• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little peeves in life - PC life, that is

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
OK. A little issue that some might be able to help me with. I usually am able to sort most things out on PCs but this one has just got me rather annoyed so perhaps a little befuddled too. I have Windows 10 (not by choice since I still prefer Windows 7 and as such it is set up mainly as per 7), and after a recent update (presumably) I have File Explorer in a state not exactly as I want it.

What I want is for Explorer to open just showing my drives, and opening to one folder (for which I had a method but have lost), and with the normal two panes, such that clicking on one folder on the left expands to show folders or files within on the right. I don't want anything in view other than this - like libraries, the usual Quick Access shortcuts or ribbon above. At the moment I am in 'This PC' state, have lost much that I don't want above but have also lost the second pane, such that clicking on a drive or folder just replaces the screen with the contents of that drive or folder rather than expanding it. I can live with this but hopefully there is some method to regain what I used to have, that is, the second details pane without all that might come with such.

None of the options seems to give me this. It's quite possible that I have used tweaks and something has broken in the process of updating. And all this disruption occurred apparently after an update, which presumably came from MS but might not have - other things were altered too (like God mode, but I have that back to how I want it). Any kind thoughts.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
God mode?!

I don't know if this is a kind thought. I used to have a Windows-based computer and spent many a happy hour engaged in this sort of thing. Eventually I managed to solve all these annoying problems at a stroke. I got an iPad. Perhaps that wouldn't be an option for you in terms of what you use your computer for, but personally I'll never be going back to the Other Side.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
God mode?!

I don't know if this is a kind thought. I used to have a Windows-based computer and spent many a happy hour engaged in this sort of thing. Eventually I managed to solve all these annoying problems at a stroke. I got an iPad. Perhaps that wouldn't be an option for you in terms of what you use your computer for, but personally I'll never be going back to the Other Side.

Some of us appreciate a larger screen. :D And I might have looked elsewhere some years back for other options than MS stuff, but value for money and options available led me down the garden to PC world (from Win 98 onwards). :oops: Not met God mode? All the necessary bits of Settings/Information and such in one scrollable screen, and being very useful (even God-like). Has endured over several versions of Windows.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think iPads are good because modern ones are powerful, and also because they don't suck quite the internet bandwidth due to not as many updates or as bloated of programs as the PC. As for the actual problem, I can never give Windows advice any more, because there are so many aspects to Windows, I'll never be able to even figure it out to troubleshoot.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Thanks - It seems like most others I have come across. It assumes one has the two panes to start with when I have just the one pane and no way it seems to get the right-hand pane apart from perhaps a resort to a complete reset, and I don't want to do this as there are some benefits with the current set-up and I would rather stick with it. I had to resort to some registry manipulation as I recall to remove Libraries and such from the pane before. I just want a simple screen just showing what is on my drives without anything else basically, and using the two panes such that one can see the contents in the right pane by clicking any folder in the left. I seem to have most of this apart from the two panes. All a bit weird. :D

Thanks - It seems like most others I have come across. It assumes one has the two panes to start with when I have just the one pane and no way it seems to get the right-hand pane apart from perhaps a resort to a complete reset, and I don't want to do this as there are some benefits with the current set-up and I would rather stick with it. I had to resort to some registry manipulation as I recall to remove Libraries and such from the pane before. I just want a simple screen just showing what is on my drives without anything else basically, and using the two panes such that one can see the contents in the right pane by clicking any folder in the left. I seem to have most of this apart from the two panes. All a bit weird. :D

The 'quick access' bar is column 1, expand it out and select show all folders.

Now you can navigate through folders in this pane and when you open one it opens in 'column 2' which is the main window.

You are looking for a 3rd column, rather than repurposing the 2 you have already.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but it's functionally pretty much the same.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The 'quick access' bar is column 1, expand it out and select show all folders.

Now you can navigate through folders in this pane and when you open one it opens in 'column 2' which is the main window.

You are looking for a 3rd column, rather than repurposing the 2 you have already.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but it's functionally pretty much the same.

This is what I have - the second after clicking the drive:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

This might help - and if I click on any folder then the contents just replace the previous screen - all in one pane.

Last edited:
This is what I have - the second after clicking the drive:

View attachment 40368

View attachment 40369
This might help - and if I click on any folder then the contents just replace the previous screen - all in one pane.

View tab, then navigation pane, then make sure navigation pane is checked and should get a 2nd column on the left of screen.

Right click on that then show all folders and can use the left pane to navigate folders and right pane to show contents of what you click on.

View tab, then navigation pane, then make sure navigation pane is checked and should get a 2nd column on the left of screen.

Right click on that then show all folders and can use the left pane to navigate folders and right pane to show contents of what you click on.

Looks like this (sorry about quality had to photo it cos it's not my normal computer)

IMG_20200531_224422.jpg

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Thanks - it was the Navigation Pane not being checked in View, but I'll get all the Libraries, Network, etc, that I don't want. Can't seem to be able to get rid of these - which has always been a problem with Windows. I might just stick with what I have, but knowing at least now that I can change it.