• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Listen to your gut...it never lies

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Very insightful thread Matthew. :)

Experience is the best teacher. But when experience is lacking, you have to rely on your instincts. Gut instinct is a feeling, not based on anything but the feeling itself. I think we are all intuitive by nature but some of us are more intuitive and some are more trusting than others because we don't want to believe bad things about people. Its hard when we hear things that don't gel with what we know about someone.

My old Nana used to say "don't believe any of what you hear and only half of what you see". That was good advice.
Sometimes experience teaches us painfully that our trust in someone was misplaced. And then that may set us up to mistrust others. Sad cycle isn't it?

But we cannot know people like God knows them. We cannot read hearts....we can only judge by actions and words.
Sometimes we can forgive...but other times the person is unforgivable.

These are all life lessons. All we can hope is that we end up becoming better human beings for the experience instead of basket cases. :(

Kolibri

From a scriptural standpoint our gut is not to be the final arbitrator. I think of Ps 119:160 and John 17:17

"The very essence of your work is truth, And all your righteous judgments endure forever." - Psalm 119:160

Still our intuition is a valuable tool when it is not clouded by injury or a lack of enough information (spiritual or otherwise).
I think some of the best works of art come from when the one with intuition reads themselves to find exactly what needs to said in whatever form or art they apply themselves too.

Last edited:

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I don't have "gut feelings" anymore. It seems to be a childish way of sensing the world. It's not that I don't occasionally have urges or senses of being creeped out, but I attribute those to either observable or latent factors.

I don't believe there is such a thing as intuition or gut feelings, just perceptions that have a premise for being perceived. (That guy over there creeps me out because he behaves in a way that most people don't; furthermore, his behavior sort of reminds me of this other creepy guy I used to know who attacked someone once. Therefore, I have a strong gut feeling that this guy is unsafe.)

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't think I have "gut feelings" anymore. It seems to be a childish way of sensing the world. It's not that I don't occasionally have urges or senses of being creeped out, but I attribute those to either observable or latent factors.
I have a feeling you may be right.

I don't believe there is such a thing as intuition or gut feelings, just perceptions that have a premise for being perceived.
A rose, by any other name...

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
So there are so many quotes that glorify the idea of listening and trusting in what your gut tells you and that it doesn't lie.
Like in just about everything, people don't want to be told about what's hard, they want what's quick and easy. Platitudes are easier that insight.

shawn001

Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being
The emerging and surprising view of how the enteric nervous system in our bellies goes far beyond just processing the food we eat

Think Twice: How the Gut's "Second Brain" Influences Mood and Well-Being - Scientific American

Gut instincts: The secrets of your second brain

When it comes to your moods, decisions and behaviour, the brain in your head is not the only one doing the thinking
Gut instincts: The secrets of your second brain