a lot of beauty and wisdom contained in the Bible and I think my focus should be more on that. If you would like to share something beautiful from the Old or New Testament that would be great.

Matthew 22:39
    ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

1 cor 13
    1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror;then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love

Matt 25
    31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

2. Spiderman

Spiderman Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,135
    Religion:
    Shintopathic
    So the point being that even as someone who still thinks much of Scripture is and embarrassment to God and Christianity, I still have to admit that if everyone lived according to what Christ taught, the hungry would be fed, the sick would all be cared for, there would be no hatred, no war, no using others, no jealousy, no coveting, no lying, not stealing, no selfishness, and no greed or self righteousness.

Right there would be the elimination of the vast majority of the world's misery!

3. JayJayDee

JayJayDee Avid JW Bible Student

Ratings:
    +551
    Religion:
    Jehovah's Witness
    And this is what the end result will be when the rule of God's kingdom is brought to the earth.
    Revelation 21:1-5 is a foregleam into the future....

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 I saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 I heard a loud voice from the throne say, “Look! God’s dwelling is here with humankind. He will dwell with them, and they will be his peoples. God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more. There will be no mourning, crying, or pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” 5 Then the one seated on the throne said, “Look! I’m making all things new.” He also said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

God will bring his first purpose to fulfillment. All that Adam and his wife lost for their children will be given back to us.

Can't wait....[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Kolibri

Kolibri Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +507
    Religion:
    One of Jehovah's Witnesses
    I love the hope of what is to come - and that we are given courage to see ourselves there.

So follow the way of good people
    And stay on the paths of the righteous,
    For only the upright will reside in the earth.
    And the blameless (or "the one who keeps integrity.") will remain in it.
    As for the wicked, they will be cut off from the earth,
    And the treacherous will be torn away from it.
    - Proverbs 2:20-22

"And you well know with all your heart and all your soul that not one word of all the good promises that Jehovah your God has spoken to you has failed. The have all come true for you. Not one word of them has failed." - Joshua 23:14b

#4 Kolibri, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mainliner

mainliner no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!

Ratings:
    +232
    Religion:
    mainisium
    Its easy to forget the sheer seriousness of what's going to be ...... Not only will all these things come to be , but the whole earth , stars , clouds , galaxy's. , animals etc etc even your lives savings and personal belongings are just nor going to be there anymore...... No more earth!!

we'll have to sculpture one through sound engineering , and the love of the world ;)

personally heavens the only place I'll honestly feel at home ..... Shame :(

they'll be new ground under your feet , its not only your emotions you'll have to steady;)