• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liz Truss is our new PM

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Am I wrong in understanding that even Tory supporters are not all that enthusiastic about her election?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Am I wrong in understanding that even Tory supporters are not all that enthusiastic about her election?
I would argue yes. The whole cabinet is a disaster and this is noted across party lines. It's so bad that many Tory voters who didn't particularly like Johnson would still rather have Johnson than anyone else on offer.

I think we need to caveat this by saying that this only happens when a PM stands down halfway through his term and the party in power still has their mandate to rule, as far as the law sees it. They elect a new leader from the same party.

The people who moan that it is "undemocratic" that we don't vote for PM are basically asking for a presidential system as we never vote for the PM.

The same people will moan about how "embarrassing" it is that the PM is an idiot, yet seem to want to give them more power as a directly elected figure in a presidential system.

The same people will moan that it is so undemocratic that we can't get rid of the PM when he lies about everything like Boris, while also moaning that it is undemocratic when they are replaced, and that it's undemocratic to have a parliamentary system where it is easier to replace them, and that they should be directly elected and thus harder to replace (like Trump).

:D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The people who moan that it is "undemocratic" that we don't vote for PM are basically asking for a presidential system as we never vote for the PM.

The same people will moan about how "embarrassing" it is that the PM is an idiot, yet seem to want to give them more power as a directly elected figure in a presidential system.

The same people will moan that it is so undemocratic that we can't get rid of the PM when he lies about everything like Boris, while also moaning that it is undemocratic when they are replaced, and that it's undemocratic to have a parliamentary system where it is easier to replace them, and that they should be directly elected and thus harder to replace (like Trump).

Yes :)

I just thought I needed to clear up that this isn't how usual elections work.

RestlessSoul

What certainly is undemocratic, is a first-past-the-post electoral system which delivers an 80 seat majority to a party which won 44% of the popular vote. And that’s as true whichever of the two main parties is the beneficiary.

What certainly is undemocratic, is a first-past-the-post electoral system which delivers an 80 seat majority to a party which won 44% of the popular vote. And that’s as true whichever of the two main parties is the beneficiary.

It's also "undemocratic" when a party that gets 5% in a PR system gets to hold the government hostage by threatening to collapse the coalition.

All democracy is imperfect, and PR systems are no different. I don't agree these imperfections make them "undemocratic" though.

For example, FPtP is democratic at the local level. That this doesn't scale to national level proportionality doesn't mean it is undemocratic.

I think we should choose half of our MPs by sortition (i.e. a random selection from the general public) and it would mitigate many of the major problems and would be far more democratic even though these MPs would never receive a single vote.

At the moment, people who display the strongest support for PR, are often those who are most concerned about 'populism', the far-right, dishonest political rhetoric, etc.

PR would likely be a significant boost for all of those things.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A cross between Thatcher and Johnson who is purported to have said:

"I want people to buy British because it's the tastiest food and the most exciting food."
What could possibly go wrong with such an insightful leader at the helm?
I guess that Britain is okay with conservative leaders but they can't deal with those uppity liberal ones.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Whilst I can see where you are coming from, I disagree.
At the last General election, you had a choice Johnson or Corbyn; prior to that May or Corbyn, prior to that IIRC Milliband or Cameron. - so you did know who would be PM if that side won.

Not so with Truss, Brown, etc.

Whilst I can see where you are coming from, I disagree.
At the last General election, you had a choice Johnson or Corbyn; prior to that May or Corbyn, prior to that IIRC Milliband or Cameron. - so you did know who would be PM if that side won.

Not so with Truss, Brown, etc.

Then you want a presidential system, not a parliamentary one.

Under this you get a full term of Boris. Careful what you wish for ;)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think we need to caveat this by saying that this only happens when a PM stands down halfway through his term and the party in power still has their mandate to rule, as far as the law sees it. They elect a new leader from the same party.

Same as us Aussies.
You've voted in a party, rather than a person, basically. At the time the party was voted in, they had a leader, but it's possible the leadership changes during their term.

We had a spate of mid-term leadership changes here for a while.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Then you want a presidential system, not a parliamentary one.

Under this you get a full term of Boris. Careful what you wish for ;)
Well, Truss is much worse than Johnson. Basically we are being run by Steve Baker's secretive ERG gang of retrobates, Truss is his new puppet

Yerda

Veteran Member
Really can't wait to see what the fourth tory government in a decade has in store for the working poor, immigrants, The Woke Scourge, public funds, national infrastructure, the NHS and welfare systems. All very good I'm sure.