• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Logos and Tao

PearlSeeker

I've heard that in some Chinese Bibles Logos is translated as Tao. Logos is a Greek word in the Gospel of John. In philosophy it usually means the underlying principle of the universe. Tao can't be defined but usually it means the same. However Logos in the Bible represents God's way/will (intermediary role).

Despite this difference I see a connection between finding flow state and following God's will.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've heard that in some Chinese Bibles Logos is translated as Tao. Logos is a Greek word in the Gospel of John. In philosophy it usually means the underlying principle of the universe. Tao can't be defined but usually it means the same. However Logos in the Bible represents God's way/will (intermediary role).

Despite this difference I see a connection between finding flow state and following God's will.

I guess from an external perspective. BBC - Religions - Taoism: Religious and philosophical Taoism

"Chinese and Western Taoist philosophy
A more useful distinction might be between Chinese Taoism and Westernised Taoism because some forms of Westernised Taoist philosophy add unauthentic new age and other faith elements to Taoism, while removing much of its religious content; and few Western 'Taoists' include Taoist gods and goddesses, liturgy, worship, or specifically religious meditative practices in their religious life."

PureX

Veteran Member

I agree. And that's a good observation.

PearlSeeker

I guess from an external perspective. BBC - Religions - Taoism: Religious and philosophical Taoism

"Chinese and Western Taoist philosophy
A more useful distinction might be between Chinese Taoism and Westernised Taoism because some forms of Westernised Taoist philosophy add unauthentic new age and other faith elements to Taoism, while removing much of its religious content; and few Western 'Taoists' include Taoist gods and goddesses, liturgy, worship, or specifically religious meditative practices in their religious life."
Chinese Taoism was also philosophical - Tao Te Ching and Zhuangzi.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

CS Lewis thought that Logos was Tao.

PearlSeeker

How to follow God's will? How to find harmony with Tao? Is there any difference?

Taoism emphasizes spontaneity, action without action, naturalness... There is a Way but it's unplanned. Bible focuses on commandments, plan... but God's word is also in the heart, "God's ways are as mysterious as the pathway of the wind" and the wind "blows where it wishes":
The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit. (John 3:8)​