• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living with ego

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A couple definitions of ego:
Your ego is your conscious mind, the part of your identity that you consider your "self." If you say someone has "a big ego ," then you are saying he is too full of himself.

Freud mentioned ego is:
According to Freud, the ego is the part of personality that helps us deal with reality by mediating between the demands of the id, superego, and the environment. The ego prevents us from acting on every urge we have (produced by the id) and being so morally driven that we can't function properly

I like this quote:
“She was no longer wrestling with the grief, but could sit down with It as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts.” ~George Eliot

There is a good amount of talk with dropping ego and reaching higher consciousness (state of mind absent of ego). However, why drop the ego rather than let it be a "sharer of your thoughts?" When we process trauma we don't let go of it (we can't just forget it) but we accept it and in some cases, not all, learn from it. We don't have to be attached to the negative part of ego but then we don't have to alleviate it.

What do you believe about the ego in this context and/or what are your thoughts about it regardless of belief?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Your ego is your conscious mind, the part of your identity that you consider your "self." If you say someone has "a big ego ," then you are saying he is too full of himself.

Freud mentioned ego is:
According to Freud, the ego is the part of personality that helps us deal with reality by mediating between the demands of the id, superego, and the environment. The ego prevents us from acting on every urge we have (produced by the id) and being so morally driven that we can't function properly

I like this quote:
“She was no longer wrestling with the grief, but could sit down with It as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts.” ~George Eliot

There is a good amount of talk with dropping ego and reaching higher consciousness (state of mind absent of ego). However, why drop the ego rather than let it be a "sharer of your thoughts?" When we process trauma we don't let go of it (we can't just forget it) but we accept it and in some cases, not all, learn from it. We don't have to be attached to the negative part of ego but then we don't have to alleviate it.

What do you believe about the ego in this context and/or what are your thoughts about it regardless of belief?

Ego is an idea you don't have to believe in, but so is higher consciousness.
I keep it practical and just try to cope.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I never bought into the nonsense that selfhood is arrogance and thus called ego. To be a self is full of uniqueness, and commonality with others as well. It's something I celebrate. Self love is important, and seeing people try to lose themselves to be one with God irks me.

A self of arrogance is nothing to love though. A self of humility, and self love otoh is healthy.

And if a person is truly wonderful why not have an ego minus the arrogance. It's only when someone is rotten they should not love such rottenness.

The word ego connotes different things to different people I think.

I laugh at the idea that we are all one consciousness trying to lose the self. What an awful, empty way to see one's own being.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I don't consider my ego truly my "self". To me it's a temporary structure that developed during my childhood and will end at some point after I leave my physical body.

The expression "die before you die" to me means that the structure of life called the ego ends while we're still in the body. This removes a 'veil' that allows the deeper layer of our true selves, called the soul, to come to the fore.

I don't mean to imply that the ego is bad, just that it serves a very valuable purpose for quite some time. Eventually when that purpose is served, it goes over time.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
"Ego" is also major factor in repression, in that the ego can't deal with the repressed material. Perhaps the distinction between can't deal with it and won't deal with it is the issue of contention here?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Freud mentioned ego is:

I like this quote:

I see the ego as a minor player of who we are taking up less than 5% of the brains total resources.
It allows the illusion of self-awareness. The brain can't actually be aware of itself so it creates a self it can be aware even though that "self" is a lie.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Freud mentioned ego is:

I like this quote:

Ego in my understanding is where a person puts his/her/its Needs, Wants, before others. thinking only of what is best for self. and not what is best for others before self.
A selfless person always put the need of others first