• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longest Thread in History

King Phenomenon

Attachments

• 3CD5538C-8129-469E-A89F-F8A133A09322.gif
    3CD5538C-8129-469E-A89F-F8A133A09322.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 28

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Once, when I was a student, I went home to see the family one weekend. As I was taking Systematic Entomology at the time and a collection was a requirement, I thought I would spend some time doing just that. I set out to a local stream with my black light and collecting equipment to see what I could find. As it happened, it was a good night for insects and the stream turned out to be an excellent location to collect. I collected specimens from dozens of families in a number of orders while enjoying the sound of the water and warmth of the evening.

After a time, as it had gotten rather late into the night, I decided to wrap up collecting and head home.

The route home was a secondary highway with a 55 mph speed limit at the time. In those days, I was driving a rather quick little car with a turbo-charged engine and proceeded towards home quite briskly. As I approached the city limit sign, where the speed limit dropped to 35 mph, I slowed my pace and continued on. I hadn't immediately noticed that a car had moved in behind me as I continued my drive going through the center of town. Near the city hall along Main Street, the darkness behind me was suddenly lit by colorful, flashing lights. Pulling over, I rolled down my window as the car with the flashing lights pulled in behind me.

Momentarily, an officer carrying a flashlight stepped up to my window and probed the interior of my car with his light and started to ask where I was headed, when he suddenly exclaimed "Are those bugs in there?". I remember laughing a little and telling him, "Why yes they are" as I noticed his light had settled on my collecting equipment. There is a device that is sometimes referred to as a "pooter", but I prefer aspirator. It consists of rubber stopper with two metal tubes protruding through it. On one of the tubes, an 18" piece of rubber tubing is connected. The stopper fits into clear glass or plastic vials and you can suck up insect specimens with it. Until that moment, it hadn't occurred to me how much it looks like drug paraphernalia.

I handed over my license and explained to him where I had been, where I was going and what I had been doing. He seemed to relax considerably and his attitude became friendlier. We chatted a bit more and he let me know that he was going to just give me a warning. But I should watch my speed, since I was doing over 60 when I got to the town speed limit sign.

I thanked him and as I drove away, I was thinking, "Boy, I'm glad I slowed down."

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Everyone who posts after this post is awesome. And if you post multiple times you will be multiplying your awesomeness.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
With any luck tomorrow I'll get some leads on a job stabbing people and making them bleed. With great luck I'll get a job as a full time people stabber.