• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Linux Kernel Report Jan 2019

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
This may interest some of you. I watched this video about current and upcoming changes to the linux Kernel.
It was by a seemingly homeless guy talking on youtube, actually one of the kernel developers who had wandered into the presentation room and seeing the podium decided to start talking to nobody in particular. I think they lured him into there with snacks but anyway. He knew a lot about kernel development.

Anyway several things that made it interesting was that he discussed the resolution of the scary kernel bug that came out a year ago as well as some changes that might affect all of us in the near future (near meaning within 5 years).

@Jumi has a thread (here about this terrible secret Intel feature which turned unsurprisingly into a security hole. The video spends some time discussing how that was fixed in Linux and how the fix is still ongoing.

This would interest developers:
Around minute 22 the presenter discusses a new change within the Kernel, an experimental virtual, turing complete computer within the kernel. They are calling it the BP Filter. Its job is to make the kernel more adaptable and smaller in size, and he discusses the security of it and what it will do. If implemented it will help smart phones get updated more often.

This might interest more people who are not developers:
Around minute 32 he discusses the problem with smart phones that they are very often running kernels that are never updated, never or rarely patched. He mentions some changes to Android requiring particular versions of kernels and ties this also with the idea of the new BPF which will bring android smart phones somewhere into the realm of security. (What they really aren't right now.)

He doesn't mention this but in fact at this moment the only cheap smart phones with any measure of security are brand new android phones and i-phones. For a phone to be secure it has to have an up to date kernel.

Ellen Brown

I have an LG A....... something and it does really strange things at times. Shakes head, and walks off mumbling to self...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
nerds.jpg

GoodbyeDave

The goal for Android is to turn it from a modified Linux kernel to a pure Linux kernel with plug-ins. That will make it far easier to maintain.

At least with Linux there are people who actually know what's inside it! With Windows, for reasons of commercial security almost all of the developers are only allowed to see the code they are working on; all the other modules are just black boxes to them. There are only a handful of people trusted to look at anything.

Ellen Brown

The goal for Android is to turn it from a modified Linux kernel to a pure Linux kernel with plug-ins. That will make it far easier to maintain.

At least with Linux there are people who actually know what's inside it! With Windows, for reasons of commercial security almost all of the developers are only allowed to see the code they are working on; all the other modules are just black boxes to them. There are only a handful of people trusted to look at anything.

Same with intel when I was there.

Shaul

Premium Member
Gill dang it, now I have to start questioning Linux too?! Oh well, back to CP/M. Or maybe my trusty TI 99/4A. Where’s Dennis Ritchie when we need him?!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
For those following here is a little more info. This new BP filter code in the kernel has opened a different type of programming in which programs are not run with a scheduler. They are short programs which run to completion, don't sleep, don't pause, event driven. They are server type programs like daemons.

They have an advantage over typical user-mode programs (for some things mostly server related), because they are able to access kernel resources without being a security risk where a user-mode program would create a security risk. They don't panic the kernel, so they are a safer for testing on working systems than a kernel mode driver. According to the following video they are already in heavy use by Netflix, Facebook and Cloudflare; and they allow better faster testing of kernel use.

The presenter compares them to Node Javascript api's since they run without scheduling or context switching.

Are they an actual new programming paradigm? I think that is a slight overstatement, but we will see.