• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local population size and it's effects

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
TLDR: What do you figure your local population size to be? And how does it affect your day to day life?

Well the last census said my town was bout 200k. That might sound like a lot, but believe me, it's a small town. Everyone knows everyone it seems.

Let me give an example. I started dating my boyfriend recently, and we also found out that we have the same psychiatrist, therapist, and case manager.... Yea had to break up with my therapist because that's an obvious no. Your therapist can't simultaneously be seeing your partner. For many reasons.

I have many inconveniences and annoyances from the past thanks to this town being so small. Like it's a condensed town only a few major public places so you usually run into somebody you know everytime you go to Walmart it seems.

I have social anxiety disorder. I think I've pretty much worked through it I can go out in public now, but maybe I haven't worked through it because no waaaay in hell I can work in the public such as a customer service person. Part of it is because how small this town is. I've wronged people, people have wronged me, I see the wrong person ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows. Better for me to hide in a kitchen. Where I still run into people from my past who I'd rather not.

Then, since my town is so sunny, we get 100k yearly winter visitors who come for our sunny winters. These are all old people with money, while the 200k locals includes babies and up. Besides agriculture (thanks to our sun) the winter visitors are the driving force of our economy. Work hours literally double in the restaurant industry cuz the rich old people be eating out all the time. Overtime for sure in the winter, and then down to 20 hours in the summer depending.

Anywho I'm done talking haha.

Tell me about your town's population size and what that looks like!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My town sits at around 70k. Funny, you say yours is 200k but its a small town. I don't feel like mine is small, but that could be because its large for the state. In most circumstances, unless the person lives in my neighborhood, I don't really see people from the past. There are a few neighboring cities that someone not from here might think they're all the same city; counting those, I'd guess the size to be around 120k?

My city's dumpy and has a high crime rate. It has very little to do for people that are used to living in better put together places, but more to do than all the surrounding rural towns. Though there's a wealthy end of town and a poor end of town, the wealthy end(even though it has some lovely million+ dollar homes) isn't as extravagant as what a larger area might have.

We have quite a few churches(varying from conservative Southern Baptist setups to the very liberal UUs), two mosques, a synagogue, and a local atheist organization. Dharmics and Pagans are **** out of luck and tend to have to drive an hour or more to get any kind of religious service(though the UU did host a Buddhist group precovid, which has since largely changed into a mindfulness meeting, which is not the same at all).

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
My town is about 63K people but it doesn't seem that big to me. It has most everything I need, but sometimes I have to go to the next town north or south to get something. It's pretty Caucasian and has all different ages but tends more toward older. The crime rate is pretty low I think. It's not flashy but it's not low end either. I like it.

Heyo

Veteran Member
TLDR: What do you figure your local population size to be? And how does it affect your day to day life?

Well the last census said my town was bout 200k. That might sound like a lot, but believe me, it's a small town. Everyone knows everyone it seems.

Let me give an example. I started dating my boyfriend recently, and we also found out that we have the same psychiatrist, therapist, and case manager.... Yea had to break up with my therapist because that's an obvious no. Your therapist can't simultaneously be seeing your partner. For many reasons.

I have many inconveniences and annoyances from the past thanks to this town being so small. Like it's a condensed town only a few major public places so you usually run into somebody you know everytime you go to Walmart it seems.

I have social anxiety disorder. I think I've pretty much worked through it I can go out in public now, but maybe I haven't worked through it because no waaaay in hell I can work in the public such as a customer service person. Part of it is because how small this town is. I've wronged people, people have wronged me, I see the wrong person ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows. Better for me to hide in a kitchen. Where I still run into people from my past who I'd rather not.

Then, since my town is so sunny, we get 100k yearly winter visitors who come for our sunny winters. These are all old people with money, while the 200k locals includes babies and up. Besides agriculture (thanks to our sun) the winter visitors are the driving force of our economy. Work hours literally double in the restaurant industry cuz the rich old people be eating out all the time. Overtime for sure in the winter, and then down to 20 hours in the summer depending.

Population: 430
Area: 18.72 km²
= 23 people per km²

I don't live in the town but at the outskirts, so here the density is even less, about 12/km².

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I live in Columbus, OH. There's a million people in the city and 2 million in the metro area. It's just getting more and more congested and crappier. This dump is not prepared to be a big city by any means.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I’m in London, which has a population of 9.5m, approx.

The effects of that on daily life are apparent in the anonymity that one experiences when travelling around the city, the time it takes to get out to other parts of the country (easiest to achieve by rail), the good public transport and other public services, the access to cultural entertainment…..and the pollution. Also the mix of ethnic groups and what that brings in its train in terms of cultural variety.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
My older brother corrected me and let me know that my city has only 100k permanent residents. I got confused because our county, which has the same name, has 200k with a couple little cities thrown in the mix

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

My village has a population of around 500, when we moved here we increased the population by 1%.

The village dates back to celtic times, the name of the village is the celtic for "good valley". There is little left of the original village, mostly rebuilt over time between the 6th and 19 centuries.

It lies on the banks of the river Ceou.

It has 3 flowers for the national towns and villages of flowers.

csm_label-ville-3fleurs-assoc0_4a5bc68ff8.png

And is rated 3 "@"s as an exceptional internet town/village.

There are several social clubs, hiking, gardning, eating, friendship etc.

It's very quiet in winter, during summer it's popular to visit. There are several fetes throughout the tourist season culminating in the 4 day party named Fete de De Louis.at the end of August. The feature of which is the sunday parade followed by a rock concert. Last year Saxon was the headline band. During that weekend the population shoots up to around 10,000. It's kind of hectic.

You can see our house from here

daglan (2).jpg

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
1,618 with a medium age of 50 according to the latest census. There were about 400 when we moved here 10 years ago and there's soon to be a population boom with 800 new houses about to be built.