• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living past 120

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Genesis 6:3
There days will not number more than 120 years. I’ve brought this verse up on this site before, saying I think this means the lifespan of man is limited to 120 years. Some members countered, saying they thought it meant that 120 years after God said that, the flood happened.
I think it makes thematic sense that it means a life span of 120 years. From Noah onward, the Bible reports a steady decline in lifespan. This cycle culminates when the supposed author of the first five books of the Bible, Moses, dies at a ripe old age of 120 years.
There’s been one person in modern history reported to lived past 120 years. Some researchers have claimed that this person really didn’t live last 120 years.
Jeanne Calment - Wikipedia
So let’s say for the sake of argument that this lady didn’t really live past 120 years. As a biblical literalist, I’d be apt to believe that the Devil spread a lie about someone living past 120.
I have a wager with myself. If people start living past 120 in my lifetime, I will not be a biblical literalist. I can cop out if people start living that long by saying “well obviously it meant 120 years until the flood was going to happen”. But the lifespan explanation of the verse makes thematic sense, so I’m confident that that was the intent of the verse.
I think humanity is constantly doing harm to itself. Each generation passes on bad health habits and a worsened environment. I believe we have superficially propped ourselves up with technology, but this will plateau. I think Genesis 6:3 is a modern warning. Humanity will not be able to keep building themselves up. Like at the Tower of Babel, we can only build so high.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Jeanne Calments verified age was 122 years 164 days.

An interesting snippet about Jeanne Calment, when she was last interviewed for TV (age 119 i believe) she said "... I have only one wrinkle and im sitting on it"

Recent studies suggest the oldest that a human being could ever get was around 150.

Improved hygiene (not technology) over the last 150 years has extended the human lifespan from around 30 years to around 73 (world average that varies dramatically by country).

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
The violence has become so common that the L-RD is grieved at humanity's existence. We are all in danger of extinction, however there is this one person, one, who remains an exception. Maybe all of humanity need not be destroyed, if only they were all more like Noah.

This reminds me of the story of Moses and of his intercession for Israel at Mt. Sinai. In that story the L-RD threatens to destroy Israel and to start over with Moses. Moses, however, argues against this -- argues with the L-RD and wins the argument. So Israel cheats death, isn't wiped out. Moses becomes another ark which saves them, and they all become like Noah who is saved in an ark.

Moses lives exactly 120 years; but even he, as humble as he is and as faithful as he is, has an anger problem. His anger problem is the reason he will never see Abraham's Canaan Land. He cannot, and the L-RD refuses to strive with him, an angry man, for more than 120 years.

If Moses, the humblest of all men, could only hope for 120 years; how are we to hope for that many?

Muffled

Jesus in me
The violence has become so common that the L-RD is grieved at humanity's existence. We are all in danger of extinction, however there is this one person, one, who remains an exception. Maybe all of humanity need not be destroyed, if only they were all more like Noah.

This reminds me of the story of Moses and of his intercession for Israel at Mt. Sinai. In that story the L-RD threatens to destroy Israel and to start over with Moses. Moses, however, argues against this -- argues with the L-RD and wins the argument. So Israel cheats death, isn't wiped out. Moses becomes another ark which saves them, and they all become like Noah who is saved in an ark.

Moses lives exactly 120 years; but even he, as humble as he is and as faithful as he is, has an anger problem. His anger problem is the reason he will never see Abraham's Canaan Land. He cannot, and the L-RD refuses to strive with him, an angry man, for more than 120 years.

If Moses, the humblest of all men, could only hope for 120 years; how are we to hope for that many?

I believe one may hope in God.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe I have a goal of 102 but God decides if I make that or not.

I have a skin condition that will get me before too long. I am prone to skin cancers and have had many cut out already.

Such is life, in our younger days we did not appreciate what the sun could do to our exposed skin.

A lesson in modesty, plain and simple.

Regards Tony

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I have a skin condition that will get me before too long. I am prone to skin cancers and have had many cut out already.

Such is life, in our younger days we did not appreciate what the sun could do to our exposed skin.

Regards Tony
And Here I am in my early 20s a half decade in huffing and puffing tobacco heavily. I want to live to 120, but I feel like I’ll have some regrets if I make my sixties.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And Here I am in my early 20s a half decade in huffing and puffing tobacco heavily. I want to live to 120, but I feel like I’ll have some regrets if I make my sixties.

Yes smoking cancer sticks is not a long life strategy. :)

I have found with life that is the strangest thing, that even though we know things are not good, we still lack the motivation to change? Sometimes we need to go to rock bottom to embrace the wisdom that was always in front of us.

All the best, life has many opportunities and it is entirely up to us to embrace them.

Regards Tony

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member

Regards Tony
Don't write yourself off, just yet. There are always new developments in the works here in the US, where new medicine is potentially big money.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Don't write yourself off, just yet. There are always new developments in the works here in the US, where new medicine is potentially big money.

I live in an area that even getting a Dr appointment, then having the right treatment is hit and miss. There have been some great Dr's that have chosen to do remote service, but they come and go.

All the best to you and family.

Regards Tony

Muffled

Jesus in me

I think the most shocking is that they may find a way to reverse or stop aging. Then only an accident or disease could kill you.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I think the most shocking is that they may find a way to reverse or stop aging. Then only an accident or disease could kill you.
Yes, only an accident or disease or mental decline. I don't think anyone will live past 200 anytime soon, but I think some of those living now will be 200. I think its going to be rare but is going to start happening.

The challenge is how to keep feeding everyone, how to keep from making a mess (of nature) and how to keep people from fighting. We could do it if we got very good at genetic manipulation of plants. We could have plants that produce power (power plants heh), plants that grow into furniture, into housing, into supplies, into electronics and so on. All of that is possible, just as possible.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, only an accident or disease or mental decline. I don't think anyone will live past 200 anytime soon, but I think some of those living now will be 200. I think its going to be rare but is going to start happening.

The challenge is how to keep feeding everyone, how to keep from making a mess (of nature) and how to keep people from fighting. We could do it if we got very good at genetic manipulation of plants. We could have plants that produce power (power plants heh), plants that grow into furniture, into housing, into supplies, into electronics and so on. All of that is possible, just as possible.

I believe that is a Malthusian theory. It is quite possible that we are at maximum population or near it. The way eternal life works, there is no need for children and therefore the capability is removed.

TreeOfLife

I believe that is a Malthusian theory. It is quite possible that we are at maximum population or near it. The way eternal life works, there is no need for children and therefore the capability is removed.

Science shows that a double pressure atmosphere will increase life expectancy 10 fold.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don't think I would like being someone else's walking moneybag and beast of burden for slave wages past the 67 years already I have to get to in a decade just to retire.

Only the oligarchy and 1 % would appreciate such a luxurious lifespan.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Science shows that a double pressure atmosphere will increase life expectancy 10 fold.

Interesting.

On a lighter note. Faith has suggested that we can extend life infinitely, that one has choice over death, thing is, that the first death for the human species, in this state of being, is programed, but is not the end of life. :D

Regards Tony