• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live Brexit Deal Debate

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Live now on Youtube, a debate on May's proposed Brexit deal. Thread to debate that deal and watch the debate.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Any ideas how you think it will go ... other than a total cluster ...
This deal is a disaster and I hope they vote it down, which is looking likely. After that, given how chaotic this is, is anyone's guess.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
At the risk of getting my knackers shot off, what went wrong with Brexit? Elizabeth May?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
The real question is will it actually be a debate or will it turn into people screaming at each other in British? European politics hasn't to my knowledge turned into the spectacle that American politics are, so I'll go with the former. Hopefully.:)

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
At the risk of getting my knackers shot off, what went wrong with Brexit? Elizabeth May?
They put Remainers in charge of having us leave. They took two years to come up with a deal that puts us in an even worse position. They should have put a Leaver in charge.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
The real question is will it actually be a debate or will it turn into people screaming at each other in British? European politics hasn't to my knowledge turned into the spectacle that American politics are, so I'll go with the former. Hopefully.:)
It's very civilised. Watch.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
English parliament can get incredibly raucous.

It's very civilised. Watch.
Fine! Parliament can get incredibly raucous in a very civilized way! (As only the English can pull off.)

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
English parliament can get incredibly raucous.

Fine! Parliament can get incredibly raucous in a very civilized way! (As only the English can pull off.)
I was shocked that the US has nothing like Prime Minister's Questions or such live debates like we have. I think that's a bit closed off to their public.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't pretend to understand quaint little countries that I see as a tourists destination.
But isn't the problem that most Brits didn't want Brexit, despite the vote? And that this discussion would have been more useful prior to that rainy day?
Tom

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
But isn't the problem that most Brits didn't want Brexit, despite the vote?
No, this is rubbish. If we didn't want Brexit we wouldn't have voted for it. Very simple. What we don't want is the PM's proposed Brexit deal, or her to remain PM, and instead want to get on with leaving, ratify trade deals &c. &c.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Who is "we"? My recollection is that a small majority opposed it, but failed to vote.
Then they should have voted. End of story.

But if so, why is there a problem now? If "we" Brits want Brexit, then just get on with it.
The British people are not the British government.

So, this discussion would have been more useful prior to the vote? That was my point. Brexit was put to a vote without the voters knowing what it meant. Now, that's a problem.
We had the discussion long before the vote. We knew exactly what it meant. I take exception to people basically telling us Leavers that we didn't know what we were doing and couldn't vote like adults. We can and we did.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Then they should have voted. End of story.
So why is there a problem?
Don't get me wrong, I live in a country where we voted for Clinton, but got Trump. I understand the problems with systemic issues.

But if "we" Brits agreed to Brexit then there wouldn't be a problem. Now would there?
The problem is that "we" Brits didn't agree.

Rather like "we" USonians didn't agree to Trump or his policies. So trying to back them up with "We voted for him" doesn't get much traction politically.
Tom

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
But if "we" Brits agreed to Brexit then there wouldn't be a problem. Now would there?
The problem is that "we" Brits didn't agree.
No, the problem is the government's response to the vote. We have a government led by a Remainer who appears to be doing everything she can to keep us in the EU. This is not what we voted for.

Why is this hard for you?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
We have a government led by a Remainer who appears to be doing everything she can to keep us in the EU.
Was she appointed by the Queen, or was she elected by the same people who voted in Brexit?

Let me repeat, I don't pretend to understand British politics or the current political landscape. I have a terrible time understanding my own country. I can't be bothered with much of Olde Europe and their issues.
Tom

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Was she appointed by the Queen, or was she elected by the same people who voted in Brexit?
She was appointed first by her own party after Cameron left because of the result, as he was a Remainer, as part of an interparty vote. She then called a general election, wherein she lost more seats than she gained, but because of how our system works she stayed in power in a 'Confidence and Supply' deal with the DUP, a fringe Northern Irish party who she needed to join with in order to keep her small majority in Parliament. So strictly speaking she lost her majority, needs another party to prop her up, and as far as the British are concerned (or many of us) wasn't really put there by us, but by her own party with the support of a then unknown fringe party no-one voted for.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
She was appointed first by her own party after Cameron left because of the result, as he was a Remainer, as part of an interparty vote. She then called a general election, wherein she lost more seats than she gained, but because of how our system works she stayed in power in a 'Confidence and Supply' deal with the DUP, a fringe Northern Irish party who she needed to join with in order to keep her small majority in Parliament. So strictly speaking she lost her majority, needs another party to prop her up, and as far as the British are concerned (or many of us) wasn't really put there by us, but by her own party with the support of a then unknown fringe party no-one voted for.

Like I said, I don't pretend to understand the nuances of what's going on.
I hope that your dissolution of the Union goes better than the one that happened here in the USA in the mid 19th century. It was unpleasant.
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not sure I agree given what's been happening in France recently.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Like I said, I don't pretend to understand the nuances of what's going on.
I hope that your dissolution of the Union goes better than the one that happened here in the USA in the mid 19th century. It was unpleasant.
Tom
Given what's likely to happen to the UK itself with Scotland wanting to be part of the EU, I'm guessing that once breaking apart starts it will continue.