• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Literal vs. Allegorical Interpretation

Does scripture have more than one level of meaning or is it set on only one way of viewing things?

• More than one

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Only one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Does scripture have more than one level of meaning or is it set on only one way of viewing things (that being the literal way)?

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "more than one" but purely from an anthropological/atheistic view of scripture as something that is handed down and re-interpreted through the generations.

Sultan Of Swing

Does scripture have more than one level of meaning or is it set on only one way of viewing things (that being the literal way)?
I chose more than one not because the Bible is unclear or subjective, no much of it is very clear and can't really be interpreted in a different way.

I chose more than one because there are verses which have a immediate, literal meaning while also having a more long-term symbolic meaning. This really applies to a lot of the prophecies in Isaiah which both signify things that may come to pass in the short term while also the greater messianic prophecies concerning salvation in Jesus Christ.

Sultan Of Swing

For example can I also not use this to justify the Koran by saying some parts are literal and some parts are not?
No, you have to look at the genre of the text. The Bible is made up of 66 different books. The Gospels are clearly historical biography. Prophecies in Isaiah or Daniel are just that, prophecies, and so use a lot of symbolic language that is clearly metaphorical.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
No, you have to look at the genre of the text. The Bible is made up of 66 different books. The Gospels are clearly historical biography. Prophecies in Isaiah or Daniel are just that, prophecies, and so use a lot of symbolic language that is clearly metaphorical.

But the Koran also uses prophecy and neither book has historical evidence.

Sultan Of Swing

Because then you can ignore the parts that contradict ethics or science which you cannot do if it is all literal.
Nah, not really. There are different genres and clear symbolic imagery, but if a command is given in the New Testament or a specific teaching you can't really get around that haha.

You can't just assert something is non-literal, you'd have to argue for it and demonstrate why this is clear from the text itself.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Nah, not really. There are different genres and clear symbolic imagery, but if a command is given in the New Testament or a specific teaching you can't really get around that haha.

You can't just assert something is non-literal, you'd have to argue for it and demonstrate why this is clear from the text itself.

Cool, so is the Adam and Eve story literal?

Sultan Of Swing

Cool, so is the Adam and Eve story literal?
Adam and Eve, the people, are quite clearly literal yes. I'm not entirely sure on the whole Creation story itself, there are a number of different arguments purely based on the text. Origen in the 4th century, long long before scientific developments, was arguing for an allegorical interpretation based on his textual analysis. As I said, I'm not really 100% decided myself, it isn't a fundamental core doctrine of my faith.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Adam and Eve, the people, are quite clearly literal yes. I'm not entirely sure on the whole Creation story itself, there are a number of different arguments purely based on the text. Origen in the 4th century, long long before scientific developments, was arguing for an allegorical interpretation based on his textual analysis. As I said, I'm not really 100% decided myself, it isn't a fundamental core doctrine of my faith.

So regardless you believe all humans are descend from one maternal and paternal ancestor?