• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living past 120

74x12

Genesis 6:3
There days will not number more than 120 years. I’ve brought this verse up on this site before, saying I think this means the lifespan of man is limited to 120 years. Some members countered, saying they thought it meant that 120 years after God said that, the flood happened.
I think it makes thematic sense that it means a life span of 120 years. From Noah onward, the Bible reports a steady decline in lifespan. This cycle culminates when the supposed author of the first five books of the Bible, Moses, dies at a ripe old age of 120 years.
There’s been one person in modern history reported to lived past 120 years. Some researchers have claimed that this person really didn’t live last 120 years.
Jeanne Calment - Wikipedia
So let’s say for the sake of argument that this lady didn’t really live past 120 years. As a biblical literalist, I’d be apt to believe that the Devil spread a lie about someone living past 120.
I have a wager with myself. If people start living past 120 in my lifetime, I will not be a biblical literalist. I can cop out if people start living that long by saying “well obviously it meant 120 years until the flood was going to happen”. But the lifespan explanation of the verse makes thematic sense, so I’m confident that that was the intent of the verse.
I think humanity is constantly doing harm to itself. Each generation passes on bad health habits and a worsened environment. I believe we have superficially propped ourselves up with technology, but this will plateau. I think Genesis 6:3 is a modern warning. Humanity will not be able to keep building themselves up. Like at the Tower of Babel, we can only build so high.
It was 120 years until the flood. This is why God says "my Spirit will not always strive with man" because in 120 years judgment would come. Rmember they continued to live much longer than 120 years even after the flood. Check the geanologies for yourself. Shem lived 500 years after the flood for example.

There days will not number more than 120 years. I’ve brought this verse up on this site before, saying I think this means the lifespan of man is limited to 120 years. Some members countered, saying they thought it meant that 120 years after God said that, the flood happened.
I think it makes thematic sense that it means a life span of 120 years. From Noah onward, the Bible reports a steady decline in lifespan. This cycle culminates when the supposed author of the first five books of the Bible, Moses, dies at a ripe old age of 120 years.
There’s been one person in modern history reported to lived past 120 years. Some researchers have claimed that this person really didn’t live last 120 years.
So let’s say for the sake of argument that this lady didn’t really live past 120 years. As a biblical literalist, I’d be apt to believe that the Devil spread a lie about someone living past 120.
I have a wager with myself. If people start living past 120 in my lifetime, I will not be a biblical literalist. I can cop out if people start living that long by saying “well obviously it meant 120 years until the flood was going to happen”. But the lifespan explanation of the verse makes thematic sense, so I’m confident that that was the intent of the verse.
I think humanity is constantly doing harm to itself. Each generation passes on bad health habits and a worsened environment. I believe we have superficially propped ourselves up with technology, but this will plateau. I think Genesis 6:3 is a modern warning. Humanity will not be able to keep building themselves up. Like at the Tower of Babel, we can only build so high.
I am of the opinion that the 120-years referred to the expectation for the "Flood" to arrive.

DNB

Christian
I believe, as yourself, that the decree was relating to the parameters of man's age and not the duration before the flood will begin. For the average life span of humans prior to the flood was almost a millennium, but soon after we see a steady decline in the age of men at death, until it finally plateaus at around 100 and has remained ever since.

And, of course, this gradual tapering of the life span would be expected, as such a constitutional change would require a few generations to develop. Although ages vary within the same generation, this is natural as all humans do no practice the same level of healthy living, nor are equally genetically disposed to the same genes of longevity. Thus, God's stipulation of 120 years is never expected to be a precise limit. So, whether or not Jeanne Calments, or anyone else, lived past 120 years, does not undermine the veracity of God's decree, for Noah lived 950 years, as similarly did all his contemporaries and their ancestors - the grand disparity alone clearly denotes that this was due to divine intervention, as a healthy diet could never make the difference of several centuries.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Since I am not a Bible literalist, I suppose my 2 cents is irrelevant here, nonetheless…

Eventually, we all must leave mom’s good cooking and move out, some more quickly than others.

In the grand scheme of things, it seems that mother earth’s tender (or not so tender) mercies are necessarily outgrown in time and that around 120 years might be a suggested limit to her patience.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I have a skin condition that will get me before too long. I am prone to skin cancers and have had many cut out already.

Such is life, in our younger days we did not appreciate what the sun could do to our exposed skin.

A lesson in modesty, plain and simple.

Regards Tony
Our pastor emeritas at 88 has that but he is more likely to perish if his pace maker stops working.