• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Live like you're dying" and "what you are in the dark"

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I may have started a thread about this before but here it goes again. How someone acts when they know they're doomed and how they act when they're unobserved are supposedly the purest examples of character, but are they?

Living like you're dying poses a lot of issues towards character. Humans are built for long-term risk-reward analysis. Eliminate the long term and you're left with a truncated view of an individual. Suppose a man spent his entire life as a billionaire philanthropist but in his last moments decided to go all out for himself and his friends. Does this and should this devalue a lifetime of philanthropy? Does it and should it cast a negative light on the motives of the man? I don't think so.

As for what a person does when they're all alone, again humans are built for social interactions. Eliminating people from a situation eliminates the need for empathy and in most cases morality. The golden rule only applies when there are other beings to use as reference points. Also, in cases of depression and other psychological disorders that appear much more in isolation, why would anyone define themselves by these traits? Our relationships with others define ourselves much more than when we are alone.

In short, the thought that a person's character and identity can be reduced to the actions of a terminal hermit is silly, but I'm not only here to rant. Anyone else want to weigh in on the idea of character and how it is identified?

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Can you give a scenario of what you're talking about? There are numerous situations in
which a persons mentality may change from radical to crumbling into a cowardly pile of
**** and tears, I've seen myself.

That type of spontaneous behavior regarding your philanthropist "going all out" could mean
numerous things, a psychotic break to reaching his/her goals.

I can't context what exactly what you're asking...

Suicidal behavior? Could be a chemical imbalance...

Hey... I'm just here to help.

12iLIwc.jpg

Last edited: