• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Advice (Was I being rude?)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I posted in another thread (oddly enough, a discussion about why vampires cannot go into the sun in a certain game, lol). I may have been rude, although I do not see it as so. Two others have voiced their opinions that I was rude, so I'd like for you to review my words, and theirs, and tell me if I was rude. (I will defend my words, if I believe it is not rude)Thanks!

Me:

As both the bible and beowulf are mostly myth with some seeds of truth put in, I credit them with equal validity. However, I will admit that there is no mention of her in the Bible, Torah, or Qu'Ran. I'm not suggesting it really happened either.
We were talking about "Lilith", supposedly the first vampire, or mother of the first vampire.

Other Person:

I'm sorry but I don't see where you get the right or the gaul to say that my Holy book is fiction or myth. I suggest that you keeop those kinds opinions to yourself, as you may offend someone again, as you already have.
Me: (This was intended to be slightly humorous)

*Sarcasm Warning*

I'm sorry, but I don't see where you get the right, or the gall, to say that your Holy Book is fact, or truth. I suggest that you keep those kind of opinions to yourself, as you may offend someone, as you already have.

*Sarcasm Complete*

If you cannot handle that I do not believe that the bible is completely true, then don't leave your house, watch tv, go on the internet, or have contact with the outside world. You're bound to meet folks much more unsavoury towards Christians than I (Who was born one, and was one, up until two years ago, when I converted). If I call "Beowulf" my Holy Book, do people still have the right to call it fiction (For posterity's sake, I don't call "Beowulf" my Holy Book)? Of course. It is their opinion. I wouldn't have it any other way. Notice I didn't say that the Bible was a complete farce. I said it is myth mixed in with fact, as are most ancient stories. Certainly, no one believes that the bible is 100% true anymore, do they?
Other Other Person:

You really got to learn to keep your mouth shut. Him believeing the Bible and saying it is fact isnt hurting anyone, and if it offends you than you seriously need to go get some help. Your little Beowulf comparison isnt exceptable because it is purposely made fiction, the author would tell you so, and it is unreligous, ect. but to start accusing an actual Holy Book, wether it be the Bible, the Torah, the Qoran is disrespectful, rude, and abnoxious. Its ok say that YOU dont believe in it, or believe it is fact, but to state your opinion as fact the way you did, and in such a manner, is just as I said, disrespecful, rude, and abnoxious. I'll also add that it it intolerent.

And yes many people do believe that the Bible is 100% true.
I'm slightly confused by this. Was the other person not the first to be offended by my opinion? The author of Beowulf never said it was fiction, in fact, we don't know the author. I never "accused" a Holy Book of being false, I merely stated my opinion that much of the Bible is myth, with seeds of truth for every part. Why is it disrespectful for me to say that it is only partly fact, but not for another to say that it is true?

Please offer advice, thanks!

Circle_One

I don't think it was disrespectful or rude of you to say that. You stated your opinion regarding the bible to be myth mixed with truth, just as they stated their opinions regarding the bible being 100% true. Why is it fine for them to state their opinions as fact, but as soon as your opinions are not the same as theirs, you are the one being disrespectful?

SoulTYPE

I don't see where you were rude. Perhaps if yu look at a certain post in the Man reated God thread, you will see rude.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Ah, you have been attacked by the myopic religious right. They think that any opinion differing from theirs is rude. How droll.

Personally, I would have told them:

"I'm not being rude; it's just that you are totally insignificant! :D "

Well, OK, I probably wouldn't have said that, but I would have thought it real hard!!! ;)

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
I do not see any incriminating evidence that you are even
remotely typing anything "rude". I really need to stop watching
Law & Order.

I say:
Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but your typing will never hurt me :D

Back to cooking
womancooking.gif

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I did not see anything Rude, disprespectful, or ignorant in your post, Druidus.
The other posters that you referenced probably only believe that opinions that agree with theirs are conciderate and acceptable. Too bad for them that this forum is open to us expressing our opinions as long as it is done without personally attacking another person. When I read their posts, it seemd to be that they were the ones who were rude and disrespectful, as well as, closed-minded. They refused to think about how offensive their responses could have been.

Your post does not intentionally offend anyone. You are stating your opinion. Opinons are like Tushholes, everyone has one, and noone has to agree with them or like them.

I am so glad that I am a member of a forum that allows us to post how we feel. I am also glad to live in a country that allows us to believe or not believe in any religion, and also allows to have our own opinions about many issues our society faces today.

{APPLAUSE} for you Druidus. You handled yourself very respectfully when obviously your views were not accepted, but instead judged by those who did not agree. I honestly do not believe I would have handled it as well as you did.

Circle_One, I love the signature you have with your posts. Your response to this thread is very true for many people in our society who are afraid to state what they believe because of people like the ones who posted that Druidus' original post was offensive.

fromthe heart

I don't personally see what you said to be rude...I think you may have kicked someones emotions up a little though...many of us get deeply hurt over someone saying things against how we believe and react out of the hurt we feel...I think in these cases and I'm guilty of this too we need to just step back when something makes us go ouch and see if intent was the case...usually it isn't and a too quick response leads to what you encountered. It's like telling someone in their favorite dress up clothes that they look shabby...lol. Sorry you encountered this and I can completely relate to your situation...been there too.

KateTacular

You weren't rude at all. Those people are just extremely oversensitive jerks. My response to them probably would have been considered rude...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Druidus, someone telling you to "learn to keep your mouth shut" just ain't my idea of politeness. I'd say your accusors crossed the line into rudeness, not you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The more unstable the foundations of a belief the more rabidly adherants will defend it. I doubt if anyone would get bent out of shape if I maintained that the Earth was flat -- they's probably find me amusing.

Linus

You were fine, Druidus. The other person just took your opinions WAY too personally. I don't agree with half of the things said here on this forum, but hey, who cares? You think it's myth, then that's what you think. So what? What if I think that the Bill Clinton is a disguised robot alien who came to earth to steal the earth's supply of Hot dogs, then that's what I think. Who cares.

By the way, Bill Clinton is obviously not a robot alien, He is clearly a earth robot. Duh.:D

Runt

I think the speakers (or rather writers) you quoted got upset over a misinterpretation of the word "myth". If I am understanding your posts correctly, you were using the word "myth" to indicate religious lore, and not to suggest that the Bible is "untrue". I think they saw the word "myth" and thought you were claiming that the Bible is false.

I do not think you were rude, but I think you could have alleviated the situation by perhaps explaining to them what you meant when you equated the Bible with the word "myth".

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Nup, not rude. Some people just can't stand that other people don't believe the same things they do.
I mean God, you and I didn't agree on the meat thing doesn't mean you're rude because you have an opposing opinion.