• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living it up in the finite world

Just_me_Mike

On the subject of infinite and finite time, I have often read members posting that they are "living it up" now because they do not feel there is anything after the here and now.

At the same time often citing that a believer in the afterlife will often times water down the here and now, and its importance, for the hope of some blissful eternity.

Clearly not everyone does this, but what is your position on this? Do you think those that believe in the eternal life, in whatever form, are wasting time while here on Earth?

Nothing is a waste of time, time is an illusion. And how do we know that this life isn't an after-life of another life? Something only becomes a waste if they view it that way, but it is up to the individual. I see a lot of things being wasted, but c'est la vie. Life if lived is not wasted, no matter what follows.

Just_me_Mike

Nothing is a waste of time, time is an illusion. And how do we know that this life isn't an after-life of another life? Something only becomes a waste if they view it that way, but it is up to the individual. I see a lot of things being wasted, but c'est la vie. Life if lived is not wasted, no matter what follows.
I disagree

redneck_overalls.jpg

MSizer

MSizer
I think you make a good point by stating "not everyone" but I do feel that the highest priority is the current moment, as it is the only one I'm sure I have left.

I don't have anything too special to say about it. I expect most peopel will feel the same way I do. I think that if you believe in a here after, that's ok, and if that belief influences you to do things now that you otherwise might not, again, I don't object, provided those choices you make don't interfere other people's choices in how they live their lives. To say that one who lives as though there is another life is wasting time would depend on so many factors. My dad goes to church every sunday, and IMO there is no god to observe his worship, despite his certainty that there is. However, he gains satisfaction from it, and he'd otherwise probably just sit at home anyway, so that's an argument for belief in the afterlife. It's a hard question to answer because every individual has his or her own motivations.

Tristesse

On the subject of infinite and finite time, I have often read members posting that they are "living it up" now because they do not feel there is anything after the here and now.

At the same time often citing that a believer in the afterlife will often times water down the here and now, and its importance, for the hope of some blissful eternity.

Clearly not everyone does this, but what is your position on this? Do you think those that believe in the eternal life, in whatever form, are wasting time while here on Earth?

Well, if you honestly believe that there is some sort of afterlife that goes on for eternity, than whats the point of living the first 80 years? Wouldn't you want to go to that eternal afterlife as soon as possible? Whereas, I don't think there is any afterlife so it's very important for me to cherish this one life that I know I'm going to have. But I don't think most people whether religious or not actually live their life as if there is some afterlife.

Just_me_Mike

I think you make a good point by stating "not everyone" but I do feel that the highest priority is the current moment, as it is the only one I'm sure I have left.

I don't have anything too special to say about it. I expect most peopel will feel the same way I do. I think that if you believe in a here after, that's ok, and if that belief influences you to do things now that you otherwise might not, again, I don't object, provided those choices you make don't interfere other people's choices in how they live their lives. To say that one who lives as though there is another life is wasting time would depend on so many factors. My dad goes to church every sunday, and IMO there is no god to observe his worship, despite his certainty that there is. However, he gains satisfaction from it, and he'd otherwise probably just sit at home anyway, so that's an argument for belief in the afterlife. It's a hard question to answer because every individual has his or her own motivations.
Good reply, thinking about this very isntant moment in time in relation to finite reality it does indeed make it very special.
Thinking of this very moment in time, with the idea I am alread infinite, it still stays special, but in a different way. It seems more liberating, to know the troubles I face as I am here on Earth are somehow less troubling because I am not dealing with finite time limits.

Just_me_Mike

Well, if you honestly believe that there is some sort of afterlife that goes on for eternity, than whats the point of living the first 80 years? Wouldn't you want to go to that eternal afterlife as soon as possible? Whereas, I don't think there is any afterlife so it's very important for me to cherish this one life that I know I'm going to have. But I don't think most people whether religious or not actually live their life as if there is some afterlife.
It seem Paul had this struggle often.

"22": But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.
"23": For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
"24": Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Jesus came so that we would have life, and have it more abundantly. That doesn't sound like "wasted time" to me. Forget about "the sweet bye-and-bye." Life is here, now. If we live in Christ, we live more abundantly.

gnomon

I believe we have to survive.

I need food. I need sleep. I need shelter. I need other human beings.

Everything else is irrelevant and any thought of beyond death is pretty much a waste of mental energy. I do not believe that people who believe in an afterlife, generally speaking, are wasting time on Earth. The majority of religious believers I know, most of whom are Southern Baptists or Catholic, spend far more of their time living for the now and helping others than they ever do in talking about death. So just the fact that I know they believe there is a heaven doesn't mean much on a practical scale.

That's why I like pragmatism. Or at least reason number 47.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Life is meant to be lived. I believe in reincarnation but I believe that each life is precious and worth participating in to the full extent. This doesn't mean going crazy and wild, it means experiencing the beauty and wonder (and perhaps even the darker sides) and appreciating your own existence.

Just_me_Mike

Jesus came so that we would have life, and have it more abundantly. That doesn't sound like "wasted time" to me. Forget about "the sweet bye-and-bye." Life is here, now. If we live in Christ, we live more abundantly.
Yes I am sure that is what Paul meant...