• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LIVE MUSIC

Cooky

Veteran Member
I don't know the depths of Robert Hunters poetry and literature studies -I do know they are quite extensive. But none the less, it's quite the relief from the common language found in much of today's popular music.

...It's different for sure. And I like it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Here's another good story. A dead mans conversation after suicide. It's not so much that I'm drawn to darker lyrics, but more that I enjoy the deeper reflections of life and existence.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
@icehorse, you ever hear this one at a show? :) it would give me the chills.

...Sometimes I feel like a lost sailor. Hopefully not too lost. :)
View attachment 25954

Great songs you're mentioning - some I haven't thought about for a long time - thanks!

I can't recall for sure, but I think I heard this song live. Have you seen this? Lots of musicians appreciating the dead's storytelling:

I love the storytelling, and it seemed to me that Garcia was often like grandpa on the porch, telling stories to the grandkids :)

But I'm also attracted to individual lines:

- counting stars by candle light
- steal your face right off your head
- nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile
- please don't dominate the rap jack, if you've got nothing new to say
- there comes a redeemer and he slowly too fades away
- the sky was yellow and the sun was blue
- you can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get you then the lightning will
- don't tell me this town ain't got no heart, you just gotta poke around
- red and white, blue suede shoes, i'm uncle sam, how do you do?
(summertime done, come and gone, my oh my)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Though I have heard and am quite aware of the huge impact the Dead have made, they are simply one band I was never able to get into. I won't argue with Deadheads, but I am curious what the big appeal is in their music.
They were basically a jam band, best appreciated live.
I think it was more about maintaining a cultural meme then it was about the music.
Though the pot and LSD were contributors, as well.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Here's another story, this one about Spanish conquistador Hernan Cortez. Has to be one of the top live performances of all time.

Dave Matthew's featuring Warren Haynes:

Cooky

Veteran Member
head-2147328_640-1.png
Though the pot and LSD were contributors, as well.

Yes. They certainly are. :)

The trend towards microdosing is actually gaining momentum today.
Microdosing LSD Is A Growing Silicon Valley Trend. But Does It Actually Work? | HuffPost

Cooky

Veteran Member
The 2nd song, Althea, is the song I named my 3rd daughter after. Love this version. :)

Earthling

David Henson
Though I have heard and am quite aware of the huge impact the Dead have made, they are simply one band I was never able to get into. I won't argue with Deadheads, but I am curious what the big appeal is in their music.

I'm with you. Even as a backing band for one of my favorites, Bob Dylan, I just never could see it. The Keith Richards joke comes to mind. "What did the Grateful Dead fan say when he ran out of drugs? Man, this band sucks." I know they've had this feud since Altamont, but, I think Keith was right on when he said "The Grateful Dead is where everybody got it wrong." and "Just poodling about for hours and hours. Jerry Garcia, boring ****, man. Sorry, Jerry."

However. In music and art, to each his own, and I really liked the movie The Music Never Stopped.